Membership here is growing fast.

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Organissimo Board often does indeed have a bit of "aloof" quality to it, but it's nothing that's been intentionally cultivated. It's merely the result of a lot of like-minded indiviuals coming together. Newcomers of a similar mind are always welcome

I think these are some simple and realistic guidelines for newbies to Organissimo, at least as it pertains to the hardcore jazz discussions ( their relevance to non-musical and/or political discussions can and will vary wildly):

• If you have a question, come right out and ask it.

• If you know little or nothing about jazz, say so, and don't pretend otherwise.

• If you come here to preach, go ahead, but do so at your own risk.

• If you think you know more than you do, don't get your feeling hurt when you're told so, either directly or indirectly.

• If you come here to impress, make sure that you have the goods to do so - the bar is high (and so are some of us).

• If you like to butt heads but can't take as good as you get, this is probably not the place for you.

• Likewise - if you're the type who takes everything personally, this is probably not the place for you.

• If you expect the board culture to change on your account, don't.

• If you want your hand held, ask The Beatles.

The Organissimo Board often does indeed have a bit of "aloof" quality to it, but it's nothing that's been intentionally cultivated. It's merely the result of a lot of like-minded indiviuals coming together. Newcomers of a similar mind are always welcome

I think these are some simple and realistic guidelines for newbies to Organissimo, at least as it pertains to the hardcore jazz discussions ( their relevance to non-musical and/or political discussions can and will vary wildly):

• If you know little or nothing about jazz, say so, and don't pretend otherwise.

• If you think you know more than you do, don't get your feeling hurt when you're told so, either directly or indirectly.

• If you come here to impress, make sure that you have the goods to do so - the bar is high (and so are some of us).

• If you like to butt heads but can't take as good as you get, this is probably not the place for you.

• Likewise - if you're the type who takes everything personally, this is probably not the place for you.

Now if that ain't one post which should be made sticky, I don't know which one is.

Good points!

Cheers!

Like I said I wasn't trying to be nasty and applaud Jim's post. I think it expresses the philosophy here of experienced listeners and players. But if you're a newbie to jazz, I just don't think is the place. I think AAJ is that place. When I first joined the BNBB I was a newbie in all ways. After a few faux paux, I kept my mouth shut and basically read and listened until I had felt something I had to offer. The expression from my youth about being seen and not heard is still a useful one. I'm still in the learning mode (IMHO, you're learning till the day you die!), especially from people like Jim, Lon, Larry Kart, couw, and many others who are newbies to this Board but not to jazz.

if you're a newbie to jazz, I just don't think is the place. I think AAJ is that place.

Brad, I think there are different types of "newbies". There's the type that are mostly looking for a group of individuals with whom they can enthuse about how cool all this shit is and little or nothing more. And I see nothing wrong woth that at all. But those are the types of newbies who are likely to not feel comfortable here. And yes, I do think that AAJ is a better "fit" for them.

The type of newbie who's most likely to feel at home here is the type who has an active interest in learning about the music's history & heritage, as well as examining/debating the esthetic issues involved in same. I think that that's the "focus" of Organissimo musical discussions. That and BN/RVG fetishism. :g

No intent to claim inferiority/superiority of either type of newbie or of either board. Just a recognition that "different strokes for different folks" is a good thing, not to be dismissed as an empty slogan, but to be recognized as a healthy choice for all concerned.

The type of newbie who's most likely to feel at home here is the type who has an active interest in learning about the music's history & heritage, as well as examining/debating the esthetic issues involved in same. I think that that's the "focus" of Organissimo musical discussions. That and BN/RVG fetishism. :g

And Mosaics. :rfr

Now if that ain't one post which should be made sticky, I don't know which one is.

Good points!

Cheers!

Beautiful, Jim! :tup

Good points!

Cheers!

Beautiful, Jim! :tup

That's why I consider Jim the unofficial "mayor" of Organissimo. Or Organissimoville, as it were...

"Ah, Grasshopper! You must spend 7 years in the valley of the AAJ. Only then will you be ready to join the Great Minds at Organissimo."

You know, I finally understand why Punk happened!

This has nothing to do with arrogance.

It has something to do with protecting or warning the people who drop in here and start strutting their stuff. After they've read this, they can't say they haven't been warned ... and Chuck Nessa doesn't have to post the same one-liners again and again. :g

Besides, I think those points are valid for just about any board and basically address issues which should be common sense in the first place.

And Punk happened because it was a license to party, to take a leak off the stage and to make tons of money while only being able to play one single chord. :ph34r:

Cheers!

"Ah, Grasshopper! You must spend 7 years in the valley of the AAJ. Only then will you be ready to join the Great Minds at Organissimo."

You know, I finally understand why Punk happened!

It's not a question of being "ready to". That's bullshit.

It's a question of where to go to get what you're looking for. Nothing else. Anybody who's looking for what we focus on here is welcome to c'mon in, no "apprenticeship" required. Anybody who's not looking for it should look elsewhere. Maybe they'll find it AAJ, or maybe not. Who knows?

You yourself have noted the different vibes at the two boards, and approvingly so. This was just an attempt to deliniate the specifics of the Organissimo vibe, with no shots aimed at anybody or any other board, and no assumption of superiority claimed. implicitly or otherwise.

Thought I made that clear, but if not, and if you can be convinced, here it is again.

As for why punk happened, after everything blew up, what was left? I agree, it was a beautiful explosion, but...

As for why punk happened, after everything blew up, what was left? I agree, it was a beautiful explosion, but...

Well... different thread, I suppose. Most of the bands I loved in the 80s were the aftermath of that beautiful explosion, and wouldn't have come about without it. However, I don't believe Organissimo is in any need of a punk "corrective." Not until we all grow big beards, get fat, snort lots of coke, and start putting out triple-LP concept records with underlying Tolkien motifs... or have I spoken too soon? :unsure:

if you're a newbie to jazz, I just don't think is the place.  I think AAJ is that place.

Brad, I think there are different types of "newbies". There's the type that are mostly looking for a group of individuals with whom they can enthuse about how cool all this shit is and little or nothing more. And I see nothing wrong woth that at all. But those are the types of newbies who are likely to not feel comfortable here. And yes, I do think that AAJ is a better "fit" for them.

No intent to claim inferiority/superiority of either type of newbie or of either board. Just a recognition that "different strokes for different folks" is a good thing, not to be dismissed as an empty slogan, but to be recognized as a healthy choice for all concerned.

Jim,

As always you're right (or almost always :lol: ). I was referring to the first group that you mentioned.

To me, you're not the Mayor (although that's ok too) but a wise older brother or even a father. As SNWolf said, avuncular.

Edited by Brad

I'm sorry but I just find this all a bit patronising.

People drift in and out of boards; they tend to stay if they find them interesting, comfortable, go elsewhere if they find them hostile, dull or unresponsive.

I'd imagine new posters will be quite capable of finding their own level; if they shoot their mouth of too soon they'll get their head bitten off. That's how it happens everywhere.

Take this:

So if your into being cool, you need AAJ.

The type of newbie who's most likely to feel at home here is the type who has an active interest in learning about the music's history & heritage, as well as examining/debating the esthetic issues involved in same. I think that that's the "focus" of Organissimo musical discussions. That and BN/RVG fetishism. 

But if you're 'serious' you want here.

Choice yes...though we'll try and persuade you to choose elsewhere if you don't do it our way.

There's something a bit "separate but equal" about all of this.

The 'intent' may be innocent - the actual effect is to make AAJ appear like the place you get sent if you're not clever enough to cut it here.

Be totally inclusive. No need to suggest there are other places where less experienced posters will be happier. People find their own level.

AAJ and Organissimo are distinct, different, each with their own qualities. I once described the difference as being like a high street bar where lots of people drift in and out (AAJ); and a backstreet pub dominated by a regular clientele but still welcoming of visitors.

'Advice' like that given above gives the impression that the pub just introduced a dress code. 'No we're not telling you you have to, but..."

Edited by Bev Stapleton