I came across...

Thanks for the ID, Rolf. Yes, that is his name and he spoke wittily of his long-standing friendship with Ira.

As we see here, Mr. Fischler is quite accomplished as a "hockey maven". While I think I can be forgiven for my ignorance of his sports affiliation, Mr. Fischler's NY Subway expertise should not have eluded me! :)

:lol: Well, geez, Chris.....since we yokels down in VA are helping ya out by naming the guests at the party you were at, can ya pass along some details of interest? What hors d'oeuvres did they serve up? Champagne? ..a Brut? ...a Blanc de Blanc? Hank Jones play any tunes? That red wallpaper...or a red fabric wallcovering? See a copy of an Organissimo cd sitting on a shelf anywhere? ...or perhaps spy a copy of National Review tucked under the piano bench cushion?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let's see.

I didn't see the champagne bottle, but one had barely stepped out of the elevator when a tray of bubbly was moved in one's direction. It was good stuff, no cold duck here. The other wines, from an open table of such, went well with the canapés (smoked salmon and a dab of cream cheese covered a slice of cucumber; the paté and egg fragment coexisted blissfully on a raft of semi-dark pumpernickel; the red caviar looked equally at home on a bread of lighter hue).

The dinner, served buffet style, consisted of beef bourguignon, shrimp dipped in something exquisite, an imaginative salad and various gastronomic accouterments that defy description but pleased the palate. There were also rough-shaped balls of ice cream (vanilla and chocolate) with wafers not carried by supermarkets, and coffee.

Neither Hank Jones nor the other pianists played. The only CDs I saw were the Bird and Diz Uptowns Ira carried, briefly. It would not surprise me if a copy of National Review had been somewhere nearby, but I didn't even see a copy of Time, Life, or Fortune. One of the paintings does, however, incorporate artistic renderings of these magazines.

The red walls? I didn't take a good look, but I don't believe it was fabric. The dining room has a wonderful view of the 57th Street Bridge, but when it comes to window views, I think mine (with the Robert Kennedy, formerly Triboro, Bridge) tops the Luces. :)

100_1371.jpg

David Ostwald's Wednesday afternoon Birdland gigs have been the scene of Dan and George Avakian's public birthday parties the past few years. I went to Dan's 79th there in October and witnessed Dan onstage SINGING "Baby, Won't You Please Come Home." Next year is indeed Dan's 80th, as well as George's 90th (I already know the latter will definitely be publicly celebrated at Birdland in March) so there will be plenty of celebrating in the jazz community (George is even getting a Trustees Award at the Grammys this coming year).

Ricky

I came across (well, I knew they were there) literally hundred of photos sent to me by record companies over the years. It's an eclectic mixture of jazz, pop, rap, blues, whatever. I thought it might be a goo idea to share some of these, so I will post a few here every day. Be forewarned that some of record companies probably made the photographers cringe by cutting corners or not really caring how the print looked. I will, whenever possible give photo credit and, either the photographer's name or—when not available—the record label.

So here are my first...

Photos of the Day

FreddieHubbardPaulaRoss.jpg

Freddie Hubbard (Paula Ross)

HenryThreadgillDavidStewart.jpg

Henry Threadgill (David Stewart)

NoelPointerStewartOShields.jpg

Noel Pointer (Stewart O'Shields)

ShearingandTormeMichaelRose.jpg

George Shearing and Mel Torme at Newport Jazz '89 (Michael Rose)

More mañana

Chris: your first photo above is such a fabulous one of Freddie and, lo and behold, it was taken by one of my dearest friends, Paula Ross, who i have been thinking about so much today (and almost every day) since she passed just a year ago. thanks so much for posting. happy, healthy 2009 to you.

I came across (well, I knew they were there) literally hundred of photos sent to me by record companies over the years. It's an eclectic mixture of jazz, pop, rap, blues, whatever. I thought it might be a goo idea to share some of these, so I will post a few here every day. Be forewarned that some of record companies probably made the photographers cringe by cutting corners or not really caring how the print looked. I will, whenever possible give photo credit and, either the photographer's name or—when not available—the record label.

So here are my first...

Photos of the Day

FreddieHubbardPaulaRoss.jpg

Freddie Hubbard (Paula Ross)

HenryThreadgillDavidStewart.jpg

Henry Threadgill (David Stewart)

NoelPointerStewartOShields.jpg

Noel Pointer (Stewart O'Shields)

ShearingandTormeMichaelRose.jpg

George Shearing and Mel Torme at Newport Jazz '89 (Michael Rose)

More mañana

Chris: your first photo above is such a fabulous one of Freddie and, lo and behold, it was taken by one of my dearest friends, Paula Ross, who i have been thinking about so much today (and almost every day) since she passed just a year ago. thanks so much for posting. happy, healthy 2009 to you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I promised a revival of this thread. Well, today I looked in a nook and cranny or two for a Pantone book. I didn't find the book, but came across a few things. Here are 3 of them, starting with a 1964 flyer for a moldy fig gathering....

64.jpg

NatandRaycards.jpg

Xmassingle.jpg

More coming this week.

Sorry, that card from Ray Draper is from 1971, not 74.

Edited by Christiern