Miles Davis At The Blackhawk

Jazz Kat

Driving home in the car a few minutes ago I turned on the radio. It was a trumpet quintet, had no idea who it was. When it was over the man said it was Miles. It didn't sound like Miles when I first heard it. It was "No Blues," recorded at the Blackhawk. JImmy Cobb, Wynton Kelly, Hank Mobley, Mr P.C. This was the first time I heard Jimmy Cobb take a drum solo. I was surprised to learn it was Jimmy. That's all.

'Miles Davis - In Person Friday and Saturday Nights At the Blackhawk, Complete' - was one of the best releases last year.

I have just put it on when I came across your post.

Che.

yeah now its starting to ring a bell. I remember seeing that album in that little card that comes with all those Columbia reuissues.

The complete version has four CD's and was a great success when it was released. The whole concert really swings for me, thanks to the playing of Hank Mobley. There is also a two CD set, in any case if you can get a copy of this concert you will not be dissapointed.

Che.

Driving home in the car a few minutes ago I turned on the radio. It was a trumpet quintet, had no idea who it was. When it was over the man said it was Miles. It didn't sound like Miles when I first heard it. It was "No Blues," recorded at the Blackhawk. JImmy Cobb, Wynton Kelly, Hank Mobley, Mr P.C. This was the first time I heard Jimmy Cobb take a drum solo. I was surprised to learn it was Jimmy. That's all.

This is something, here in the UK, you would be hard pushed to find on any radio station!

Che.

Yeah, but I don't got the best stations here either. The radio station broadcasts in New jersey,(wbgo) I'm here in New York. It rarely comes in good, and even then there's still static.

But at least you have some stations.

We have very few in the UK and the thought of hearing Miles on the radio, well I can only dream of that.

There are some programmes on one public radio station, but it is mixed with opera and classical music etc.

Che.

MILES DAVIS IN PERSON FRIDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHTS AT THE BLACKHAWK, COMPLETE (LEGACY/COLUMBIA) NNNN

By all accounts, San Francisco's Blackhawk nightclub was a complete dive, but it had exceptionally good acoustics and an owner who didn't mess with the hired talent, which made it a reasonable recording site for Cal Tjader, Gerry Mulligan and, of course, Miles Davis, who cut this legendary recording in 61. At the time, Davis was backed by his famous Quintet (Hank Mobley, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb). As this four-disc set covering each standard-heavy set of a two-night stand demonstrates, this Davis band was really built for crowd-pleasing. The performances range from hard-swinging to beautifully tender, yet even in the quiet moments they're never less than intense. Fabulous.

Disc 1:

1. Oleo 5. Fran Dance

2. No Blues 6. On Green Dolphin Street

3. Bye Bye (Theme) 7. The Theme

4. If I Were A Bell

Disc 2:

1. All Of You 4. Bye Bye Blackbird

2. Neo 5. Walkin'

3. I Thought About You 6. Love, I Found You

Disc 3:

1. If I were A Bell 5. Walkin'

2. So What 6. 'Round Midnight

3. No BLues 7. Well You Needn't

4. On Green Dolphin Street 8. The Theme

Disc 4:

1. Autumn Leaves 5. Love, I've Found You

2. Neo 6. I Thought About You

3. Two Bass Hit 7. Someday My Prince Will Come

4. Bye Bye (Theme) 8. Softly As In A Morning Sunrise

Hope this helps Jazzkat?

Che.

Yeah, but I don't got the best stations here either. The radio station broadcasts in New jersey,(wbgo) I'm here in New York. It rarely comes in good, and even then there's still static.

Jazzkat,

When you check out WBGO on the web(wbgo.org, I think), also give a listen to WKCR. They don't always have jazz on, but they do have some great jazz programs. If you search around here, there's at least two threads about WKCR in the lat month.

I find the cymbal sound on the cd very anoying, to say the least. I can't listen to it at all. They really ruined the sound for me. High treble! I'm glad I have the vinyl.

I didnt notice it on the radio. The two worst albums for cymbol overdose are Coltrane, and The Waiting Game.

I find the cymbal sound on the cd very anoying, to say the least. I can't listen to it at all. They really ruined the sound for me. High treble! I'm glad I have the vinyl.

I didnt notice it on the radio. The two worst albums for cymbol overdose are Coltrane, and The Waiting Game.

If Elvin's the one giving the cymbal overdose, I'll take it. :)

Guy

Jazzkat,

When you check out WBGO on the web(wbgo.org, I think), also give a listen to WKCR. They don't always have jazz on, but they do have some great jazz programs. If you search around here, there's at least two threads about WKCR in the lat month.

KCSM is also available online, and it's a great station. One of the things I look forward to every time I visit the Bay Area.

I have my radio dial currently tuned to some station in the lower 90s where they play lots of offbeat stuff -- techno, Latin, whatever. I don't really know the station name because I almost always play CDs in there. But a few months ago I stepped into the car and heard the DJ say, "...and that was John Coltrane with 'Sun Ship'. " :excited:

Guy