Miles Cellar Door Update

BFS

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still no release date determined over at cdUniverse. However they have determined that it will cost you the better part of $80.

Previous Order Status

Order Status: Processing

We are working on getting all of the items on your order ready to ship.

Ordered Items

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Config Ord Ship Artist / Title Price Detail Status

CD 1 0 Davis, Miles The Cellar Door Sessions 1970 $38.49 Pre-Order Now! Release Date Not Determined

I'm hoping this ancient pre-order price holds up. It seems like it will, and I sure appreciate CDUniverse for sticking by it.

Mine still says the same too :)

This just in....

NEW YORK (Billboard) - After several delays, the six-CD boxed set "Miles Davis -- The Cellar Door Sessions 1970" will finally see the light of day.

Recorded live at the height of Davis' full-flame electric funk period, post-"Bitches Brew," the Columbia/Legacy discs will hit stores on December 27.

The set features an all-star lineup including Keith Jarrett on Rhodes and electric keyboards, guitarist John McLaughlin, saxophonist Gary Bartz, electric bassist Michael Henderson, drummer Jack DeJohnette and percussionist Airto Moreira.

"When you think of who was in the band and how they were playing and reacting to Miles' extremely discreet and very ambiguous directions, it's just amazing," McLaughlin told Billboard earlier this year. "Keith was playing like a man possessed on two keyboards, and we all had wah-wah pedals."

Bob Belden, who produced the previously unreleased compilation with Adam Holzman, says, "These guys had the idea of how rock and jazz worked together, and they got more of a focused sound out of their instruments than the rock guys. Miles was capturing Cream and Hendrix and extending it into improvisation in a powerful live setting. After this came fusion, most of which sounds childish in comparison."

In related news, at Mo Pitkin's House of Satisfaction in New York, Davis aficionado Greg Masters hosts Miles Monday, a free, three-hour weekly listening session featuring his extensive collection of Davis' standard and bootleg recordings. "This is a chance for people to hear Miles' music, especially the electric stuff, that never gets played on the radio," Masters says.

Reuters/Billboard

Is this real?

That article was posted on December 2, it mentions December 27 as the release date, but the title of the article is Davis' 'Cellar Door' Finally Due Next Month. Does that imply another (minor) delay? :wacko:

http://billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_di...t_id=1001613693

The Downtown Music Gallery weekly email had this on it yesterday-

ADVANCE PRE-ORDER PRICE FOR THIS SPECTACULAR ITEM [ships 12/20]

DELAYED FOR THREE MONTHS - NOW PROMISED TO BE IN STOCK RIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS!!!

MILES DAVIS - Vol 8: The Cellar Door [Live-Evil] Sessions 1970 [6 CD Box Set] (Columbia Legacy 93614) "This group could not only stand the fire; they could walk over hot fucking coals!... In other words, angels, this is THE SHIT! If I hear better music than this in 2005 - hell, in the next ten years - I won't even believe it!" - Jason Vivens, Signal To Noise

Everything in the vaults that Columbia recorded at the live Cellar Door shows - unedited!!! Liner notes in the book consist of essays by each of the players - Keith Jarrett, Gary Bartz, Jack DeJohnette, Airto Moreira, Michael Henderson, and John McLaughlin added on the final night! Until now, the Bartz-Jarrett-Henderson-DeJohnette-Moreira band on its own had never been heard on official releases, aside from some cuts on the Live-Evil album.

DECEMBER 16, 1970 - 1st set & "Inamorata" from 2nd set (Disc 1) [For unknown reasons, Airto Moreira is not really audible on the material recorded on December 16th.]

DECEMBER 17, 1970 - 2nd set (Disc 2)

DECEMBER 18, 1970 - 2nd set (Disc 3) & 3rd set (Disc 4)

DECEMBER 19, 1970 - 2nd set (Disc 5) & 3rd set (Disc 6): John McLaughlin (g) is added to the ensemble for BOTH SETS this night [some of these recordings found their way onto the Live-Evil double album in a severely edited form]

6 CD set for $ 95.00 PREORDER price until 12/19 [after it will be $105]

(PREVIOUS PRE-ORDERS FROM SEPTEMBER WERE TOSSED - IF YOU ASKED PREVIOUSLY FOR THIS YOU MUST E-MAIL US AGAIN)

Damn right!!

I did say it was my favorite record store. They obviously manage to work some deals with US exporters.

When the Thelonious Monk-Coltrane BN was released, they had a load of copy-controlled EU-made copies.

I told the people in charge of the jazz section that I would wait for a non-copy controlled release.

Later on the same day, I got a phone call from the store to announce that they managed to get three clean copies from the US. I told them to hold one copy for me.

Rushed there and can now enjoy a non-controlled copy of the Monk/Trane!