that maupin solo lp on darkfunk

Guest ariceffron

http://www.darkfunk.com/latest_shows/latest_show/?id=94

For funky ECM, try the two Julian Priester albums "Love Love" (1975) and "Polarization" (1977), never reissued on CD but not impossible to find on LP. They sound like Herbie's early 70's albums on Warner and CBS.

Another Bennie Maupin album I like is "Moonscapes" (1978, on Mercury). I don't understand why it has just one star on AMG (without a review).

Edited by Claude

Another Bennie Maupin album I like is "Moonscapes" (1978, on Mercury). I don't understand why it has just one star on AMG (without a review).

I have it on vinyl and it's been a long time since I've given it a spin, but if I remember correctly, there is a slight feel of over-production on it. Most of the tracks fade out even before they have a chance to get going; for example the track that's dedicated to Rahsaan Roland Kirk.

I dig Maupin's other Mercury release, "Slow Traffic To The Right". I especially like the funkified arrangement of a tune he played with Herbie's Mwandishi band, "Water Torture". The British record label Soul Brother should release a similar anthology of Maupin's work, as they've done with Hubbard, Gary Bartz, Eddie Henderson, IMO.

I've never heard those two Julian Priester LPs, though. Didn't have the chance to download them before they were gone. :(

I think the version of Water Torture on the Crossings album is far superior - James Levi from a post-Headhunters Hancock band was a lead-footed Motown drummer. I saw that edition of Herbie's band live and was disappointed - they couldn't compete with the original Headhunters I had seen in 1974.

Still, there are so few albums in that style, I cherish them all. Most of both Mercury LPs should fit on one CD. Click here for a Maupin discography (still incomplete).

The Jewel in the Lotus is the jewel in Maupin's discography - an acoustic free form /fusion hybrid beauty!