Shrinkwrap on Vinyl

ralphie_boy

Interesting discussion. 30 years ago or so I purchased a way underpriced Columbia shrink wrapped MINGUS DYNASTY which I've never opened, simply because I already had another copy that I played every so often back then. Years later, I now play the CD when I want to listen to the music. I had always assumed that my shrink wrapped copy would just increase in value, but apparently not to those who believe that it is already warped. I think I'll take Weizen's advice and simply slit it just partially, but I really don't wish to open it fully. It's an OCD thing, I guess.

Leaving the shrinkwrap on will eventually cause warpage.

I've seen it.

Five years ago I bought a Hubbard 'Goin' Up' mono W. 63rd that had been part of a sealed collection until the owners demise.....and it has a medium dish warp. The 'Open Sesame' from the same collection didn't. Difficult to say with absolute certainty but it's my understanding that it's okay to leave shrink on as long as you slit the openeing.

Was it the disc or the jacket? ...or both? When I ran the jazz archives at KU, a number of the early BN LP jackets bowed in toward the front. It seems the laminant likes to shrink over time because I noticed this same situation among records from different donors and always in the same direction. I should add that they were otherwise in great shape. My guess is that they could have been in tighter quarters on whatever shelves they were on before they made it to the Archives. But that's just a guess....

Edited by Brandon Burke

Leaving the shrinkwrap on will eventually cause warpage.

I've seen it.

Five years ago I bought a Hubbard 'Goin' Up' mono W. 63rd that had been part of a sealed collection until the owners demise.....and it has a medium dish warp. The 'Open Sesame' from the same collection didn't. Difficult to say with absolute certainty but it's my understanding that it's okay to leave shrink on as long as you slit the openeing.

Was it the disc or the jacket? ...or both? When I ran the jazz archives at KU, a number of the early BN LP jackets bowed in toward the front. It seems the laminant likes to shrink over time because I noticed this same situation among records from different donors and always in the same direction. I should add that they were otherwise in great shape. My guess is that they could have been in tighter quarters on whatever shelves they were on before they made it to the Archives. But that's just a guess....

They may have been even more suceptible with the extra heavy gauge stock and shiny laminates.

I have had the same experience.

Even if I buy doubles or triples, I've learned the hard way to open and inspect/play every copy as soon as I get them. I'm either happy with the quality and put it away or I send the defective copies back.

I have quite a few extra copies of great LP's that will never be pressed on vinyl again. It's nice having the extras. I guess it's like having two mint cars in case I wreck one.

Well of course records are meant to be played, but they're also collectibles. Perhaps the original poster has no interest in the music or perhaps he has a second copy for listening. His reason for having the LP is irrelevant to the question asked - unless, that is, his reason is to hear the album, in which case I guess he would have to remove the shrinkwrap. ;)

I have a few still-sealed LPs, and unless I want to listen to the album I'll leave it sealed until that time - and I've never had one warp on me by doing so. The way I see it is you can always take the shrinkwrap off but you can never put it back on and have the LP (as a potential collectible) in its original state.

RDK I take your point about sealed vinyl as collectables. My point, I guess, was the same as those who talked about records as a means to hear the music.

The garage/vintage car analogy was apt.

I'm not flingin' aspersions at anyone who sees sealed vinyl as collectables, but rather wondering why anyone would want to have records, sealed, vintage or not, if they didn't want to play them. Surely their monetary value is not that high?

Wonderful things, whatever they are, are meant to be used and enjoyed, not salted away to be looked at occasionally, on the chance that one might want to sell them someday. No interest in the music?? Then collect stamps or coins. Just my opinion, but there it is.

Of course why anyone collects anything they have no intention of using is their own business, but my curiosity got the best of me. Forgive me??

For my own part, I have about a dozen first editions of books which are over a hundred years old. I treasure them. But I read them because that's why books are written. The authors did not intend to have their books sit on a shelf to be admired as collectables. Neither, IMO, did musicians intend to have their records sit on shelves to be admired.

Edited by patricia

LMAO

Hopefully, the results of a recent study will comfort those who have concerns over records not being played.

The study revealed that the number one reason that records are not being played is........

no working turntable.

I think that you're right, Wolff.;)

But, funny thing. For several years I had no turntable. I had purged my life of vinyl and gave my turntable to the guy who bought my record collection for a pittance when I moved. CDs seemed to be the wave of the future and new vinyl had virtually disappeared, much like BETA when VHS became the only film on video.

Even so, I still went to record shops during the time I had no turntable. During my visits I bought records, some factory sealed, but didn't keep them because I couldn't play them.

Rather, I sent them to a friend who could. After about a year I decided that I needed a turntable, encouraged by him and got one.

Since then, about two years ago, I have collected around a thousand vintage jazz records and playing them is one of my joys. Just having the records, for me, was an empty experience. The pleasure is in the playing of them. :wub:

Edited by patricia

• 2 weeks later...

Leaving on shrinkwrap can also cause split seams, usually at the top in the middle. I think this is because the card expands due to slow absorption of moisture through the shrinkwrap. Not the same issue as warping the record, which I have also seen, usually in cheaper vinyl which maybe hasn't been stored properly.

• 2 weeks later...

just off the top of my head,maybe people who collect sealed albums also have an opened copy of the same album that they can play. i don't collect albums, but i assume that certain albums, in sealed, mint condition, could be worth quite a bit more than one that was opened, and played.

Edited by mike casinghino

chuck, i am only responding to a previous post,by patricia, that stated the $$$ value of sealed albums could not be that high. when in fact, sealed albums in mint condition, are worth alot more than an opened album.

so pfffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!! to your WHOA!!!!!

Edited by mike casinghino

chuck, i am only responding to a previous post,by patricia, that stated the $$$ value of sealed albums could not be that high. when in fact, sealed albums in mint condition, are worth alot more than an opened album.

so pfffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!! to your WHOA!!!!!

I was responding to the change in site colors for this forum - they are now different again.

No dis to you.

Don't look at me; I collect used postage stamps...can you imagine anything more worthless than that? :lol:

Oh, I don't know about that, Jazzmoose. All three of my brothers and both my daughters collected postage stamps, in a big way. The side benefit was that they were prompted to learn more than I certainly do, about geography and the cultures of other countries. Of course, if all they had done was collect them and arrange them in albums, it wouldn't have been much of a hobby.

However, the stamp itself had already served it's function and may be said to be serving yet another for them.

Unsealed vinyl is being prevented from serving the function for which it was intended. It was not meant to just sit on a shelf, being taken down occasionally to be looked at.

I'm not disputing the value put on mint, unplayed vinyl by collectors. I'm just puzzled at the idea that an item with an intended function could be valuable for just being.

But, collectors of anything are often a separate species. After all, people collect rare wines, keeping them at exact temperatures, for decades and never drink them. I think that's odd as well.