Viva Prog Rock

Aggie87

Per David Gilmour's blog (here), there's a live album coming out in September, "Live at Gdansk".

live_album.jpg

Here's where the fun begins though - it comes as either a 2, 3, 4, or 5 disc set. :excited::blink:

The straight 2 disc set is the live show itself. 3rd disc is a DVD of the show. 4th disc is a 5.1 surround mix of "On an Island". The 5th disc will be 12 bonus live tracks from the tour.

I guess we all get to decide just how much DG we want here.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Per David Gilmour's blog (here), there's a live album coming out in September, "Live at Gdansk".

live_album.jpg

Here's where the fun begins though - it comes as either a 2, 3, 4, or 5 disc set. :excited::blink:

The straight 2 disc set is the live show itself. 3rd disc is a DVD of the show. 4th disc is a 5.1 surround mix of "On an Island". The 5th disc will be 12 bonus live tracks from the tour.

I guess we all get to decide just how much DG we want here.

I imagine another punk revolution is about due!

Well, despite many opinions to the contrary...it's Gilmour that I listen to Floyd for. He's one of my all-time favorite lead guitarist, lyricism to the extreme (due to him singing his solos into a recorder and then re-learning them on guitar)...I'll definitely be picking this one up (at least the version with the DVD).

Well, despite many opinions to the contrary...it's Gilmour that I listen to Floyd for. He's one of my all-time favorite lead guitarist, lyricism to the extreme.

I'm the same with PF up to 'Wish You Were Here' - Gilmour's guitar is a beauteous thing - I've always felt he's been shortchanged by the exaggerated cult of Barrett.

I find the PF and PF related music from the 80s onwards difficult to appreciate. Too much plodding beat. There was an airborne, spaciousness about them in the 60s/70s that seemed to get destroyed by the need to shape music to stadiums. But that seems to be a problem for most of the bands/musicians of that era when it got to the 80s.

I was listening today to a compilation of Harvest label bands from the 60s/70s:

51d1xurnZWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Even the most lumpen blues rockers seemed to have a bit of lift about them. When did it become so vital to put a standard beat so far in the foreground?

Even the most lumpen blues rockers seemed to have a bit of lift about them. When did it become so vital to put a standard beat so far in the foreground?

About the time disco got popular. :rfr

But most of these bands hated disco! Most hated punk...though a fair few learnt to express an admiration for it in the hope that it might just save them from being marched off to the countryside for re-education.

Bill Bruford has commented that large stadiums lose any subtly in the drums; if you're not careful with all the reverb it gets hard for the other musicians to follow. The only thing you can do is is thump out the beat as steadily as possible.

I have a feeling the culprit lies there.

I would think the last thing you would want to do in a large room is bang on a large bass drum, too boomy.

It's just a production value. Sounds great on a great sound system.

"You feel the drum in your pelvis and you want to move."

WD45, I recently discovered The Mars Volta and am enjoying the new one "Bedlam in Goliath" (actually I picked it up after seeing the album art and listening to a few samples) as well as "Frances the Mute" - I just ordered the remaining studio albums (from yourmusic) and d/l the "tremulant" ep from emusic.

The music is very interesting and the lyrics (like any good prog rock) are indecipherable. I know they have their detractors, but I find them very intriguing.

Frances the Mute is one of my favorites of theirs. It is a tough pick between that one and the most recent one. The only thing is that they sound a little compressed on this new record. I would have liked a little more air around things.

I would think the last thing you would want to do in a large room is bang on a large bass drum, too boomy.

That's one of the things I find so unattractive about the sound of rock records from about the mid-70s on. The drums sound like they were recorded in an aircraft hanger!

It's just a production value. Sounds great on a great sound system.

"You feel the drum in your pelvis and you want to move."

I'm clearly a gentler soul - prefer something more pastoral!

• 1 month later...

Can't believe I have never posted on this thread before, but there's always a first time!

I was a big prog rock fan between 1977-1984. Recently, I sold off or gave away all my LPs before I left the States in 1984, and have only now begun to buy back some of my favorite prog rock stuff on cd format. I'm still missing tons of the old stuff, but here are my current favorites. Some of the bands might not be considered prog, but they've got prog elements:

Camel

Rain Dance

(used to have Snow Goose in the old days but don't care as much for that one.)

Pink Floyd

Animals

Wish You Were Here

Dark Side

Yes

Yes Album

Close to theEdge

Yes Songs

Genesis

Foxtrot

Selling England By the Pound (my favorite Genesis)

Lamb Lies Down

Trick of the Tail

King Crimson

Lizard

missing a ton of KC here. Used to have all the albums chronologically up to Discipline.

UK

UK (really dig this one--an old favorite.)

Rush

2112 (lots of proggy moments)

Jethro Tull

Stand Up

Benefit

Aqualung

ok, some proggy and pastoral moments in their music, but they're not quite a prog band.

Renaissance

Scheherazade

Turn of the Cards

Ashes are Burning

Still missing a ton here as well. If you guys aren't familiar with this wonderful band, then you've got a treat ahead of you. These guys might be my favorite prog rock band of all time.

ELP

Haven't bought any cds yet. Used to have a ton of these guys but I find that their music doesn't hold up for me as it used to.

I've really got to beef up my Crimson collection.

51GMiDXTkpL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

For Tull fans there is now a 40th (!) anniversary edition of This Was...

Disc 1

Original Mono Remastered

My Sunday Feeling

Some Day The Sun Won't Shine For You

Beggar's Farm

Move On Alone

Serenade To A Cuckoo

Dharma For One

It's Breaking Me Up

Cat's Squirrel

A Song For Jeffrey

Round

BBC Sessions

So Much Trouble

My Sunday Feeling

Serenade To A Cuckoo

Cat's Squirrel

A Song For Jeffrey

Love Story

Stormy Monday

Beggars Farm

Dharma For One

Disc 2

New Stereo Mix

My Sunday Feeling

Some Day The Sun Won't Shine

Beggars Farm

Move On Alone

Serenade To A Cuckoo

Dharma For One

It's Breaking Me Up

Cat's Squirrel

A Song For Jeffrey

Round

Additional New Stereo Mix

Love Story

Christmas Song

Original Mono Remastered

Sunshine Day

One For John Gee

Love Story

Christmas Song

Edited by Shawn

• 2 weeks later...

from the What are you listening to thread:

U.K.

El Mocambo Club

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

June 27, 1978

Allan Holdsworth- guitar

Eddie Jobson- keyboards and violin

John Wetton- bass and vocals

Bill Bruford- drums and percussion

There's a band that I've NEVER heard...surprising considering I like every single person involved...

You should!

There are three albums, after the 1st, Bruford and Holdsworth left and Bozzio joined. That first album is the best, one of the last classic progrock albums at the end of the '70s. This one here seems to be a radio broadcast....yum-yum.

Edited by 7/4

checking out:

King Crimson

Keswick Theater

Glenside, Pennsylvania,USA

Monday, August 11th 2008

How does this lineup sound/mesh?

I listened to about half of it. I don't know...there's a lot of percussion! I have to listen to it again.

I'll try to give you an update here, later.

Here's the set list:

01 Drum Duo

02 ConstruKction Of Light

03 Red

04 Frame By Frame

05 Neurotica

06 Three of a Perfect Pair

07 The Talking Drum

08 Larks Tongues In Aspic II

09 One Time

10 Drum Duo

11 Dinosaur

12 Level Five

13 Sleepless

14 VROOM

15 Coda: Marine 475

16 Soundscape

17 Drum Duo

18 Thela Hun Ginjeet

19 Elephant Talk

20 Indiscipline

I would just like to say that the drum sound on Selling England By The Pound by Genesis is frickin' awesome. It's a great album anyway, but the drums are recorded beautifully on that record. That's a golden plateau for drum sounds, as far as I'm concerned.

It is, it is.

Great album too, it's been a while since I've heard it... :tup