Membership here is growing fast.

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell, John Litweiler has posted about 20 times, and yet anything he has to say about jazz will have far more import than something posted by me... or a number of other folks who have umpteen hundred or thousand posts.

As proof of this, I've posted many times and can't seem to remember anything significant that I've said (except maybe a happy birthday here and there)

why exactly do you need a thread welcoming you, so desperately? Just start posting and be done with it. People will treat you as you treat them, I've found.

Who are you referring too?

che.

Bev, you know I dig you, but really, that last response of yours is reading/projecting an attitude into what I said that does not exist.

Spin it anyway you want, through whatever lens you want, but I promise you, your "class resentment", or whatever Anglo-baggage you've got going on whenever you rage against assumed superiority, is being put to use on a target that, in this case, is all in your mind.

Like I said, I dig you, and still do, but really, man, you're way off base here.

Jsngry,

Notice this line from my post:

The 'intent' may be innocent - the actual effect is to make AAJ appear like the place you get sent if you're not clever enough to cut it here.

I don't for a minute believe you harbour any elitist intentions.

My issue is with the assumptions you unwittingly make with regard to AAJ - as if it's somehow less serious, somewhere more suited to a poster on the learning slopes of jazz.

Now I actually agree that AAJ is more welcoming to new posters who have little knowledge (though it can be equally as harsh to a new arrival wanting to lay down the law). But it also has discussions which are as intense as anything here - find the one on non-Western improvised music as an example.

The people who run Organissimo seem to have a very open approach to who posts here. It's developed its own particular identity. It has some very knowledgeable, experienced posters here who I've learned loads from (I'm just a mere listener with no inside knowledge, no grand theories, I can't even play an instrument).

But sometimes some of the regulars here can get rather self-congratulatory - 'Arn't we the best, I only post here not there because...' You don't really get that at AAJ. Part of the trick of being intelligent, beautiful or skilful is to carry it off with some humility.

Suggesting 'Newbies' with limited jazz knowledge would be better off starting some place else so as not to get hurt might be meant with good intent.

But it actually comes across as patronising to both the 'Newbie' and the place you are suggesting they go to.

To repeat, I don't think that this was your (or Brad's) intent. But to a (relative) outsider whose main 'home' is at AAJ that is how it came across.

Bev, you know I dig you, but really, that last response of yours is reading/projecting an attitude into what I said that does not exist.

Spin it anyway you want, through whatever lens you want, but I promise you, your "class resentment", or whatever Anglo-baggage you've got going on whenever you rage against assumed superiority, is being put to use on a target that, in this case, is all in your mind.

Like I said, I dig you, and still do, but really, man, you're way off base here.

Jsngry,

Notice this line from my post:

The 'intent' may be innocent - the actual effect is to make AAJ appear like the place you get sent if you're not clever enough to cut it here.

I don't for a minute believe you harbour any elitist intentions.

My issue is with the assumptions you unwittingly make with regard to AAJ - as if it's somehow less serious, somewhere more suited to a poster on the learning slopes of jazz.

Now I actually agree that AAJ is more welcoming to new posters who have little knowledge (though it can be equally as harsh to a new arrival wanting to lay down the law). But it also has discussions which are as intense as anything here - find the one on non-Western improvised music as an example.

The people who run Organissimo seem to have a very open approach to who posts here. It's developed its own particular identity. It has some very knowledgeable, experienced posters here who I've learned loads from (I'm just a mere listener with no inside knowledge, no grand theories, I can't even play an instrument).

But sometimes some of the regulars here can get rather self-congratulatory - 'Arn't we the best, I only post here not there because...' You don't really get that at AAJ. Part of the trick of being intelligent, beautiful or skilful is to carry it off with some humility.

Suggesting 'Newbies' with limited jazz knowledge would be better off starting some place else so as not to get hurt might be meant with good intent.

But it actually comes across as patronising to both the 'Newbie' and the place you are suggesting they go to.

To repeat, I don't think that this was your (or Brad's) intent. But to a (relative) outsider whose main 'home' is at AAJ that is how it came across.

Bev.

I enjoyed reading this post.

Thanks

Che.

Che,

Here's what I think. Organissimo is a big tent. There are all kinds of people here. Some know a lot, some know a little, and most of us are someplace inbetween. When I first joined the Blue Note Board many moons ago, I thought I knew a lot, but I saw pretty quickly I didn't, at least relative to some of the people who were posting back then. So, I laid back and just learned and contributed when I thought I had something of value to say. I think what you'lll find is that this is far and away the most effective way to weave yourself into the fabric of this board and to be accepted by its members. It's not really necessary to announce yourself as a newbie...there are plenty of ways to tell that. Just pay attention and I think you'll find that if you're serious about jazz and serious about learning, your knowledge and understanding will increase exponentially over time. I know mine has.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Che,

Here's what a think. Organissimo is a big tent. There are all kinds of people here. Some know a lot, some know a little, and most of us are someplace inbetween. When I first joined the Blue Note Board many moons ago, I thought I knew a lot, but I saw pretty quickly I didn't, at least relative to some of the people who were posting back then. So, I laid back and just learned and contributed when I thought I had something of value to say. I think what you'lll find is that this is far and away the most effective way to weave yourself into the fabric of this board and to be accepted by its members. It's not really necessary to announce yourself as a newbie...there are plenty of ways to tell that. Just pay attention and I think you'll find that if you're serious about jazz and serious about learning, your knowledge and understanding will increase exponentially over time. I know mine has.

Up over and out.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Che.

This is getting somewhat boring. Dave's advice is very good. We all know what the relative boards are about and we all know that we're not trying to be patronising (which I think Bev recognized) so as Greg said let's get on with and start posting something useful. Sheesh!

But sometimes some of the regulars here can get rather self-congratulatory - 'Arn't we the best, I only post here not there because...' You don't really get that at AAJ.

Oh REALLY? Hmmmmm...

Indeed it does, and that certainly was one of them. But as a rule, when I check in there, I'm usually in and out in less than five minutes, unless there's a good topic going in the Musician's Forum (which is for me the most interesting place there. Lots of "newbie" players looking for advice, and not of the "Tell me I'm ok! Don't SCARE me!" type).

Again, purely personal preference, which in either case, I see no need to defend or belittle.

Again, I suggested no such thing. That is entirely your interpretation, and it is totally wrong. What I suggested is that those wanting a less "intense" atmosphere would probably find AAJ more to their liking. And frankly, your characterizations of the atmosphere at AAJ seems to suggest that my assessment is correct.

Well, if you interpret it the way you do, yes, it does. But if I choose to interpret the sun as a curse because it causes skin cancer, well, whose fault it that? Mine, or the sun's for not being what I think it should be? Should I expect the sun to change, or should I just learn what it is and deal with it, even if it means staying inside during the day?

A poor analogy, to be sure, and not to compare Organissimo to the sun or anything like that, but still, the point remains - not everything is going to be a good fit for everybody, and those who don't find a good fit in Place A would be better served by looking for said good fit elsewhere, rather than bitching and moaning about how Place A won't come to a grinding halt and remodel itself in their image.

Life's too short, ya' know? And as glorious as the Whiny Adolescent Years are in some aspects, they're really not well-suited for carrying out adult affairs in the adult world. Although, the last few years have got me reconsidering that one... :g

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, but not for what was said. If you choose to continue misinterpreting the whole thing, that is, of course, your perogative.

This is getting somewhat boring. Dave's advice is very good. We all know what the relative boards are about and we all know that we're not trying to be patronising (which I think Bev recognized) so as Greg said let's get on with and start posting something useful. Sheesh!

Indeed. I'm outta this lovefest. ;)

Hardbop jazz. started this thread, and I guess for a reason and I do not find it boring. I guess you do not have to contribute if you disagree with me!

Che.

Agreed too.

I think it's run its course.

This is getting somewhat boring.  Dave's advice is very good.  We all know what the relative boards are about and we all know that we're not trying to be patronising (which I think Bev recognized) so as Greg said let's get on with and start posting something useful.  Sheesh!

Agreed too.

I think it's run its course.

For you yes.

For me no.

Che.

And Punk happened because it was a license to party, to take a leak off the stage and to make tons of money while only being able to play one single chord.

Cheers!

Tell the truth, Deus -- three chords, at least!

Like Buddy Holly or Bill Haley?

Che.

OK, agreed, but how many leaks off the stage? I saw the Stiff Little Fingers in a small shack in Copenhagen once, first the soundcheck in the afternoon, which is a story in itself, and then the concert the same evening (the shack was just across from my school). Let me put it this way: standing anywhere near the stage was a frightening experience. Should've brought an umbrella. I'm surprised nobody got electrocuted.

Their "Alternative Ulster" was a fave of mine in those days.

Cheers!

P.S.: In the same shack (we pretty much had free entry because we used it for lots of school events), I saw Girlschool once (anyone remember them)? Now, I'm sure the concert woud have sucked (hell, it was for free), but it never really came to that. The band started playing, the lead singer stepped out and WHACK! Electrocuted. She was lying on the floor for a while, shaking like a fish out of water, and that was it. Concert over.

Today, in the same place, the Copenhagen Planetarium is standing.

Probably better that way.

Exactly in this spot:

Tycho%20Brahe%20Planetarium_Copenague.jpg

[Edited for typo.]

Edited by deus62

OK, agreed, but how many leaks off the stage? I saw the Stiff Little Fingers in a small shack in Copenhagen once, first the soundcheck in the afternoon, which is a story in itself, and then the concert the same evening (the shack was just across from my school). Let me put it this way: standing anywhere near the stage was a frightening experience. Should've brought an umbrella. I'm surprised nobody got electrocuted.

Their "Alternative Ulster" was a fave of mine in those days.

Cheers!

P.S.: In the same shack (we pretty much had free entry because we used it for lots of school events), I saw Girlschool once (anyone remember them)? Now, I'm sure the concert woud have sucked (hell, it was for free), but it never really came to that. The band started playing, the lead singer stepped out and WHACK! Electrocuted. She was lying on the floor for a while, shaking like a fish out of water, and that was it. Concert over.

Today, in the same place, the Copenhagen Planetarium is standing.

Probably better that way.

Exactly in this spot:

Tycho%20Brahe%20Planetarium_Copenague.jpg

[Edited for typo.]

You know I saw Jake Burns and the boys twice, once in Belfast and once in Manchester, and 'Alternative Ulster' is one song that I would have on my all time CD. Along with the Undertones 'Jimmy Jimmy' and 'Teenage Kicks'.

Che.

Yeah. "Alternative Ulster" brings back lots of memories. Some of the other stuff they did though I have problems listening to today. But, heck, I enjoyed it then!

"Jimmy Jimmy" ... too much "wave" stuff going on for my taste with the Undertones, but still a cool bunch back then. Didn't they do a reunion tour last year? Think so. I recall seeing some ads for concerts around Germany just around this time last year?

Cheers!

Yeah. "Alternative Ulster" brings back lots of memories. Some of the other stuff they did though I have problems listening to today. But, heck, I enjoyed it then!

"Jimmy Jimmy" ... too much "wave" stuff going on for my taste with the Undertones, but still a cool bunch back then. Didn't they do a reunion tour last year? Think so. I recall seeing some ads for concerts around Germany just around this time last year?

Cheers!

Yes Jake and the boys got back together.

They have become one of many groups, that 're-visit ' themselves and now they appear on 'punk nights' with what is left of the Buzzcoks, the 'Alarm' and 'Sham 69' and 'The Undertones'

I recall that I saw Fergal and the boys play in Belfast many years ago, at the height of the 'troubles'. And when they sang 'teenage Kicks; and 'My perfect Cousin' the whole joint rocked.

Che.

The Alarm? :huh: There's a band I haven't thought about (or heard) in many years (although they had some kind of comeback hit under another name not too long ago, didn't they?). People always slagged them off as U2-meets-the-Clash. I had their first EP and didn't mind DEDICATION, but lost track after that.

Yes Mike Peter's was a kind of Bono, they were similar to U2 in that they combined pop with politics. Songs like '68 Guns' and 'Where were you hiding...." had some resonance for many.

Che.