Membership here is growing fast.

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what usually happens with boards, but very rarely do we get members that become 'frequent contributors.' Which is what I like to call them. Many post once or twice, or three times, than leave, never to be seen again. Then some don't post at all. I guess they forget that they joined a message board. Can you really do that by accident?

Thats what usually happens with boards, but very rarely do we get members that become 'frequent contributors.' Which is what I like to call them. Many post once or twice, or three times, than leave, never to be seen again. Then some don't post at all. I guess they forget that they joined a message board. Can you really do that by accident?

Yes you can be intimidated by the people that post 1000's, have strong opinions, seem to have great wisdom and knowledge.

What this board should have is a thread that is about 'New To Jazz' or 'New To the Board' or even 'Questions for those new to jazz or the board' or something like that.

Then the people that post 1000's could welcome the 'newbies' (such a subjective term) and invite them to be part of the board.

Just an idea.

Che.

As if this doesn't happen anyway. :blink:

Is there a thread for those new to jazz? If so I did not see it.

The comment was about why people do not seem to become 'regular contributers' to the board.

Do you have any thoughts on this, you must have a view since you have posted so many B-)

Che.

As if this doesn't happen anyway.  :blink:

The comment was about why people do not seem to become 'regular contributers' to the board.

Maybe not a thread, but we generally act nice to 'em.

Do you have any thoughts on this, you must have a view since you have posted so many B-)

They don't have as much spare time?

Thanks for that and I guess there may be many other reasons, perhaps we should encourage all that wish to contribute to so this.

I know that the AAJ board has a thread for those new to jazz, or to ask any questions about jazz etc.

Someone like you would be an ideal person to contribute to those people, like me who do not have as much knowledge as you seem to do.

Che.

As if this doesn't happen anyway.  :blink:

Maybe not a thread, but we generally act nice to 'em.

They don't have as much spare time?

"generally?"

che.

Yes you can be intimidated by the people that post 1000's, have strong opinions, seem to have great wisdom and knowledge.

What this board should have is a thread that is about 'New To Jazz' or 'New To the Board' or even 'Questions for those new to jazz or the board' or something like that.

Then the people that post 1000's could welcome the 'newbies' (such a subjective term) and invite them to be part of the board.

Just an idea.

Che.

Heck... I'm intimidated by some of the newbies here. :D:lol:

Even with thousands of posts, I know I'm still intimidated by some here with far less posts. There are some real sharp knives in this drawer.

I'm really happy to see new members. This place really is like an extended family for me. I'd hate to see it get stagnate.

Che, there have been numerous threads asking lurkers to post and join in. I don't see that on many other forums. If a person wants to post, there's plenty of threads to post in. There's very serious ones and then there are ones that are fun and silly. I can't even count how many times I've seen new members welcomed in threads they have posted in.

I would just recommend that a person read this board a little and get the feel for it before they jump in. If you do this, you'll (hopefully) not make waves, but find your groove here. A hand grenade usually isn't the best way to announce your arrival. I'll admit, I have seen some newbies to this site get a bit nasty to long-time board members. I really wouldn't suggest that until you've been here a while. It's like trying to join a group of friends and insulting one. It's not a cool way to fit in.

Che, why don't you start a new member thread or something like that. New members could use that to introduce themselves. Many of us, having been here for a while, know each other's stories, etc... It would be nice to get to know our new friends.

Just be friendly, sincere, and don't ask about Norah Jones ;) .

You'll fit in.

So.... WELCOME!

Just an idea.

Che.

Even with thousands of posts, I know I'm still intimidated by some here with far less posts. There are some real sharp knives in this drawer.

I'm really happy to see new members. This place really is like an extended family for me. I'd hate to see it get stagnate.

Che, there have been numerous threads asking lurkers to post and join in. I don't see that on many other forums. If a person wants to post, there's plenty of threads to post in. There's very serious ones and then there are ones that are fun and silly. I can't even count how many times I've seen new members welcomed in threads they have posted in.

I would just recommend that a person read this board a little and get the feel for it before they jump in. If you do this, you'll (hopefully) not make waves, but find your groove here. A hand grenade usually isn't the best way to announce your arrival. I'll admit, I have seen some newbies to this site get a bit nasty to long-time board members. I really wouldn't suggest that until you've been here a while. It's like trying to join a group of friends and insulting one. It's not a cool way to fit in.

Che, why don't you start a new member thread or something like that. New members could use that to introduce themselves. Many of us, having been here for a while, know each other's stories, etc... It would be nice to get to know our new friends.

You'll fit in.

So.... WELCOME!

I thought this was a thoughtful post and I thank you for that.

I will consider the suggestions you made.

Che.

"generally?"

che.

What AfricaBrass said.

:g

Edited by 7/4

Just an idea.

Che.

You'll fit in.

So.... WELCOME!

Hek I thought I was fitting in :rolleyes:

Che.

"generally?"

che.

What AfricaBrass said.

Mmmm

And your view is?

Che.

"generally?"

che.

What AfricaBrass said.

Mmmm

And your view is?

Che.

See the post above this one... :g

"generally?"

che.

What AfricaBrass said.

Mmmm

And your view is?

Che.

Yes I see you quote Africabrass, but that tells me nothing about what you think or what your views are.

Africabrass's last post was for me at least an inviting and thoughtful one, one that encouraged me to respond.

Che.

"generally?"

che.

What AfricaBrass said.

Mmmm

And your view is?

Che.

Those are the ones we are not nice to. We respond to friendliness. :P

"generally?"

che.

What AfricaBrass said.

Mmmm

And your view is?

Che.

Me too.

Everyday there are new members. Welcome to you all. Doesn't it seem that we are going faster then every before?

It sure does. We probably need to do something to keep the riffraff out.

Let's ban everyone who's been here for more than a year...

Radical man!

Che.

Without trying to be nasty, if newbies are looking for an introductory thread or what is jazz threads, I don't think this is the place. Try AAJ.

Well why not try here, seems a good group to me, with lots of knowlwdge and tastes. B-)

Che.