Albums Which Had Modified Artwork or Title

Kevin Bresnahan

If it's not what you're thinking of, there's another: Saxophone Colossus And More (Prestige twofer 24050). It was very common to see updated photos on those things.

Mike

Those Prestige twofers were a godsend to me when I was getting into jazz. They were so cheap. I was turned on to a lot of great music with those albums; same with the Blue Note double albums from the seventies. I used to buy all these things for under $5 apiece, usually less. :g

If it's not what you're thinking of, there's another: Saxophone Colossus And More (Prestige twofer 24050). It was very common to see updated photos on those things.

Mike

Mike, that was a different one.

And while I'm at it, I have the mid-60s cover of the Prestige Gerry Mulligan album with Mulligan's Too on it. Can't think of the name right now. The OJC has what I assume is the original cover.

But the Mulligan record didn't come with the cover! Instead, they had inserted Soultrane by mistake. Save your applause, I would have preferred the Mulligan!

EDIT 2/21: The Mulligan OJC title is Mulligan Plays Mulligan. I still can't remember the title of the 60s version, except that that wasn't it. I never entered it into my database because the record didn't come with it!

Edited by GA Russell

United Artists had the 1959 Cecil Taylor 'Hard Driving Jazz' LP turn into 'Coltrane Time' when Coltrane became a Name two or three years later!

This record has a even greater history of change. It was Hard Driving Jazz in mono and Stereo Drive in stereo. The first version of Coltrane Time was in the UAJ series with the b/w shot of Trane and was reissued on Solid State with a different color shot.

Brandon, I think those Getz-Tjader sets have different tracks between the two of them. Fingered 'em both at one point, I think.

I read an interesting story about that cover. When Fantasy decided to re-release that album as an LP in the 80s, it was unable to find any artwork! Not only could it not find its original artwork, it couldn't find a copy of the album either.

After it was released on LP but before the time came for the CD to be released, a copy of the album turned up, and they used a photo of its cover for the CD.

• 8 months later...

Roxy Music - COUNTRY LIFE

I have a magazine article somewhere, Mojo I think, that has the alternate covers for release in different countries.

Sorry to dredge up old thread by the way. :)

The US release was apparently shrink wrapped and other countries demanded just the background foliage (as opposed to the ahem....foreground foliage...).

Us Brits were lucky I suppose.

countrylife.jpg

Edited by tonym

Brandon, I think those Getz-Tjader sets have different tracks between the two of them. Fingered 'em both at one point, I think.

I read an interesting story about that cover. When Fantasy decided to re-release that album as an LP in the 80s, it was unable to find any artwork! Not only could it not find its original artwork, it couldn't find a copy of the album either.

After it was released on LP but before the time came for the CD to be released, a copy of the album turned up, and they used a photo of its cover for the CD.

Right - all versions contain the same music, BTW!

Mike

Those Prestige twofers were a godsend to me when I was getting into jazz. They were so cheap. I was turned on to a lot of great music with those albums; same with the Blue Note double albums from the seventies. I used to buy all these things for under $5 apiece, usually less. :g

Oh yes! With a deal like that, I didn't much care WHAT they put on the cover. :)