The Soprano Saxophone

Late

Speaking of Steve Lacy, his early recordings on Jaguar with the Dick Sutton band (reissued as "The Complete Jaguar Sessions") just left me speechless ...

Do those sessions overlap with the Whitey Mitchell sessions? (From memory, I think half the Mitchell "sessions" were actually led by Sutton.) At any rate, those are worth hearing, even if one's not particularly a Lacy fan. What blows me away is how (in less than a year?) Lacy went from this music to Cecil Taylor's group without even as much as a hiccup.

No, they don't. No Whitey Mitchell anywhere in the lineups of the two Sutton groups that produced those recordings. The bassist on both sessions is one Mark Trail, and no other Sutton recordings are known to discographers.

The Whitey Mitchell LP (his only one) on ABC Paramount was done about 2 years later.

The Fresh Sound 2-CD The Legendary Pioneer of Modern Soprano Sax has all the Sutton, Mitchell, & Tom Stewart (the actual leader of one of the two "Whitey Mitchell" sessions) material + the two Joe Puma-led cuts, also w/Whitey Mitchell. It's another one of those "hate to buy it from 'em, but where else you gonna get it?" Fresh Sounds issues.

Some cover images, fwiw:

c3578-2.jpgc3578-3.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Evan Parker is great. The circular breathing thing can be a bit much after a while, with that many notes coming at you, but what he is doing with it is quite something. To me, it sounds like he is continuing the tradition from Coltrane on both soprano and tenor.

A real joy is his multitracked effort, Time Lapse, on Tzadik. Odd label for that one to land on, but it leaves me breathless.

Guest Bill Barton

Adding two more to Evan, rounding out the finest three exponents in Britain: John Butcher and Steve Williamson. I'd include Lol Coxhill, but he almost exclusively plays sopranino these days.

Having heard Butcher for the first time in live performance recently, there's no question in my mind that he's one of the living masters of the soprano. There were times during the concert in Seattle (with bassist Torsten Muller and drummer Dylan van der Schyff, who are on the new Drip Audio CD Way Out Northwest) that I closed my eyes, marvelled at the sounds, then opened them to be completely mystified as to how he managed to coax those sounds out of a soprano saxophone. He brought a whole new level of meaning to the phrase "extended technique."

I'd consider Rahsaan Roland Kirk's Manzello a soprano sax. He was terrific on it...

:tup:tup:tup