I came across...

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Avakian: "Although the sidemen were not terrific" etc.

I'm just old enough to remember how the general vibe with jazz critics was that the All Stars weren't very good and Pops played the same solos and it was a set routine etc etc.

Now, as then, I listen to the record (and I was fortunate enough to see Pops live a few times with Trummy and Barney) and I think what were the critics missing. Trummy and Barney swing like mad, Arvell Shaw and Barrett Deems are totally locked and the proof is in the pudding...The WC Handy and the Fats Columbias are among the high spots of an already high caliber career. Certainly some of my very favorite Pops.

Producing is interesting. I can see where a good producer is so plugged in to a performance that he hears every flaw. BUT to hear flaws enough to make you state the that people like Trummy Young are "not terrifice" .............??

I have all that exists from the "Satch Plays Fats" session tapes, about 3 1/2 hours of material. I think the All Stars sound great and Pops is magnificent on take after take...BUT Barney Bigard is terrible. Awful. Bored out of his mind and going through the motions. Deems practically calls attention to it with his drumming on the master takes. Listen to when Bigard trades with Trummy on something like "Keepin' Out of Mischief Now." As issued, Deems gives Trummy a heavy backbeat and slashes his cymbals but when Bigard's up, Deems plays like he's trying not to wake the neighbors. Well, it wasn't always like that. On the first takes, Bigard went first and Deems drove them both equally. But Bigard is so bored, it rubs off on Trummy, who also plays like he's falling asleep. However, after a few takes, everything changed, though unfortunately, the tape wasn't running to catch any studio conversations. Neverthess, around take five, Trummy began leading off and Deems began switching his backing, though Barney still played on fumes, even squeaking like an amateur on one take. It was like that on all nine tunes.

I've gotten to know Avakian quite well in preparing for my book and he still has some regrets about the album. First, Armstrong was in the middle of yet another killer stretch of one-nighters and only had time to do nine tunes, many of which he obviously already knew by heart. Avakian would have loved one more session and originally, he wanted to do material like "Willow Tree," "I Hate to Leave You Now" and a few others, but they just didn't have the time. Still, he's quite proud of the album, especially "Blue Turning Grey" and "Black and Blue." But trust me, after listening to the session tapes, Avakian did a magical job in making Barney seem coherent. If I spent two straight weeks doing editing (the final session was May 3 and Avakian wrote to Glaser on May 17 saying it's done), I might have complained about the band being "not tremendous, too."

By the way, Avakian wrote a long essay for reissue of "Satch Play Fats" in 2000. It's really great but Sony didn't use it for some reason and now Avakian's on the outs with them. Sony used those four "edited" session takes on the disc, but trust me, there's a lot more. If Sony had any respect for Armstrong, they'd be doing boxes with his mid-50s material like they have done for Miles all these years. Maybe one day...

Keep the letters coming, Chris!

Ricky Riccardi

dippermouth.blogspot.com

Sure, Allen, I'll take a request....but first,here's a letter I wrote to the NY Amsterdam News, which they printed in their August 14, 1976 issue. After some 32 years, my outrage lingers on...

760814AmsterdamNewsoutrage.jpg

They printed my letter in full, but this remains an embarrassing publication.

Edited by Christiern

They are great computers and that 24" screen is very handy for my work, which often requires that I have two pages up, side by side. My old Mac is still working fine,but I have been using it for 5 or 6 years, so it was time.

Are you pleased with your iMac?

Mine is a 20" and I love it.

Not that size matters....or so I keep telling myself... :w

That's two bassists and Oscar doubles on cello.

I'm guessing Osie Johnson on drums and Bill Crow on bass.

I can see Art Farmer too.

Never saw this one before.

Edit:

I found this, but there is a Birdland broadcast in 1956:

The Oscar Pettiford Orchestra : Ray Copeland, Art Farmer (-2); Kenny Dorham, tp (-1); Al Grey, tb; Julius Watkins, David Amram, Fr-hrn; Jerome Richardson, fl, Ts; Gigi Gryce, as; arr; Benny Golson, ts, arr; Sahib Shihab, bs; Dick Katz, p; Oscar Pettiford, b, cello; Whitey Mitchell, b; Gus Johnson, d; Betty Glamann, harp.

New York, August 23, 1957

Edit #2:

backst.jpg

"The photo was made by Bill Spilka. It does of course not show the personnel of 570526, but one of Oscar's Birdland bands. Mitsuo Johfu identified Art Farmer tp, Jimmy Cleveland tb, Whitey Mitchell b, Osie Johnson d. In addition to that I believe I recognize Jerome Richardson and J. R. Monterose ts, Idrees Sulieman tp, Dick Katz p, Betty Glamann harp. Here is another photo - backstage. - In his book "Vibrations" David Amram recalls the last tour of this unique band."

OP link

Edited by marcello

When I read this passage in the latest issue of the IAJRC Journal, talking about an exhibition of Timme Rosenkrantz photos, I had the sneaking suspicion that there was more to the story:

"Duncan [scheidt] acquired the Rosenkrantz treasures through a working partnership with Frank Driggs. While the latter was compiling swing-jazz re-issues at Columbia, he was naturally in a position to borrow artists' photos, from which Duncan made negatives and prints. The images displayed were collateral for a loan from Frank to Timme. Duncan made his slides from the first generation prints made from Timme's negatives...."