Jimmy Webb - The Moon's A Harsh Mistress

I started looking for this item soon after Rhino Handmade listed it as sold out (the story of my life). I took up the Rhino website's suggestion that I check with other retailers, but almost all of them indicated that the item was unavailable. Finally, CD Universe gave me a little hope--they said the item was backordered but I placed an order anyway and paid around $86 for the set, including shipping (about the same price as if I bought it through Rhino).

However, being pessimistic about whether CD Universe would actually fill my order, I continued to look for other sources. To my surprise, Amazon, which just a couple weeks ago indicated the box was sold out, listed it again earlier this week as being available for shipment at about the same price as CD Universe beginning March 28, so I ordered a copy from Amazon too. I just checked Amazon's website and the set's no longer listed as available (other than from a third party for almost twice the original price).

Then, earlier this week, I received an email from CD Universe that the set had been located and shipped to me. Yesterday, I received the CD set. However, another problem came up. Disc 5 of the set was missing. In doing my research to try and locate a set I had learned that this was not an uncommon problem and that Rhino was dealing with it directly. So I emailed Rhino and explained the problem. I quickly received an email from Rhino indicating that they would send me the missing CD.

So, now I have one uncomplete set courtesy of CD Universe (with the missing CD hopefully on its way from Rhino) and maybe I'll even get a second set courtesy of Amazon (I'll found out this week if this one really comes through). I figure given how much demand there is for this set, I'll hold onto the second set as an "investment" if I receive it.

Long story short--try CD Universe's website. They actually tracked one down for me when no one else on the web indicated they could find it. Good luck.

Guest Chaney

I just has a look around but could only see the set listed as special order and backorder.

Maybe you could send an e-mail to the folks at jimmywebb.com asking if there's a spare copy for sale. The odds are long but it can't hurt to ask.

What jbb suggests may also work. (Welcome to the board, jbb!)

Edited by Chaney

thanks for the link, but it is sold out at rhino handmade.

What on earth?!... I just got an e-mail about its release from RH three months ago! That's crazy... release date is listed in AMG as Dec. 7, 2004, and they're already sold out? I knew a Jimmy Webb revival was underway, but didn't realize a 5-CD set would move so fast... shows I travel too much these days in the rarified world of jazz re-issues. :blink:

Edited by ghost of miles

What on earth?!... I just got an e-mail about its release from RH three months ago! That's crazy... release date is listed in AMG as Dec. 7, 2004, and they're already sold out? I knew a Jimmy Webb revival was underway, but didn't realize a 5-CD set would move so fast...

Same here. I had planned to pick this up at leisure, someday, sometime. Who knew?

Well, obviously the folks at Rhino, but other than that...

<note to self: don't bother asking Jim or David for a burn of this set...>

Wow, I too am really surprised to learn this sold out as fast as the live Television set Rhino put out. Especially as reviews of the set are just now starting to show up in print and online.

actually, i read entertainment weekly.

their move and popular music reviews can be good.

No slight intended, I just always looked at it and thought, "eh, more dross, who needs it".

Not necessarily the case, then, eh?

Not at all. I actually find them one of the better "mass media" mags for their reviews and often sardonic take on media matters. Besides, they don't diss comic books and actually toss in a jazz review now and again (and I don't mean Kenny G!). ;)

I read the original post with dismay after having an order for this on back order at Amazon UK for about 2 months..and then wonder of wonders they just sent me a note saying they had shipped it to me...so not sure what this means... Their current lead time is quoted at 4-5 days....Last time I checked Rhino was still quoting OOP.

Do "we" know anybody who reads "entertainment weekly"?

And if "we" do, are they the type of people who ordinarily buy stuff like this?

Ah, good ol' EW... God help us if they ever start reviewing Mosaics! :ph34r:

When I worked at Borders, a number of the employees--generally fairly literate types--perused EW during their lunch-breaks. It's always struck me (and I have looked at it a few times) as a PEOPLE-type production.

• 4 weeks later...

for some reason the rhino handmade site has the aretha franklin set listed as temporarily unavailable.

i wonder what that means.

the cd universe link is interesting.

i was told the jimmy webb might go back to print due to the good press and the quick sell out (much of the good press coming after it was sold out).

Does anyone here have the set?  If so, what do you think of it?

I have the set, but I've only listened to it once. It includes Webb's excellent Atlantic album El Mirage, but I had mixed feelings about the rest. I guess I should listen to it again, but first the Motown Singles set - I still have to play discs 5 and 6 of that one.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone's still looking for the Webb Rhino box at a reasonable price, but CDQuest (through GEMM) is offering it at about the release price ($80). I just got a shipment notification. CD Universe no longer has this listed.

I don't know if anyone's still looking for the Webb Rhino box at a reasonable price, but CDQuest (through GEMM) is offering it at about the release price ($80). I just got a shipment notification. CD Universe no longer has this listed.

Found this out courtesy of someone over at the Hoffman board.