cabarnet and Oscar Peterson

actually, I wasn't really acting the troll - apparently, the troll wants to evoke an angry, scattershot response. I want everyone to say: Allen, we see the light and do humbly agree with you.

Allen,

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

to EVERYTHING you say, I do this hail.gif

Oscar's version of "SAX NO END" on the "Exclusively .... " set always makes my friends trained in classical music from the UH music school sit up and take notice .... his rolling thunder just gets better and builds chorus after chorus ... it is a sight to behold! Of course, it is this incredible display of sheer technique (as well as swinging) that annoys many jazz fans who dispute the quality of Oscar's improvisations ... Allen is not the first astute jazz expert that I have encountered who finds dubious merit in O.P.'s playing ...

As a bragging aside ... when I finally sold all of my LPs ... I had 103 Oscar Peterson albums .. by far the most of any musician in my collection ... Ellington was second ... and trying to be a completist for both Art Farmer and Buddy DeFranco, these two followed ...

Oscar's version of "SAX NO END" on the "Exclusively .... " set always makes my friends trained in classical music from the UH music school sit up and take notice .... his rolling thunder just gets better and builds chorus after chorus ... it is a sight to behold! Of course, it is this incredible display of sheer technique (as well as swinging) that annoys many jazz fans who dispute the quality of Oscar's improvisations ...  Allen is not the first astute jazz expert that I have encountered who finds dubious merit in O.P.'s playing ...

As a bragging aside ... when I finally sold all of my LPs ... I had 103 Oscar Peterson albums .. by far the most of any musician in my collection ... Ellington was second ... and trying to be a completist for both Art Farmer and Buddy DeFranco, these two followed ...

and how many Kenny G's? (be honest, now) :g

No Kenny G's to be honest, but I did have a Lonnie Donegan on the Dot Label, and lots of George Shearing with strings on Capitol! This was "make-out" music from the 60s ....

I think that this will force me to do something I have wanted to initiate for some time .. a real "guilty pleasures" thread...

NOTE! I just started this thread in "Miscellaneous Music" ....

Edited by garthsj

No Kenny G's to be honest, but I did have a Lonnie Donegan on the Dot Label, and lots of George Shearing with strings on Capitol! This was "make-out" music from the 60s ....

I think that this will force me to do something I have wanted to initiate for some time .. a real "guilty pleasures" thread...

I would add Stan Freberg's version of the "Banana Boat" song.

Or that other tune, "The Great Pretender" (?) with "I ain't playin' that clink, clink, clink jazz no mo'." It's on that LP, I think. Haven't heard it since 80 something.

Cheers!

Stan Freberg's wonderfully funny (and accurate) takes on jazz musicians on many of his satires are worthy of a thread to itself .... as that frustrated pianist on "The Great Pretender" says ... "dig, like Garner, Shearing man!" .... or the equally frustrated jazz drummer on "The Yellow Rose of Texas" who keeps playing jazz breaks ... Very funny stuff even fifty years later ....

Edited by garthsj

Yep.

Absolutely.

I caught a couple of tunes on the on-board radio on a transatlantic flight to Venezuela in the 80s. Upon my return, my German record shop needed ages to actually get a copy (which was already quite warped when I got it because of the damn shrinkwrap) and I often played it. Of course, once you heard the tunes a few times, the "novelty" value quickly wore off. I later used it to entertain guests who actually knew the name. Most others didn't think it was funny.

I actually considered buying a CD compilation once (Rhino?), but thought I'd probably only play the stuff once.

Cheers!

My point of view is somehow similar to what deus62 said. I like OP but I don't like his Telarc stuff. I know many people love the "Blue Note" box (my father included) but still...

A big part of OP's charm is his power and swing. Seems to me he lost it on the Telarc albums. There are much better things he did almost in any other phase of his career.