Best British Band

Guest che

Right.  You've all made complete fools of yourselves now, eh?  I mean, it's obvious, isn't it?  I mean, how could the answer be anything other than Monty Python (The Flying CirrrCUS)?  Well... MAYBE The Dave Clark Five, but that's a close call.  I mean, "Glad all over" was better than any song by Monty Python, wasn't it?  Personally, I liked "Because" and "Can't you see that she's mine" even better... but I was only in the 3rd grade at the time.  Well lads, enjoy yourselves.  I'm off...  And DON'T anybody go mentioning Herman's Hermits.  Right.

:lol:

Too bad Dave Clark hasn't done much to help the legacy of the DC5. Apart from the one compilation on Hollywood records in the '90s, have there been any reissues?

I liked Herman's Hermits when I was young. One of my early bands covered their tune, "No Milk Today."

I actually enjoy the Bonzo Dog Band's audio catalog slightly more than Monty Python's. But... the Holy Grail album is really funny. I love when they're at the premiere and all the celebrities are crashing into each other as they arrive. :lol::lol:

What about the Rutles? The pre-Fab Four were GREAT. I love their movie OUCH!

One of the first records I ever got was 'I'm into something good' by Hermans Hermits.

Peter Noon was great.

Che.

I loved all those British Invasion bands. :tup

I kinda grew up with them, and then you invaded us with The Monkees, The Doors, The Beech Boys etc etc

Che.

I'm all for fair trade. :lol:

One thing that is really interesting to me is the fact that the Beach Boys were the most popular band of 1966 in the UK, with their Pet Sounds album and Good Vibrations single. In America, the record was their LEAST successful to that point in time...

Hendrix didn't get successful in the US until he got credibility in England and THEN appeared at Monterey.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right.  You've all made complete fools of yourselves now, eh?  I mean, it's obvious, isn't it?  I mean, how could the answer be anything other than Monty Python (The Flying CirrrCUS)?  Well... MAYBE The Dave Clark Five, but that's a close call.  I mean, "Glad all over" was better than any song by Monty Python, wasn't it?  Personally, I liked "Because" and "Can't you see that she's mine" even better... but I was only in the 3rd grade at the time.  Well lads, enjoy yourselves.  I'm off...  And DON'T anybody go mentioning Herman's Hermits.  Right.

:lol:

Too bad Dave Clark hasn't done much to help the legacy of the DC5. Apart from the one compilation on Hollywood records in the '90s, have there been any reissues?

I liked Herman's Hermits when I was young. One of my early bands covered their tune, "No Milk Today."

I actually enjoy the Bonzo Dog Band's audio catalog slightly more than Monty Python's. But... the Holy Grail album is really funny. I love when they're at the premiere and all the celebrities are crashing into each other as they arrive. :lol::lol:

What about the Rutles? The pre-Fab Four were GREAT. I love their movie OUCH!

One of the first records I ever got was 'I'm into something good' by Hermans Hermits.

Peter Noon was great.

Che.

I loved all those British Invasion bands. :tup

I kinda grew up with them, and then you invaded us with The Monkees, The Doors, The Beech Boys etc etc

Che.

I'm all for fair trade. :lol:

One thing that is really interesting to me is the fact that the Beach Boys were the most popular band of 1966 in the UK, with their Pet Sounds album and Good Vibrations single. In America, the record was their LEAST successful to that point in time...

Hendrix didn't get successful in the US until he got credibility in England and THEN appeared at Monterey.

As the great Bob Dylan might say 'The times really have changed'.

Until recently many Brit bands saw success, in terms of how well they did in the States. In the 60's it was still the same, but many American artists saw success in the UK as their priority.

Now the is a counter-culture and groups like Radiohead, Oasis, Coldplay etc are actively saying we don't care about the market in the States.

Oh how the world turns.

Che.

Reading all this is making me want to hear Gerry & The Pacemakers, Chad & Jeremy, Freddie & The Dreamers... well, not Freddie & The Dreamers...

My mother liked Gerry and the Boys, I can hear her now singing 'I like it' and 'Ferry Cross the Mersey'. :)

Great stuff.

Che

Hey, I can go with the flow on this ...

Forget the Small Faces.

I vote for those fun-lovin' dudes who did Even The Bad Times Are Good, Suddenly You Love Me, Silence Is Gordon, Here Comes My Baby and so on. Post-Brian Poole, of course. Before then they were just another band.

And speaking of Here Comes My Baby, let's give it up for Cat Stevens, composer of some brill Brit pop (pre-pre-pre Oasis) hits - not just his own Matthew & Son or I'm Going To Get Me A Gun, but also The Boat That I Row (Lulu - funny how those two have diverged so widely in terms of politics).

And how about Crispian St Peters, a singer done in by the band fad? I've never heard his album, on which I believe a very young Jimmy Page plays, but Pied Piper and Your Were On My Mind are stone classics.

Edited by kenny weir

A debt of gratitude to the Brits they clued me into a lot of things that were going on musically in the US. Among my favorites:

The Rolling Stones

The Yardbirds

The Animals

Manfred Mann(early version)

John Mayall's Blues Breakers

Fleetwood Mac(during the Peter Green era)

Savoy Brown

Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation

Colosseum

Cream

The Pentangle

• 1 month later...