Sonny Rollins Prestige box

I already own Saxophone Colossus, Tenor Madness and Plus Four on CD. I also years ago bought an LP of Worktime which I haven't opened yet.

Is that all of the best music on the Rollins Prestige box? Would it be worthwhile for me to spend a little bit at Your Music for the box, or do I already have just about everything worth having?

I'm not a completist. Just because there is something available in the box doesn't move me to want it.

Your suggestions are appreciated!

You have the strongest LP-length sessions from the box, yes (though Plays for Bird & Tour de Force are also strong dates you'd probably want to hear, even if I find Tour de Force's two ultrafast pieces offputting). If the box is at a good price it's well worth getting. Though much of the best material on the first few discs is also available under the names of Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Art Farmer or JJ Johnson.

It's kind of a PARADOX that someone who professes a liking for Rollins' Prestige material could take a RAINCHECK on listening to such an important recording. But I guess THERE ARE SUCH THINGS in this world. Look, IT'S ALL RIGHT WITH ME and perhaps a few other members on this board who are not as fervent in their well-founded opinions as Mr. Nessa, but do yourself a favor and at least have a listen to perhaps the only jazz recording ever of THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS.

(That post was a bit tortured but fun to do :D ).

Edited by MartyJazz

Nate Dorward, you remind me that I already have the Miles Dig and Oleo sessions, as well as all of the Monk sessions.

It looks like I'm right in the middle, having more than half the box already. That may be too much to justify buying the box, instead of just the two albums you mention.

Thanks everyone for your input! You too, Chuck! :lol:

Oh, jeez, if you've already got the Monk & Davis sessions, plus you have so many of the original Rollins albums, there's little point in getting the box unless you're getting a great deal. Just buy the original albums separately. Make sure you get Collector's Items under Davis's name, by the way--the version of "In Your Own Sweet Way" on there with Rollins is better than that with Coltrane, I think.

You can get the Rollins Prestige box at www.yourmusic.com for $35 including shipping if that makes your decision any easier. They also have some of this & Freelance years material as single discs remastered with SACD or 20 bit.

Edited by Peter

It's kind of a PARADOX that someone who professes a liking for Rollins' Prestige material could take a RAINCHECK on listening to such an important recording.  But I guess THERE ARE SUCH THINGS in this world.  Look, IT'S ALL RIGHT WITH ME and perhaps a few other members on this board who are not as fervent in their well-founded opinions as Mr. Nessa, but do yourself a favor and at least have a listen to perhaps the only jazz recording ever of THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS.

Bravo!

OK, Chuck, you've convinced me!

I'll plan to open Worktime on Easter. It will be a good way to celebrate the day.

By the way, my LP is an OJC I bought about '93. Is there any reason to think it's a collector's item? If so, I really will offer it on eBay, but if not I'll just play it.

By the way, my LP is an OJC I bought about '93.  Is there any reason to think it's a collector's item?

Nope. You have cigars worth more than $9.98 price tag on this LP. All this fuss over an OJC. :rolleyes: This LP is still in print if you want to order another sealed copy. :D

Edited by wolff

It's kind of a PARADOX that someone who professes a liking for Rollins' Prestige material could take a RAINCHECK on listening to such an important recording. But I guess THERE ARE SUCH THINGS in this world. Look, IT'S ALL RIGHT WITH ME and perhaps a few other members on this board who are not as fervent in their well-founded opinions as Mr. Nessa, but do yourself a favor and at least have a listen to perhaps the only jazz recording ever of THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS.

(That post was a bit tortured but fun to do :D ).

The Zagat Guide to jazz!

:lol: