Larry Bunker R.I.P.

garthsj

Listening to Mel Torme's "Comin' Home Baby" album today, wondered who the swinging drummer was on the big band tracks - actually made a trip to the library to check the Tom Lord discography. Larry Bunker! (He gave up a lot of lucrative studio work to go with Bill Evans, but ultimately couldn't deal with the personal problems that haunted Evans, according to the bio mentioned above.)

Im sorry to hear about Larry's passing.

Mike, if you are referring to the Bunker/Burton dates from Shelly's Mannehole, they are both fine sides. I have one on a Japanese label and one on Vault. I dont know if they ever made it to cd, mine are both vinyl.

Larry was one of those players that when you saw his name on a date,either on drums or vibes, you knew you were going to get a nice performance.

Mike, if you are referring to the Bunker/Burton dates from Shelly's Mannehole, they are both fine sides. I have one on a Japanese label and one on Vault. I dont know if they ever made it to cd, mine are both vinyl.

Larry was one of those players that when you saw his name on a date,either on drums or vibes, you knew you were going to get a nice performance.

I have the Fresh Sound LP reissue of the Vault - not sure whether they also released a CD of this. Very collgeial move to feature Burton!

Didn't know there was a second LP.

Very well said - "a nice performance"!

How he fit in with Bill Evans on short notice when he visited California with Cuck Israels is a marvel!

This was published in today's L A Times:

March 17, 2005

Larry Bunker, 76; Respected Drummer

By Jon Thurber, Times Staff Writer

Larry Bunker, a drummer and percussionist who played with a who's who of jazz giants and fashioned a busy career as a film musician, has died. He was 76.

Bunker died March 8 at Queen of Angels-Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center in Los Angeles of complications from a recent stroke, said his wife, Brandyn.

A native of Long Beach, Bunker was musically inclined from an early age and was self-taught on piano, accordion, drums and saxophone. In 1946, he was accepted into the U.S. Army band and played drums and piano while serving at Ft. Ord until his discharge in 1948.

In the early 1950s, he played with trombonist Howard Rumsey at the fabled Lighthouse Cafe in Hermosa Beach. From then on, he played with the top names in jazz, including saxophonists Stan Getz, Art Pepper and Gerry Mulligan, and guitarist Barney Kessel. He was also a member of singer Peggy Lee's band.

He joined Bill Evans in 1964 for one of the pianist's better trios. In an interview with Down Beat magazine in 1964, Evans called Bunker a "marvelous musician."

"He plays excellent vibes as well as being an all-round percussionist, and being so musical he just does the right thing because he's listening," Evans said. "He really knows music, feels music - and is a superlative drummer."

Throughout his long career, Bunker was a highly sought-after studio musician for movies who worked with a number of leading film composers, including Henry Mancini, Alfred Newman, Miklos Rosza, Jerry Goldsmith, Johnny Mandel and John Williams. His first film was "Stalag 17" in 1953 and his last was "The Incredibles" in 2004.

He also was a timpanist for the Los Angeles Philharmonic and, according to his family, performed on more than 30 Academy Awards programs, including the 77th in February. In his later life, he listened primarily to classical music.

According to the late critic Leonard Feather, Bunker's avocations included collecting and restoring antiques, repairing instruments and making custom instruments.

In addition to his wife, Bunker is survived by his daughter, Tracy; his brother, George; and a granddaughter.

I completely missed this news... heard about it this morning from a friend of mine who works at a health-food co-op here (one of the joys of living in Bloomington--you walk into the downtown grocery store and can talk jazz with the guy behind the counter). Very sad to hear of this... somebody at AAJ said that he was also on Tom Waits' SWORDFISHTROMBONES.