7/4

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

My son got one of those Ibanez 3/4 size electric guitars and it is always going out of tune.

This is of course, a rather inexpensive guitar- around $100.

I note the the tuning pegs seem awfully easy to move - could that be the problem?

Maybe a dumb question - but I thought I would give it a try.

I think I've narrowed down the search on finding out the year of my guitar. The Gibson Explorer E2 was only manufactured from 1979-1983, the serial number on mine starts with a 7 so I'm guessing it's a 79.

I've searched around online and the one odd thing is I haven't found any pictures of my model guitar that has the locking tremolo. I registered over at the Gibson forum in hopes that someone there can solve the mystery.

I gotta get a digital camera...

I think I've narrowed down the search on finding out the year of my guitar. The Gibson Explorer E2 was only manufactured from 1979-1983, the serial number on mine starts with a 7 so I'm guessing it's a 79.

I've searched around online and the one odd thing is I haven't found any pictures of my model guitar that has the locking tremolo. I registered over at the Gibson forum in hopes that someone there can solve the mystery.

I gotta get a digital camera...

Locking trems were kinda new in '79. It could have been installed after it left the factory.

Well, I got the answer:

"The first and fifth digits (7 and 9) are the year. The second, third and fourth digits (3, 1 and 4) are the day of the year. The last three numbers are the production number. So your guitar was built on the 314th day of 1979 (november 10th, I believe) and the production number is 76."

As for the tremolo I'm trying to find out whether that was available at the time or not. The tremolo is branded Gibson and has the phrase "U.S. Pat Applied For" on it. The previous owner once told me it was a Floyd Rose before it was patented, but I'm not sure if that's correct or not.

Well, I finally concluded that my Ibanez 2630 was way too much guitar for the style I play, and since I needed new gear, I sold it.

I found a very nice 2004 Takamine Model EAN15C in a local pawn shop. Solid top, back and - I think - sides. Got it out the door for $600. It listed new for near $1800, and I couldn't be happier. I never owned a solid top before. I was wanting a 00 or another narrow waist model instead of another dreadnought, but I couldn't pass this one by.

The pic is from the factory site; the pic of mine is too large a file to post.

Played through my Acoustisonic and a Boss AD3 pre, this guitar really comes to life.

post-540-1234072736_thumb.jpg

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

Nice Magic Sam clip, stay with it until the end, he's giving a lesson to every guitar player on how to boogie, and I think he might, just might, be playing Earl Hooker's Les Paul Copy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoXI1zZbGIc...feature=related

P.S. I think the drummer has his wallet on the snare.

Edited by Cliff Englewood

Nice Magic Sam clip, stay with it until the end, he's giving a lesson to every guitar player on how to boogie, and I think he might, just might, be playing Earl Hooker's Les Paul Copy.

Oh man...this clip is among my favorites for sure! I'm a HUGE Magic Sam fan. Thanks for posting this. :)

Oh man...this clip is among my favorites for sure! I'm a HUGE Magic Sam fan. Thanks for posting this. :)

Yea, I'd love to know what kinda amp he was going through here, his tone is just amazing.