You Can't Do That on Television

Anyone remember this show that ran on Nickelodeon back in the 80's?

Man, I LOVED that show! Fast-paced, non-stop, bad gags at every turn; green slime and water; torture chambers where kids dreamed of the day of seeing "blue skies, Barfy Burgers, GIRLS!" Executions where the "executioner" always seemed to live to see another execution despite being gunned down only five minutes earlier. I think my mom summed it up best when she said that it was like "Laugh-In" for a new and younger generation.

There were so many good scenes, but one I always remember was when Alasdair (sp?) walked into the arcade and was stopped by Blip, the gameroom operator, for carrying food. "No food allowed in the arcade!" "This isn't food," explained Alasdair; "it's a Barfy Burger." "No pets, either" was Blip's response. Cut to Barfy playing a video game who turns around and says, "Hey! I hearrrrrrd that!"

This series is BEGGING for some kind of DVD reissue!

I used to watch this a lot too when I was a kid. It always made me laugh - the green slime, the torture chamber, everything. Most people know this, but this show is where Alanis Morissette got her start in show business. I do remember her being on there, mainly because of her unusual name. I haven't seen the show in at least 10 years, but would love to see it again. :tup

Me and a friend of mine use to watch this all the time. I loved the father character & Ross the stage hand. "Don't-don't encourage him." I had a crush on Christine McGlade. I wrote to her once and got sent vital facts on the cast (height, hair color). I was surprised and saddened to find she was about 7 years older than me. Though she actually wrote a PS on the note. I asked if she like The Psychedelic Furs (first 3 albums are the good ones) and she wrote her favorite song was "India" from "the black album" (first album). Wonder what Moose is lookin' like now.

I remember this fondly when my parents first got cable many years ago.

All I remember are locker jokes, Barf Burgers, and a red-headed mother whose significance I can't quite remember. I think Ross was her son and ........damn, I can't remember!

I'd love to see a few seasons of this on DVD.

I used to watch this as a kid, and I never missed it. I had a thing for Christine too, although I never wrote to her.

Frankly, I think a lot of boys of my generation were into Moose for the same reason boys of my father's generation were into Annette on the Mickey Mouse Club: She had boobs at a time when we were starting to notice them!

I always thought Lisa was far more attractive than Christine. Personal preference, I guess.

Another bit I always enjoyed: the opposites! Where kids would be enjoying Barfy Burgers without getting sick (or he'd actually make them with real ingredients!).

That guy, Les Lye, all of his characters cracked me up: the dad, the producer, Blip, the teacher, the dungeon master, the executioner, etc etc etc. And speaking of the whole "Don't encourage him" shtick, one that I always remember is a scene at the dinner table, one of the kids wants a big piece of pie and the mom says Dad gets the bigger piece of pie.

"Why?" says the kid. "Because your father is the bread winner," says Mom. "Then give him the biggest piece of bread," says the kid. "She's got a point, dear," says Mom. "Don't encourage her!" says Dad, as he grabs the piece of pie anyway!

Very amusing thread. Yeah, I think I had a bit of a crush on Alanis Morrissette in those days. Not so much anymore though.

I remember very few specifics about the show, but they did a bit of a tribute to the show on an episode of News Radio from several years ago. Dave Foley is Canadian and was on that show and always wondered if he had something to do with it. Funny thing is, that I am sure that many from my generation were probably influenced by that show and have gone on to create and write for television.