Cleaning Up 78s

Dan Gould

OK, sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, again... :ph34r:

Any thought to sending it directly from the seller to the person who will be doing the transfer?? Would save a shipment of the darn thing, and some expense (though not a lot of expense).

(Definitely advice that wasn't solicited. I'll STFU now. :ph34r::g )

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Any thought to sending it directly from the seller to the person who will be doing the transfer?? Would save a shipment of the darn thing, and some expense (though not a lot of expense).

I did think about it, but I'm going to let it come to me first. I've bothered the seller enough about this. And I do think that I'll work on the cleaning myself, either with my wife's suggestion or with the local record dealer, so I'm hopeful that at minimum I can get a transfer done with my own set-up, and then decide whether to pass it on for possible re-mastering, depending on the results.

Thanks for the links, Ray.

I particularly like these directions. They're simple, and seem a lot better than my wife's warm water and soft cloth suggestion:

If you are worried about leaving oily residues in the grooves, you'll be safe with this method.

Half fill a sink with tepid water

Have ready a new 1" paint brush

Hold the 78 in one hand, thumb on top

Take your kitchen dishwashing liquid detergent (Fairy, Dawn whatever)

Squirt a circle around the record grooves (avoid the label)

Dip the paint brush in the water, then 'paint' round and around in the direction of the grooves with the detergent, work up a lather. This should clean up the grooves.

Run cool water from the tap over the grooves and use the paint brush to rinse the lather off. Try to avoid the label unless it is dirty. Don't use hot water.

Repeat on the other side

Dab with a soft tissue to get drops of water off

The 78 should be leaned up against a wall or in a rack to dry before putting back in a sleeve (check the sleeve is clean inside).