Internet Radio

Guest che

Hi all.

Living in the UK is is almost impossible to access jazz on the radio, what there is has to be looked for on public radio.

So I was wondering waht are the best internet jazz radio stations out there that I can access?

Che.

One of the board members here, Ghost of Miles, has a radio show called Night Lights. You might want to check out some of the archived shows. His shows are themed and they're really good.

http://www.indiana.edu/~wfiu/nightlights.htm

Thanks for the plug, AB! I've been remiss in getting the "Strictly Romantic" show up on the web, but it and this week's broadcast (on the Mosaic Jazztet box) will both be up by Monday afternoon.

Some other suggestions for stations that play jazz:

WKCR, one of the more highly-touted jazz stations that's also on the Internet, out of Columbia in New York.

WBGO out of Newark, which broadcasts jazz 24 hours a day.

WGBH out of Boston also offers some good jazz programming. One of their DJs, Steve Schwartz, posts here under the name of Stevebop.

If you desire a mix of free/out and modern, check out this thread.

Edited by ghost of miles

Forgot to mention Lazaro Vega's Blue Lake Public Radio program, which will start streaming very soon:

Blue Lake

Lazaro's evening program, which I've caught a couple of times while on vacation in Michigan, is very good. And hell, next month he's going to have Henry Grimes on as a guest! Can't beat that....

http://www.jazzradio.net/ feeds my fix for jazz. even though its out of berlin, the music is 100% american.

<and the view can be nice when the studio-cam is working ;) >

Thanks for the info and I see this is your first post, so welcome to the board I am sure you will find many interesting ideas,opinions, thoughts etc etc.

I look forward to hearing some more of yours.

Che.

My internet radio is generally the same as my regular radio, but on headphones while the wife is home....KCSM. Jazz 'round the clock every day.

:tup:tup:tup

I am now a very big KCSM fan ... intelligent presentation of great, mostly mainstream jazz. I switched from KKJZ after Chuck Niles passed away .. their presentation has really detriorated in the past year ..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a great subject in my humble opinion! I listen to internet radio every day. Here are my fav's - some have already been mentioned:

WBGO - Newark - THE jazz station in NYC - great mainstream jazz!

KPLU - Tocoma - a good station for soul jazz, mainstream jazz, a little bluesy jazz..

WBEZ - Chicago - good jazz, latin and blues - specially "Blues Before Sunrise"

WCPN - Clevelend - good jazz programming too...

WWOZ - NOLA - great New Orleans jazz and R&B plus some rather out jazz...

KFAI - Twin Cities - Communty Radio - great 50's R&B programming

KCSM - my Uncle Bud is on Sunday Nights - need I say more?

WLNZ - Lansing - good swing and mainstream

I also listen to WEMU which is a great local station and when in the area, WCMU, WBLV and WCPN amd sometimes WGVU.

I guess I'm a bit of a junkie!

Best,

RJ

This is a great subject in my humble opinion! I listen to internet radio every day. Here are my fav's - some have already been mentioned:

WBGO - Newark - THE jazz station in NYC - great mainstream jazz!

KPLU - Tocoma - a good station for soul jazz, mainstream jazz, a little bluesy jazz..

WBEZ - Chicago - good jazz, latin and blues - specially "Blues Before Sunrise"

WCPN - Clevelend - good jazz programming too...

WWOZ - NOLA - great New Orleans jazz and R&B plus some rather out jazz...

KFAI - Twin Cities - Communty Radio - great 50's R&B programming

KCSM - my Uncle Bud is on Sunday Nights - need I say more?

WLNZ - Lansing - good swing and mainstream

I also listen to WEMU which is a great local station and when in the area, WCMU, WBLV and WCPN amd sometimes WGVU.

I guess I'm a bit of a junkie!

Best,

RJ

Thanks for the links.

I will try and see if I can 'get' any of them,

Che.

Forgot to mention Lazaro Vega's Blue Lake Public Radio program, which will start streaming very soon:

Blue Lake

Lazaro's evening program, which I've caught a couple of times while on vacation in Michigan, is very good.  And hell, next month he's going to have Henry Grimes on as a guest!  Can't beat that....

Thanks for the mention, Ghost. Yes, we're on late,or very early if you live in the UK. Here's hoping some of the West Coast members will pick up on Blue Lake as we're in prime time out there. Our Saturday morning program is well heard, 7 to 10 a.m. est (that's GMT plus 5 I think).

http://bluelake.ncats.net/ (p.s. we're the WBLV in RJ's post. RJ both WGVU and WBLV /WBLU stream on the web, too).

Edited by Lazaro Vega