Miles Cellar Door Update

BFS

Mine is coming via UPS.

UPS is much more reliable in this area than the USPS.

For example I am waiting for a package shipped 1st Class via USPS on 12 / 14 from Dusty Groove.

It's still not here.

Dusty Groove says wait until the end of next week.

If it's still not here they'll replace it.

In addition Media Mail is the worst method of all time.

It sometimes takes 3 weeks for books, CDs, etc. to arrive if that is what the shipper uses.

Edited by jlhoots

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have liked if Herbie would have conked Keith on the head before the gig and hijacked the electric piano. :cool:

:huh:

If you're a Jarrett fan, I'm sure you'll love the set. If you're not (count me in), you might find yourself wishing someone else, like Herbie Hancock, would be at the keys. To hear a Miles electric band this stripped down is exciting, but Jarret isn't a fav of mine and I just find what he's doing too much against the grain. Anti-groove. Anti-band. I dig some of where he's going at points. But he hates what the bass player is doing and you can tell. He's fighting where the rest of the band is going. Some might like the tension that makes, perhaps Miles was one. Just my feeling when I listen. I'm sure all others will disagree. ;)

Edited by Soul Stream

I would have liked if Herbie would have conked Keith on the head before the gig and hijacked the electric piano. :cool:

If you're a Jarrett fan, I'm sure you'll love the set. If you're not (count me in), you might find yourself wishing someone else, like Herbie Hancock, would be at the keys. To hear a Miles electric band this stripped down is exciting, but Jarret isn't a fav of mine and I just find what he's doing too much against the grain. Anti-groove. Anti-band. I dig some of where he's going at points. But he hates what the bass player is doing and you can tell. He's fighting where the rest of the band is going. Some might like the tension that makes, perhaps Miles was one. Just my feeling when I listen. I'm sure all others will disagree. ;)

well, you are aware that Miles told Henderson to ignore what Jarrett was doing, right? He wanted them to play against each other. It's not like Jarrett was "fighting" the rest of the band. That's what Miles wanted, without telling him. It's all in the booklet

well, you are aware that Miles told Henderson to ignore what Jarrett was doing, right? He wanted them to play against each other. It's not like Jarrett was "fighting" the rest of the band. That's what Miles wanted, without telling him. It's all in the booklet

I don't have the booklet, just downloaded it through itunes...so I don't know what they've said in the booklet. Anyway, the idea that Miles wanted the tension isn't surprising. That this is EXACTLY what Miles wanted wouldn't surprise me. However, it's not my bag...not at this moment in time...perhaps in a year this will be the end all and be all for me. It's happened before. But, I'm not counting on it.

well I just got through the entire set for the 1st time... I'm not a huge electric Miles fan, had none of this material and decided that the $38 CDU "mistake" price was too good to pass up...

After giving it a spin... I would have to say IMHO.... mediocre... Could have gotten along with 2 or 3 CD's... I didn't like Jarrett's playing... Gary Bartz was the best part... but again I had low expectations...

I wouldn't have bought it for full price... and at the $38 price.. it was okay... (no more, no less)... Okay it goes onto the shelf... For now...

Maybe in a year or three when I give it another spin... I'll dig it more...

-_- <_<:mellow:

Our mailmen aren't racist, they're just useless.

Sorry to harp on this, but mail service around here is terrible.

UPS says my Miles set will be here on the 27th.

It'll be here on the 27th.

On the other hand, when my "First Class" order from DG shipped on Dec. 14 will arrive remains to be seen.

Edited by jlhoots

I just got through disc 1. Well worth the wait that some have been experiencing with the various mail services. Disc 1 alone in my estimation is better than Live Evil -- and I am very fond of Live Evil. Miles never ceases to amaze and fascinate me. Luckily, I got it for the CDU pre-order price when I ordered it in August. However, if I hadn't, I definitely would have asked Santa to put a copy under my Christmas tree. Although I am happy that this finally came out -- it is regrettable that the delays might have cost it some exposure and some sales during the Christmas/Hannukah/End of Year shopping rush.

First off, a massive :tup to CD universe for honoring the pre-order price. They could very well have cancelled all orders(plenty of time had passed) and gone full price on everyone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've listened to the whole set once and a few discs have had a second spin at Chez PHILLYQ. I'm astounded at how this music works with Jarrett & Henderson playing at seeming cross purposes. The genius of Miles strikes again in pairing them in this band. Gary Bartz is also in fine form on this set, playing some pretty long solos that at times make me wanna scream Hallelujah! or something of that sort. I'm going to make up a 'What I Say' disc so that I can follow how that tune mutated over the course of the gig.

'Inamorata' is much better without the narration.

First off, a massive :tup to CD universe for honoring the pre-order price. They could very well have cancelled all orders(plenty of time had passed) and gone full price on everyone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got mine today. A second "massive :tup " from me, too.

I actually like the narration. I didn't at first, but for what it is, it's kinda cool.

Mine arrived today as well. I like the boolket more than I thought I would.

I love this music. I love the Jarrett performances here. The Bartz. The Henderson bass and DeJohnettes hihats and that fat-sounding bass drum. These tracks just really unlock some inner spring and unravels it.

I definitely don't think this would be the same, and not better, with Hancock at the keys! Jarrett is just really breathing fire into the band.

Edited by jazzbo

I got mine today. A second "massive :tup " from me, too.

I actually like the narration. I didn't at first, but for what it is, it's kinda cool.

I like the narration as well, but when I'm interested in listening to the flow of music in progress, it's better not to have it there.

I wonder if we'll ever discover the source of the last few minutes of Live Evil.

Guy

I love this music. I love the Jarrett performances here. The Bartz. The Henderson bass and DeJohnettes hihats and that fat-sounding bass drum. These tracks just really unlock some inner spring and unravels it.

Mine arrived today after a short vacation in Hodgkins, Illinois. :party:

Have to echo what Lon said. I'm only one disc in so far, but man--this is some really really killer stuff. I think I can honestly say that, other than cranking "On the Corner" or something, I've never really quite heard anything like this. I don't know why, but Live Evil never moved me; not sure whether it was the splicing (although after hearing this "raw" I wonder if that would make me crazy (or if I'd even hear it, really)) or muddy sound, or what, but that one sat in the shelves. This will not sit in the shelves! Such a tight damn groove! Exuberance!

Could I listen to all six discs at one sitting? Initially, I thought "no way"...but no "beat" fatigue so far!

And again, a hearty :tup to CDU for honoring the pre-sale price.

I'm thrilled to have this in my collection!

Received mine today from CDU. :tup One of the bright spots of a sucky week so far spent in bed with the flu. Wasn't quite sure what to expect (though I've heard some of this stuff before on boots) as electric Miles isn't quite my cuppa, but I really dig this band. Count me among the bigtime Jarrett fans; his work here is quite different, but very interesting.

Got mine yesterday from Integrity 'N Music in Wethersfield, CT. In speaking with Integrity Ed about the set, he had spoke to John Szwed, author of So What, and heard that a son of Miles has complete control over all future releases. I mentioned Vincent Walburn's name & Ed said it was the son & Vincent who held up this set and the fact that Adam Holtzman wrote some notes for this set. Holtzman's notes are in there so I don't know how that was settled or how this will affect, if at all, the proposed future set of mid-70's material.

Edited by dave9199

Got mine yesterday from Integrity 'N Music in Wethersfield, CT. In speaking with Integrity Ed about the set, he had spoke to John Szwed, author of So What, and heard that a son of Miles has complete control over all future releases. I mentioned Vincent Walburn's name & Ed said it was the son & Vincent who held up this set and the fact that Adam Holtzman wrote some notes for this set. Holtzman's notes are in there so I don't know how that was settled or how this will affect, if at all, the proposed future set of mid-70's material.

So called "son of Miles" and I have a close mutual friend. We've met a handful of times - his house is a trip in that it's full of some pretty amazing memorabilia. When I get a chance, I'll inquire about the release delay.

more first impressions:

I agree with Lon that the booklet is better than I thought.

The sound quality on the discs is really excellent- I don't think I have heard a better recorded live performance.

I sort of regret that McLaughlin is only on the last 2 discs, although for some reason I think he sounds better on the Jack Johnson sessions.

I have gotten through it all now, and really love Jarrett and Miles on these recordings - those two are the standouts for me. Interesting that Jarrett is the musician that gets the spotlight for a solo improvisation piece on most sets.

My only concern is whether I needed 6 hours + of this, although I can't say that as of now, I could choose any particular sets that are superior to others and I would not have liked to be the one to whittle it down, just wonder how much of it I will return to?

Mine arrived today as well. I like the boolket more than I thought I would.

I definitely don't think this would be the same, and not better, with Hancock at the keys! Jarrett is just really breathing fire into the band.

Lon, how could you have had such a steadfast opinion on the music earlier before you had even recieved it? :ph34r: