I just bought a rolltop desk...

Does anyone know about this? AMERICAN GIRL dolls.

Nice little overpriced dolls that come from periods in American History (we have Kit (1930s) and Molly (1940s) They come with a set of books that are actually pretty good at teaching about different eras in our country's history.

They also have furniture, clothes, pets, etc from the stories. My 5 yr old talks about Kit and her family like they are real people. My wife ordered Kit's rolltop desk and swivel chair as well as her typewritter. (All with amazing detail) But what does a doll need a $70 rolltop desk for!

PARENTS BEWARE: IF AN AMERICAN GIRL SPAM APPEARS IN YOUR EMAIL OR A CATALOG APPEARS IN YOUR MAILBOX, DESTROY IT IMMEDIATELY. NO GOOD CAN COME FROM KEEPING IT!!

(At first my wife said the girls just like to look at it. She and I had a few good laughs about the furniture and outrageous prices. Next thing I know there's a rolltop desk at my front door!)

Edited by scottb

Worse than that, we've got 3 daughters, two of them have dolls already. Of course the dolls have friends. You can also order a custom doll that looks like you and can get matcing outfits for you and your doll. It's scary!

Edited by scottb

If you're ever in NYC, take your daughters to "American Girl Place." It takes up several floors of some of the priciest real estate in the world (on 5th Ave.). You can learn more about it here. There's also one in Chicago. It's worth visiting from an adult's perspective just to marvel at what has to be one of the seven wonders of the marketing world. :wacko: Maybe you can make a deal with your daughters and spend a few hours there in exchange for a few hours at the Village Vanguard. :excited:

Edited by Ron S

We've got a Kit & Samantha living here. Wife & I made the mistake of entering the American Girl shop up on 5th Ave. last fall and wound up getting 3 or 4 outfits for each doll w/matching hats, mittens, etc. (that's alotttta cds cry2.gif .). It's an amazing shop, an entire section devoted to each doll and an eye-popping number of detailed outfits....the little flip-flops w/the bathrobe are a riot. Turns out my neighbor down the street is a consultant for the company and she does things like authenticate the various period undergarments. I then managed to dodge the 'let's buy a wardrobe for the clothes!!' bullet by working a little magic with some wood dowels & a few French wine crates from the basement. Voila!! My advice to you is to break out the hand tools and start building some 'stuff' or you'll go broke acquiring all the roll top desks, beds & wardrobe sets in triplicate :g

We've got a Kit & Samantha living here. Wife & I made the mistake of entering the American Girl shop up on 5th Ave. last fall and wound up getting 3 or 4 outfits for each doll w/matching hats, mittens, etc. (that's alotttta cds cry2.gif .). It's an amazing shop, an entire section devoted to each doll and an eye-popping number of detailed outfits....the little flip-flops w/the bathrobe are a riot. Turns out my neighbor down the street is a consultant for the company and she does things like authenticate the various period undergarments. I then managed to dodge the 'let's buy a wardrobe for the clothes!!' bullet by working a little magic with some wood dowels & a few French wine crates from the basement. Voila!! My advice to you is to break out the hand tools and start building some 'stuff' or you'll go broke acquiring all the roll top desks, beds & wardrobe sets in triplicate :g

I guess you had to sacrifice some Japanese cds for that :D

Guest DizzySpells

bear down on that rusty Evans Verve wall safe and turn 'er into a fabric covered hat box

Why not? It obviously can't be used to store CDs. :wacko:

Looks like it's still wrapped?

No surprise.

Don't get me started on those incredibly crummy Verve box sets. Godawful, including the new Granz sessions box which looks nice, but is idiotic in its conception. It already had fingerprints before I even unwrapped it, and it's a pain in the neck to take the whole thing apart to listen to a CD. Sucks!

bear down on that rusty Evans Verve wall safe and turn 'er into a fabric covered hat box

No surprise.

Don't get me started on those incredibly crummy Verve box sets. Godawful, including the new Granz sessions box which looks nice, but is idiotic in its conception. It already had fingerprints before I even unwrapped it, and it's a pain in the neck to take the whole thing apart to listen to a CD. Sucks!

Not to mention the self-destructive JATP box--I was involved in a thread about that on the AAJ site.

Guest DizzySpells

No surprise.

Not to mention the self-destructive JATP box--I was involved in a thread about that on the AAJ site.

It's funny that you mention that one.

I have it, and, :lol: , that's about the only one that doesn't have any defects.

Beats me.

It's funny that you mention that one.

I have it, and, :lol: , that's about the only one that doesn't have any defects.

Beats me.

The stupid billboard cover doesn't fall apart when you open the box? You must have one of the few they actually glued.

Guest DizzySpells

I bought it second hand. I suspect the previous owner fixed it somehow. Whatever it is he did, that thing is rock solid and one can't see that anything was done to it. Sometimes second hand can be better than buying new mint boxes.

a few French wine crates from the basement

Now THAT'S impressive. B-)

Those wine-crate wardrobes are FANTASTIC, Weizen! I'm impressed, too!

My dad made me a little coat-tree for doll coats his mother had made for me for Xmas 1956 -- set the tone for how to deal with doll paraphernalia pleas: MAKE IT YOURSELF!

If I'd had a girl, I could have said and done that about doll stuff -- but as it happened, my son wanted video games and basketball cards...

It is...just appeared yesterday. One thing I noticed on the label is that it says '22-bit remastering'. I don't think I've ever seen anything with

22-bit......is this just flat out wrong? :huh:

MassMan With Golden Arm,

Yes, you did indeed warn me. B-)

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

It is...just appeared yesterday. One thing I noticed on the label is that it says '22-bit remastering'. I don't think I've ever seen anything with

22-bit......is this just flat out wrong? :huh:

MassMan With Golden Arm,

Yes, you did indeed warn me. B-)

Must be a typo--doesn't it have to be a multiple of 8 (at least with currently used technology)?

My dad made me a little coat-tree for doll coats his mother had made for me for Xmas 1956 -- set the tone for how to deal with doll paraphernalia pleas: MAKE IT YOURSELF!

Maren, Sounds like a nice gift that he made for you....and probably a bit difficult to make due to the size and all. I love to build these little things and basically use scraps & whatever's lying around. Problem I have is a limited tool supply -- basic bare bones collection w/your standard screwdrivers, hammer, couple of hand saws, power drill and various ancient odds & ends scattered about. Pre-Xmas '99, I managed to steal away to the garage for a few weeks and build a dollhouse from scratch. It certainly wouldn't win any design awards and Martha Stewart would undoubtedly let out a shriek in horror at the color combo trainwreck :rolleyes: ...but it was alot of fun to put together.

I built it atop a coffee table because I aways see kids having to bend way over in order to see (or do much) on the first floor....so thought it would be best to raise things a bit so that they could sit there and peer right in. Picked up some various carpet end pieces at a local shop and found some miniature picture frames for the walls and a small plastic fireplace on eBay. Also used some old floral pattern dining room wallpaper that came from my great-grandmother's house up in Boston. Believe it or not, the thing that gave me the most trouble was the stupid chimney..... trying to hand hold the small block of wood and make a perfect 'V' cut so that it would properly meet the slope of the roof was a royal pain. I think I did it four or five times over. I should really bag the cd collecting and get a decent set of tools. :g:wacko: