Worst film ever...

Yep, you guessed it....Showgirls. From the same man who brought us Shazza Stone flashing the gash, we now get 'some-other-blond-actress' in contrived sexual drama.

That swimming pool scene. Who choreographed that? Flipper?

I'm a bit lazy and the remote is out of reach. This is what happens when you keep tuned in after Desperate Housewives.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony, here in the US the movie with the reputation as being the worst ever is Bela Lugosi's last flick, Plan 9 From Outer Space.

I've never seen it, but I did see one when I was a kid called The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake. Boy, was that bad!

And in the 70s I made the mistake of seeing The Fugs' "comedy", whatever that was called. I should have asked for my money back for that one!

And speaking of bad movies, don't forget Frank Zappa's 200 Motels. Made no sense whatever!

Tony, here in the US the movie with the reputation as being the worst ever is Bela Lugosi's last flick, Plan 9 From Outer Space.

I've never seen it, but I did see one when I was a kid called The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake. Boy, was that bad!

And in the 70s I made the mistake of seeing The Fugs' "comedy", whatever that was called. I should have asked for my money back for that one!

And speaking of bad movies, don't forget Frank Zappa's 200 Motels. Made no sense whatever!

To compare any of Ed Wood's film to this turkey is an insult of the highest order. What, are you going to start on Russ Meyer next? :P

Plan 9 had paper plates as flying saucers! One of the 'actors', I believe a large wrestler, died during filming and was replaced by a guy about half his size. The replacement did keep his cape up to give the 'illusion' that he was much bigger. GA Russell, get ahold of it and watch it with some friends for a laugh- it's bigtime hoot. :tup

I think "Head" is a really entertaining surrealistic anti-war romp, with some excellent wordplay, and not at all bad. But I imagine it appeals in the same way that Soderburgh's "Schizopolis" does. Not to the taste of most, and probably too insular for its own good, but with enough cleverness to get by. But Head adds being nicely subversive - imagine constructed pop stars (say the winners of American Idol from the past 3 years) suddenly hiring Jack Nicholson & Bob Rafaelson to do a bizarre skit comedy type film strongly opposing the war in Iraq.

Elizabeth Berkley (spelling?) the girl in Showgirls, did reasonably well in Rodger Dodger.

Never seen "200 Motels"

What is the Alex Cox film of a similar vein? "Straight to Hell" Never seen that either. The Pogues, Elvis Costello, Dennis Hopper, right?

But since when do films need to make sense to be good films? Since when do the effects all need to be top-notch for a film to be good? Look how Lucas slowly ruins "Star Wars" with each improvement of the effects. They are good if they enter your dreams (day or sleeping). But that's a whole other discussion.

Edited by Adam

Let's not forget Head, by the Monkees.  Certainly must be in the running as ONE of the worst films of all time!

It's unfortunate that you guys decide a movie is terrible simply because you don't think it makes sense. You're really limiting yourselves to nothing but run-of-the-mill linear narrative cinema at that point.

Personally, I love the Monkees' Head. I think it's a great film and like the tunes as well.

200 Motels is comparable, I suppose. I have a hard time with Zappa's particular sense of humor, though. Too *wacky* for me. But I'd hardly say is stinks just because it "made no sense whatever".

Edited by Brandon Burke

Plan 9 had paper plates as flying saucers! One of the 'actors', I believe a large wrestler, died during filming and was replaced by a guy about half his size. The replacement did keep his cape up to give the 'illusion' that he was much bigger. GA Russell, get ahold of it and watch it with some friends for a laugh- it's bigtime hoot. :tup

It wasn't the wrestler (Tor Johnson) who died during filming, it was Bela himself! Wood had barely filmed any footage of Bela (it really amounted to home-movie footage of Bela watering his flowers) before the former "Dracula" star died. Wood cast his wife's doctor in the Bela role (he was at least a head taller than Bela and more than half Bela's age) and he did, indeed, keep his cape over his face.

I love Showgirls!

It's absolutely ridiculous- just like the whole idea of over-ambitious showgirls. The movie is much more of an accurate artistic portrayal of Vegas than Ocean's 11 (either version). It's silly because Vegas is silly.

I think this is the same guy that did Robocop and Starship Troopers. A lot of people miss the satire element of these films.

SYNOPSIS

Devereaux, an eccentric creator of an amusement park's life-like cybernetic creatures, tries to clone the rock group KISS to aid him in his evil plot. The glamsters themselves must save the day.

I guess this one did see theatrical release. Amazing!