Lawmaker Seeks to End Sexy Cheerleading

Well, it looks like the ban passed:

The state's House of Representatives voted 85-55 to approve a bill that would forbid sexy cheers and give the Texas Education Agency authority to punish schools that allow "overtly sexually suggestive" routines at football games and other events.

The proposal must go to the Texas Senate for consideration.

"People are calling and telling me how disgusting it is to see sexually suggestive routines on the part of marching units or cheerleaders," said state representative Al Edwards, who sponsored the bill.

He complained of cheerleaders "shaking their behinds, breaking it down," but the proposal does not define what constitutes suggestive cheering.

Thumbs up Jsngry-- my daughter is about to turn 14 and even as a soccer player some of her teammates want to get those relatively tight shorts with writing on the ass. I mean-- there is no other reason to put writing on the ass unless you are trying to get someone to look there, and if I catch someone eyeing my daughter I'm liable to give them a fistful of pain and suffering. She may look 16 or 18 but she's my daughter and mentally she's very much 14.

Those "bring it on" style movies-- when they feature high schoolers-- are a great example of something that I agree is wrong. College/adults/pros-- that's a different story... but these are KIDS even if they don't look like it!

Well, it looks like the ban passed:

The state's House of Representatives voted 85-55 to approve a bill that would forbid sexy cheers and give the Texas Education Agency authority to punish schools that allow "overtly sexually suggestive" routines at football games and other events.

The proposal must go to the Texas Senate for consideration.

"People are calling and telling me how disgusting it is to see sexually suggestive routines on the part of marching units or cheerleaders," said state representative Al Edwards, who sponsored the bill.

He complained of cheerleaders "shaking their behinds, breaking it down," but the proposal does not define what constitutes suggestive cheering.

Aren't there any parents/cheerleader directors with a good moral compass left down there in the Lone Star? One would think the lawmakers have something more important to spend their time on without this worthless issue bubbling up from below. It doesn't take a new law to have someone go up to the cheerleading squad leader and ask that the sexual innuendos be toned down since children are involved.

Too much lawmaking, not enough common sense. :tdown