Terrell Stafford

sheldonm

I saw Terell Stafford live many times within the past 2 weeks at the Vail, Colorado Jazz Party.

Terell is among my favorite 3 or 4 living trumpet players. He blows with great power and yet can also

play beautifully on a ballad. He swings hard. A friend with me at Vail described Terell as a modern

Roy Eldridge in that he plays with such energy, enthusiasm and power.

just curious, Peter, but do you think it's more difficult, for trumpet players especially, to play in Vail due to the altitude?

As a brass player I will throw in my two cents and say YES. I used to play at the Aspen festival each summer for a few years, and it always took a little time to adjust to the altitude (and attitude :w). You take in the usual deep breath and feel like you aren't getting ANY air. Eventually you get used to it, and the bonus is when you go back to lower altitudes you suddenly have TONS of air! I still play a lot in Colorado (Denver area, not quite a high altitude) and the same problem exists to a lesser degree.

When I was on the road w/Woody Herman we played a gig in Aspen (around '87) and Woody got very sick from the altitude (he was not in good health at that point).

Edited by Free For All

I saw Terell Stafford live many times within the past 2 weeks at the Vail, Colorado Jazz Party.

Terell is among my favorite 3 or 4 living trumpet players. He blows with great power and yet can also

play beautifully on a ballad. He swings hard. A friend with me at Vail described Terell as a modern

Roy Eldridge in that he plays with such energy, enthusiasm and power.

just curious, Peter, but do you think it's more difficult, for trumpet players especially, to play in Vail due to the altitude?

I have been to the Vail Jazz Party a few times. Some musicians do seem to have a bit of trouble with the altitude.

Terell Stafford had been at Vail for about 10 days before the Jazz party started so I believe he had fully adjusted

to the altitude. Some other musicians on a variety of instruments did comment about that issue.

Thanks guys for the positive input. Unless something suddenly comes up, it looks like I'll be attending tomorrow nights show(Thursday). From what I understand Dick Oatts is playing with him. I've heard that's a good thing?

Dick Oatts is a tremendous altoist! :tup

Dick Oatts is a monster. He has some great recordings out on Steeplechase, some with Rich Perry (under Harold Danko's name) and a great one w/Jerry Bergonzi called Saxology that evokes some Tristano nostalgia. Highly recommended! :tup

Last nights show was a real good one. At times it felt Stafford could blow the roof off the place. Oatts was a monster as described by "Free For All" especially on the uptempo numbers. I wasn't familiar with the other players in the band with the exception of David Wong on bass who I just happened to see play with Brian Lynch just over a month ago. All were quite good. The show was well attended for a Thursday night. Not a full house but a pretty decent crowd. I'm glad I was able to attend the show and would fully recommend to those who haven't seen Terell Stafford perform to check him out. :tup

Edited by Tom 1960

• 1 month later...