The Gasoline Blues

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two weeks of not using a car couldn't happen here in Texas

unless I was flat on my back with a herniated disc.

Back in my youth I got all my understanding of the USA from a programme called 'Wagon Train'. They got around in these:

wagontrain.jpg

They also had this nifty thing called the Pony Express which was much more romantic than FedEx.

Now surely it would be much easier to revive these than it was to invent them in the first place? Which would create an environmentally friendly way of going to see your in-laws, getting your Mosaics delvered etc.

What is more wagons like the above are much more spacious than S.U.V.s. With a few solar panels you could have a sound system, DVDs for the kids etc.

What is more, the family with an S.U.V. and four kids could have eight kids because there's so much more room.

Which would mean there'd be no need for condoms.

Which would please the Christian Right.

Tomorrow I will solve the Middle East crisis.

Last night, the Boston news stations were reporting on a station in Wrentham, MA that was selling 87 octane for $3.39. They were talking to people at the pumps and they were all complaining how expensive it was to drive... a couple of them were saying this as they pumped the gas into their SUV. :) BTW, one of the newscasts said that SUV sales hit a record level last month. People are still buying their SUVs.

My wife tells me that it's probably going to cost us over $600 per month this winter to heat the house at the current oil prices. We'll be feeling the pinch up here pretty badly soon. At least with my Prius, my gas budget won't break our bank.

My wife's getting tired of filling up her Sienna mini-van to the tune of almost $50 every other week. She has me looking into the Toyota Highlander hybrid. It gets 33 mpg on the highway. Not great, but better than her 99 Sienna (which gets around 18). The thing is, we can't afford one of these Highlanders. They start at $33K! Oh well, one can dream. :D

Kevin

The same Highlander Hybrid that upthread was still awful because it's an SUV (when you said you didn't care about the fuel economy, you just wanted people out of trucks)?

Wow, hmmm, well, hmmm...

The same Highlander Hybrid that upthread was still awful because it's an SUV (when you said you didn't care about the fuel economy, you just wanted people out of trucks)?

Wow, hmmm, well, hmmm...

Paul, read what I wrote. Yes, my wife drives a Sienna van. Do I commute to work with one? No. Does she commute in Boston traffic with it? No. It's a "kid's bus". One or two mile jaunts. Maybe a 10 mile one thrown in there to bring one of daughters to a clarinet or violin lesson.

BTW, the reason I want my wife in a bigger vehicle is because seemingly all of the mom-mobiles are huge SUVs. There are more than a few Hummers. 5 or 6 easy. If she's only driving down the road to drop the kids off at school and everyone else has a monster truck, she's gonna have a bigger car too. I might wish the vehicles were smaller but I ain't gonna jeopardize my family on a wish. I still don't like what we have to pay for this "priviledge" of driving a mini-van but for these short drives, it's worth it to me. Funny thing is, we only have two daughters. We really don't need the thing. :)

Kevin

I was discussing this over lunch the other day.

I said that I thought that we would hit $5.00/gal

before this administration is done with us

and the fellow I was talking to said,

"Hell, it'll be before the end of this year!"

Pure speculation of course, but what if?

Just reported on Fox News, $5.57/gallon in Atlanta

Um.... :mellow:

I was discussing this over lunch the other day.

I said that I thought that we would hit $5.00/gal

before this administration is done with us

and the fellow I was talking to said,

"Hell, it'll be before the end of this year!"

Pure speculation of course, but what if?

Just reported on Fox News, $5.57/gallon in Atlanta

Um.... :mellow:

hahahaha, yeah, Joe! - well, actually, it's not funny, but...

it seems this administration has always pulled off the unbelieveable

(and, please, I do not want to hear claptrap about "it was Katrina and not this administration..."

in case anyone was going there). :rolleyes:

I'd blame Clinton

"...Bush's chief environment adviser, James Connaughton, blamed the Clinton administration for making America's energy problems worse by presiding over increased oil imports, less reliance on U.S. coal and no new refineries. He said: 'We inherited an energy crisis.'"