Lawmaker Seeks to End Sexy Cheerleading

Lawmaker Seeks to End Sexy Cheerleading

Email this Story

Mar 18, 7:42 AM (ET)

By APRIL CASTRO

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - The Friday night lights in Texas could soon be without bumpin' and grindin' cheerleaders. Legislation filed by Rep. Al Edwards would put an end to "sexually suggestive" performances at athletic events and other extracurricular competitions.

"It's just too sexually oriented, you know, the way they're shaking their behinds and going on, breaking it down," said Edwards, a 26-year veteran of the Texas House. "And then we say to them, 'don't get involved in sex unless it's marriage or love, it's dangerous out there' and yet the teachers and directors are helping them go through those kind of gyrations."

Under Edwards' bill, if a school district knowingly permits such a performance, funds from the state would be reduced in an amount to be determined by the education commissioner.

Edwards said he filed the bill as a result of several instances of seeing such ribald performances in his district.

J.M. Farias, owner of Austin Cheer Factory, said cheerleading aficionados would welcome the law. Cheering competitions, he said, penalize for suggestive movements or any vulgarity.

"Any coaches that are good won't put that in their routines," he said. And, most girls cheering on Friday nights were trained by professionals who know better, he said.

"I don't think this law would really shake the industry at all. In fact, it would give parents a better feeling, mostly dads and boyfriends, too," Farias said.

Although cheerleaders must meet the same no-pass, no-play academic requirements of athletes, cheerleading is not a competition sanctioned by the University Interscholastic League, the governing body of Texas high school sports.

The UIL also does not have performance regulations for squads who cheer for their teams at state championships, said Athletic Coordinator Peter Contreras.

"I think it should have been cut out a long time ago," Edwards said. "It surely needs to be toned down."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050318/D88TCPGO0.html

OTOH, the use of high school girls as sex objects to stimulate athletes has never been too cool with me, especially now that I've got a daughter who is that age.

Latest trend? Cheerleaders, drill squads, etc. wearing really tight and skimpy shorts with the girl's name spread out over her ass. We're talking high school girls here, not pros. So, I can not only notice a 16 year old girls tight round ass, I can now know her/its name. Lovely...

This Edwards guy is probably a wingnut, but when you see high school chicks doing bits not too far removed from a lap dance (and I have seen such routines, and in both contexts), something's not right. Are we raising women or training hos?

Granted, I dig a woman who can get as nasty as we wanna get, but once that ho mentality sets in w/a teenager, the other side, the intellegenge and TCB mode, usually goes away, possibly for good. That's a bad thing.

OTOH, the use of high school girls as sex objects to stimulate athletes has never been too cool with me, especially now that I've got a daughter who is that age.

Latest trend? Cheerleaders, drill squads, etc. wearing really tight and skimpy shorts with the girl's name spread out over her ass. We're talking high school girls here, not pros. So, I can not only notice a 16 year old girls tight round ass, I can now know her/its name. Lovely...

... my oldest daughter is just 12 and on a local swim team, and even girls in her age group are starting to where those kinds of shorts with "SWIMMER" on them ... this country definitely has a split personality when it comes to sexualizing young girls.

Li

This Edwards guy is probably a wingnut, but when you see high school chicks doing bits not too far removed from a lap dance (and I have seen such routines, and in both contexts), something's not right. Are we raising women or training hos?

Granted, I dig a woman who can get as nasty as we wanna get, but once that ho mentality sets in w/a teenager, the other side, the intellegenge and TCB mode, usually goes away, possibly for good. That's a bad thing.

Yeah, really.

Boy, why is this mindlessness always in Texas. I looked at the thread and thought..."yeah, must be a texas lawmaker." Sure enough.

Guess they're not busy enough here in the texas legislature raising taxes (just sales and sins, property taxes are now cut by a third) and generally screwing everyone but the rich. :angry:

I mean, ya'll just 8 years o' Bush and his like. We've had ol' George and his frat buddies for a loooonnnnngggg time down here.

Pretty soon they'll outlaw sex for everyone but the rich too.

Boy, why is this mindlessness always in Texas. I looked at the thread and thought..."yeah, must be a texas lawmaker." Sure enough.

Guess they're not busy enough here in the texas legislature raising taxes (just sales and sins, property taxes are now cut by a third) and generally screwing everyone but the rich. :angry:

I mean, ya'll just 8 years o' Bush and his like. We've had ol' George and his frat buddies for a loooonnnnngggg time down here.

Pretty soon they'll outlaw sex for everyone but the rich too.

I have to vote with Jsngry here. It's always seemed bizarre to me that you say "sexy" and the picture of a 16-year-old girl pops into the collective consciousness.

I had no idea this had become common. I thought the "in" thing was putting the name of your school on seat of the shorts. Personalizing the fantasy is a bit much, when the American way is to advertise a thing not a person.

Would it be too much to ask that someone post some pics so we all know what everyone is talking about?

I tried Googling "sexy cheerleaders," but the results are rather shocking. I don't think some of those women are really students! :o:excited::lol:

Yeah, I can laugh now. But my girls are only (nearly) four. I'm gonna be a completely miserable dad in less than a decade...

Is it too late to raise them in a Skinner box?

Go for the box or bubble, I say. I've got two boys and that's what I'm contemplating.

Actually, I am contemplating moving them to another culture. Now, I'm sure that other culture will screw them up in different ways but at least I won't see it coming.

Could I order a pair of those, a bit looser, that read "Bite My"?

But seriously, I get where y'all are coming from; the thing that's always made me extremely uncomfortable are these beauty contests for little girls, with their make up, halter tops, etc. I mean, at least here we're waiting until after puberty...

It would be nice if kids were allowed to be kids, at least for a while.