AOTW - March 20th

garthsj

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The person who chooses the AOTW also chooses the next person to pick. If you're interested, make it known here, or perhaps PM the current person (although they might have someone in mind already).

Should be no problem in gaining a turn.

I think it would be very exciting to be able to pick an album of the week.

Actually my understanding is that the AOTW lineup was now simply a queue, like the BFT.  It's a better system I think because it gives people more time to prepare & a more orderly succession of AOTW threads.

Oops! I stand corrected. Thanks Nate!

EDIT: Jazz Kat, go HERE to sign up.

Edited by Free For All

Not a lot to add here, it's a beautiful album. I've spun it several times in the past two weeks and there's always something new little detail to to hear. Love the voicings on Moon Dreams. Liked John Lewis too!

I'll be starting on the live recordings later.

I just received the book of BOTC scores that Mike Fitzgerald recommended. They look great- all in concert key, so analysis doesn't require transposition (which is desirable for some).

I'd also recommend this book for anyone who wants to further delve into this great music. $16.50 or so at Amazon.

Thanks for that tip Mike F. and Free-For-All. While I am very much an amateur musician, I love this music so much that it will be fun to follow the scores along with the music itself ... I am not sure that I could play the Konitz parts though ...

:w

Thanks to all who contributed to the discussion ... but we never got Chuck to elucidate on the "black vs. white" issue. I would still like to hear more about the implications of this on the historical reception of the music itself, and its influences on the development of the jazz that came afterwards.