Best Country Visited.

Guest che

Hi.

Not sure if we have had a travel thread, if so I am sure I will be directed ;)

Anyway what is the best country you have visited outside your own country? And what are the reasons for this?

For me I live in the UK and I would choose Finland.

This is a country that few people, well at least that I know, have little knowledge about. The landscape, the climate and the culture all appeal to me and they play Ice Hockey (very well).

Any thoughts?

Che.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in the US and for me it is India (out of the four foreign countires I have visited). Fascinating on multiple levels ...

That's great! I've always wanted to see India.

I don't have a lot of countries to choose from. Let's see...

I went to Tijuana once and had the greatest taxicab ride of my life. :g

Being originally from Canada, I would have to say my answer is America!!! The good old USA :tup

Being from the U.S., I'd say...

Canadian%20Flag.jpeg

I've only visited the western provinces of Canada and only made one trip to Mexico (Mazatlan area), but I've always loved Canada... in the summertime, that is. B-) Took the train from Vancouver to Banff a few years ago. Spectacular.

They all have their charms and there's no way I could pick a favorite. I think my most lasting impression of each country, strangely, is just a mental snapshot of scenery, often from some high place:

--The commanding view from Shirley Heights, English Harbour, Antigua;

--Standing atop Chichen Itza, in Mexico;

--The valleys of the Bernese Oberland, Switzerland;

--Looking down from the hill temple of Wat Doi Suthep, northern Thailand, as a monk calmly tosses water on worshippers;

--The endless turquoise of the South China Sea, off Sabah, Malaysian Borneo, as well as the gorgeous foothills of Mt. Kinabalu (someday I will climb it!)

I wish I had pictures to do all of these justice...

Spain. I had my honeymoon there :wub:

In addition, the people were gregarious, helpful and just all around wonderful. We arrived in Madrid, motored down through Toledo, Sevilla, Cordoba, Ronda, finally to the coast in Malaga. Loved the walks, the culture, had a great time, period. As this was in '85 and the dollar was unbelievably high, we stayed at the finer hotels for a high of $50 a night!

:tup

Spain. I had my honeymoon there :wub:

In addition, the people were gregarious, helpful and just all around wonderful. We arrived in Madrid, motored down through Toledo, Sevilla, Cordoba, Ronda, finally to the coast in Malaga. Loved the walks, the culture, had a great time, period. As this was in '85 and the dollar was unbelievably high, we stayed at the finer hotels for a high of $50 a night!

:tup

My choice too. I keep going back to the place at least twice a year!

Did not go there on a honeymoon since my first visit to the country was one year before my girl and I married.

Sorry to report that $50 is not enough these days for a good hotel!

But it will buy you excellent food plus wine!

Besides the place is far enough from Finland for me!

Let's all chip in and send "che" to Finland. Fins can send money to me to stop this movement. :g

I have been to Finland many times, travelled as far North as Kittla to the small, but very attractive town of Porvoo in the South. Each time I go I learn and discover something new.

Che.

I'm very fond of Spain too. Until recently I owned a house with my father in the Malaga area. Many good memories.

I think my wife would like to live in Spain, she finds the whole country wonderful.

Che.

I have some difficulties with the definitions of this question:

I live in Israel, but I was born in Norway and I have very strong feelings / connections to it, so I think I would refrain from just saying the obvious - Norway which is like a second home for me (I guess I feel as though it is also my own country, which takes it out of the equation).

I'd have to go for Canada I guess, I got there almost by mistake, and haven't spent a lot of time there (visiting Toronto & the Niagara Falls), but I guess for me Toronto seemed to take all the positive sides of the US while dropping the Negatives.

I have some difficulties with the definitions of this question:

I live in Israel, but I was born in Norway and I have very strong feelings / connections to it, so I think I would refrain from just saying the obvious - Norway which is like a second home for me (I guess I feel as though it is also my own country, which takes it out of the equation).

I'd have to go for Canada I guess, I got there almost by mistake, and haven't spent a lot of time there (visiting Toronto & the Niagara Falls), but I guess for me Toronto seemed to take all the positive sides of the US while dropping the Negatives.

Daniel.

I have never been to Israel or Norway, I have some friends in Israel who tell me about what life is like there.I will go to Norway next year to attaned a conference that I am speaking at.

Che.

I have some friends in Oslo, they like to hike and they tell that Norway is great in the winter as well. It is the only Scandanavian country I have been to.

Che.

I'm in the UK, there are some nice places in Europe, Bruges is a beautiful city for example. But the USA is the place for me. Visited fifteen states so far, mostly touring the national parks, but I enjoyed (not in any particular order)Colorado, Arizona and Utah the most.

I'm in the UK, there are some nice places in Europe, Bruges is a beautiful city for example. But the USA is the place for me. Visited fifteen states so far, mostly touring the national parks, but I enjoyed (not in any particular order)Colorado, Arizona and Utah the most.

Ah, Arizona! Toured that state more than a decade ago, stayed at the Grand Canyon, a mere few steps from a drop into oblivion. If one ever wants to get an appreciation for the age of this earth, that's the place to go.