Best British Band

Guest che

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not gonna vote, but a big :tup for mentioning the Jam, che!

Well you know I like the Jam, they became political and Paul Weller went on to bigger things.

'Going Underground' is one of the songs that I would have on a CD of my best songs. They were very much for me, the soung of 'London', and the angst and alienatin that this could create.

Che.

A group of people was talking about this at work last week. The consensus, for the 30-somethings, was a resounding "THE CLASH."

I always thought it was the Stones. That's what my uncle always told me. In his book, The Stones and The Allman Brothers pretty much run the show.

The Soft Machine definitely had a hell of a sound. For the hell of it, who likes My Bloody Valentine? What? They are British.

The Beatles would be my #1. They've had more influence than any other British band.

This thread makes me remember a time when British bands were on the cutting edge. I'm sure they still are, but it's hard to keep up with them in America now since nobody plays them here.

I don't think it's fair to ask a general best British band. It might be more interesting to list them by decade, etc...

So... the 60's, the Beatles ruled the world. Even though you may not like them, they did. They opened the floodgates for all the other great British bands that came to America.

For me, the 70's were owned by Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. And then Punk came along; America may have had the Ramones, but to me the British owned Punk.

The 80's are a bit vague for me. I tended to like the stuff that wasn't super popular.

In my opinion, the greatest rock band today is Radiohead. I also LOVE Supergrass. I wish they were more successful.

Edited by AfricaBrass

Right. You've all made complete fools of yourselves now, eh? I mean, it's obvious, isn't it? I mean, how could the answer be anything other than Monty Python (The Flying CirrrCUS)? Well... MAYBE The Dave Clark Five, but that's a close call. I mean, "Glad all over" was better than any song by Monty Python, wasn't it? Personally, I liked "Because" and "Can't you see that she's mine" even better... but I was only in the 3rd grade at the time. Well lads, enjoy yourselves. I'm off... And DON'T anybody go mentioning Herman's Hermits. Right.

Right. You've all made complete fools of yourselves now, eh? I mean, it's obvious, isn't it? I mean, how could the answer be anything other than Monty Python (The Flying CirrrCUS)? Well... MAYBE The Dave Clark Five, but that's a close call. I mean, "Glad all over" was better than any song by Monty Python, wasn't it? Personally, I liked "Because" and "Can't you see that she's mine" even better... but I was only in the 3rd grade at the time. Well lads, enjoy yourselves. I'm off... And DON'T anybody go mentioning Herman's Hermits. Right.

:lol:

Too bad Dave Clark hasn't done much to help the legacy of the DC5. Apart from the one compilation on Hollywood records in the '90s, have there been any reissues?

I liked Herman's Hermits when I was young. One of my early bands covered their tune, "No Milk Today."

I actually enjoy the Bonzo Dog Band's audio catalog slightly more than Monty Python's. But... the Holy Grail album is really funny. I love when they're at the premiere and all the celebrities are crashing into each other as they arrive. :lol::lol:

What about the Rutles? The pre-Fab Four were GREAT. I love their movie OUCH!

button.jpg

No shit. I actually listen to that record as though it weren't a comedy album. I really like it. :tup

:lol::lol:

Me too.

I've had the LP for years; bought the CD when it came out and I have the DVD.

That first album they did was brilliant. I bought the follow-up in the '90s and it didn't blow me away.

Neil Innes also needs to be credited for his turn as Sir Robin's minstral in Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

Brave Sir Robin

Em

Bravely bold Sir Robin

B7 Em

Rode forth from Camelot

Em D G

He was not afraid to die, oh brave Sir Robin

G D Asus4

He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty

D

ways

Em D G D B7

Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin

Em

He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed

B7 Em

into a pulp

D

Or to have his eyes gouged out and his elbows

G

broken

D Asus4

To have his kneecaps split and his body burned

D

away

Em D G

And his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir

D B7

Robin

G D

His head smashed in, and his heart cut out

G D

And his liver removed, and his bowels unplugged

G D

And his nostrils raped, and his bottom burned off

G

And his penis ...

Em B7 Em

Brave Sir Robin ran away,

B7 Em

Bravely ran away, away

G D Em

When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely

B7

turned his tail and fled

G D

Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about

Em B7

And gallantly, he chickened out

Em D Em D

Bravely taking to his feet

Em D Em D

He beat a very brave retreat

G Am D G B7

Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin

Em D

He is packing it in and packing it up

Em D

And sneaking away and buggering up

G D G D

And chickening out and pissing off home,

G D Em B7 Em

Yes, bravely he is throwing in the sponge

:lol::lol::tup

Right.  You've all made complete fools of yourselves now, eh?  I mean, it's obvious, isn't it?  I mean, how could the answer be anything other than Monty Python (The Flying CirrrCUS)?  Well... MAYBE The Dave Clark Five, but that's a close call.  I mean, "Glad all over" was better than any song by Monty Python, wasn't it?  Personally, I liked "Because" and "Can't you see that she's mine" even better... but I was only in the 3rd grade at the time.  Well lads, enjoy yourselves.  I'm off...  And DON'T anybody go mentioning Herman's Hermits.  Right.

Too bad Dave Clark hasn't done much to help the legacy of the DC5. Apart from the one compilation on Hollywood records in the '90s, have there been any reissues?

I liked Herman's Hermits when I was young. One of my early bands covered their tune, "No Milk Today."

I actually enjoy the Bonzo Dog Band's audio catalog slightly more than Monty Python's. But... the Holy Grail album is really funny. I love when they're at the premiere and all the celebrities are crashing into each other as they arrive. :lol::lol:

One of the first records I ever got was 'I'm into something good' by Hermans Hermits.

Peter Noon was great.

Che.

Right.  You've all made complete fools of yourselves now, eh?  I mean, it's obvious, isn't it?  I mean, how could the answer be anything other than Monty Python (The Flying CirrrCUS)?  Well... MAYBE The Dave Clark Five, but that's a close call.  I mean, "Glad all over" was better than any song by Monty Python, wasn't it?  Personally, I liked "Because" and "Can't you see that she's mine" even better... but I was only in the 3rd grade at the time.  Well lads, enjoy yourselves.  I'm off...  And DON'T anybody go mentioning Herman's Hermits.  Right.

One of the first records I ever got was 'I'm into something good' by Hermans Hermits.

Peter Noon was great.

Che.

I loved all those British Invasion bands. :tup

Peter Noon was great.

Che.

I loved all those British Invasion bands. :tup

I kinda grew up with them, and then you invaded us with The Monkees, The Doors, The Beech Boys etc etc

Che.