Phil Nimmons

Late

nimmon_phil_canadians_101b.jpg

Here's a Verve album I've never even heard of until today. (I was going to order it from The Bards, but it appears someone — probably here — beat me to it! <_<^_^)

Who can tell us about the music? Anyone familiar with Phil Nimmons? I thought it was interesting that this one is being reissued by Verve Canada.

Edited by Late

Though I don't know these early Verves, I do own one Nimmons release, SANDS OF TIME (2000), on Sackville. A quartet date with pianist Gary Williamson, bassist Steve Wallace, and drummer Barry Elmes. Fine playing -- Nimmons has a "chesty" tone -- as well as pleasant and often distinctive compositions by the leader. In terms of showing off his virtuosity, he strikes me a bit more Tony Scott-like than Buddy DeFranco-esque, if that makes any sense.

More info:

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/ind...s=U1ARTU0002580

I have this CD, but haven't heard it for 4 or 5 years. Nimmons is a decent clarinet player, and always plays with lots of swing and spirit. But I think his greater skill is as a composer/ arranger. He's always been fairly progressive and creative.

As for the Canadian Scene, it has a sound like you would expect from a ten-piece group of the mid- 50's. It's actually fairly full and really swings in places. Good tunes and arrangements with lots of interweaving line and so on; touches of Gil Evans (Birth of the Cool) and Marty Paich here and there. The playing is excellent, recording quality OK, if not state-of-the-art for the time. The solos are generally concise. Don't be put off by the accordian in the band. It adds a different and very enjoyable sound to the ensemble.

In the late 60'sr Nimmons 'N Nine became Nimmons 'N Nine plus Six. This is the group I prefer and they made a mid-70's album for Sackville called "The Atlantic Suite" which I think stands up as one of the finest Canadian jazz albums ever made. Nimmons at his best, IMHO.

As John said, this is a fine album, played with verve and confidence. Phil Nimmons is a wonderful clarinet player, vastly underrated because he has spent all of his life in Canada. He released two albums on Verve, both of which are worth owning. I must confess that I did not know that this had been reisued on CD ... I just bought a copy for a pittance ... check here... don't pick the first one, as I already did!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=glance&s=music

I pulled out the CD and listened to it tonight. It is even better than I had remembered. Not as much Gil Evans influence as I had imagined and perhaps a bit more Shorty Rogers. But Nimmons is his own man. Some of his originals are quite astonishing, ranking among the very best ensemble jazz being written in that '56-'59 period. This music often swings like mad and is very creative and interesting. Nimmons gets a very full sound from the 10 piece group. The sound quality is pretty good, too. This is great jazz, plain and simple. If you see it somewhere, don't hesitate.