How do you catch a cat?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok.........here's a tip from my better half...who is a vet surgery tech. She said a live trap is the way to go but takes time. Put some meat (as cats are carnavores) outside of the trap. Then move the "treat" a little closer and then move it to the back of the cage. She said this will probably catch the first one but the second one will probably be a little harder or at the very least take more time. If this doesn't work, you're on your own!

I see no one has mentioned cheese but you could try that also!

m-

Chocolate - preferably Hershey's

scottb - I don't know if you were kidding, but you should NEVER give chocolate to cats or dogs. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is particularly toxic to dogs and can be fatal. Although chocolate is equally bad for cats, they're more finicky and often won't eat it. If your cat eats chocolate, treat the situation as life threatening. Cats are small and it takes less chocolate to kill them.

Hardbopjazz - have you or your co-workers contacted the local animal control officer or humane society? Even when using a "have-a-heart" trap, the experience of being trapped could possibly cause an animal to go into shock. I used to volunteer at the local animal shelter and saw it happen several times. As an animal lover, I applaud your sensitivity and your efforts. I just hope it's done right. Good luck.

Reminds me of a true story of a few years back.

The neighboring street behind me has a garage that's on the rear lot line of where I live. There's a tall, dead tree that rises close to the back corner of the garage. A stray cat managed to climb the tree and get itself on to the roof of the very tall garage but then found that it didn't have the cat brains on how to climb down the tree.

Day one passes with the cat pacing along the roof, looking over the edge, looking at the tree and attempting to go down as it come up. No luck.

Day two arrives with more of the same and now incessant meows of alarm. I place a ladder to the top of the garage roof and try to coax the cat near enough to me so that maybe I can grab it. (The though crossed my mind that this might be a good way to get my eyes scratched out.) The cat won't come anywhere near me.

Day three arrives and after the loss of much sleep (worry and the darned meowing right outside my bedroom window!), I gather some scrap lumber and nail to the dead tree a series of step-like platforms leading from the top of the tree near the garage roof line to what I considered a safe jumping distance to the ground for a cat.

After some effort -- and no doubt looking like an idiot to my otherwise UNCARING neighbors -- I then proceed to most likely make a greater fool of myself by explaining to the cat -- in English, as I don't speak cat -- that s/he can now get down from the roof using the steps.

I remove the ladder, return to my apartment, set a chair by a window and wait.

Within one hour, the cat, seeming to understand what I was up to, found the stairs and made its way, one step at a time, down the tree, finally jumping safely to the ground.

I smiled.

And then ate some cheese.

Reminds me of a true story of a few years back.

The neighboring street behind me has a garage that's on the rear lot line of where I live. There's a tall, dead tree that rises close to the back corner of the garage. A stray cat managed to climb the tree and get itself on to the roof of the very tall garage but then found that it didn't have the cat brains on how to climb down the tree.

Day one passes with the cat pacing along the roof, looking over the edge, looking at the tree and attempting to go down as it come up. No luck.

Day two arrives with more of the same and now incessant meows of alarm. I place a ladder to the top of the garage roof and try to coax the cat near enough to me so that maybe I can grab it. (The though crossed my mind that this might be a good way to get my eyes scratched out.) The cat won't come anywhere near me.

Day three arrives and after the loss of much sleep (worry and the darned meowing right outside my bedroom window!), I gather some scrap lumber and nail to the dead tree a series of step-like platforms leading from the top of the tree near the garage roof line to what I considered a safe jumping distance to the ground for a cat.

After some effort -- and no doubt looking like an idiot to my otherwise UNCARING neighbors -- I then proceed to most likely make a greater fool of myself by explaining to the cat -- in English, as I don't speak cat -- that s/he can now get down from the roof using the steps.

I remove the ladder, return to my apartment, set a chair by a window and wait.

Within one hour, the cat, seeming to understand what I was up to, found the stairs and made its way, one step at a time, down the tree, finally jumping safely to the ground.

I smiled.

And then ate some cheese.

:tup:tup:tup:tup

scottb - I don't know if you were kidding, but you should NEVER give chocolate to cats or dogs. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is particularly toxic to dogs and can be fatal. Although chocolate is equally bad for cats, they're more finicky and often won't eat it. If your cat eats chocolate, treat the situation as life threatening. Cats are small and it takes less chocolate to kill them.

Oh crap! I had heard that before but obviously forgot. Sorry little kitty.

Mice on the other hand LOVE Chocolate and can easily be trapped with it.

Edited by scottb

just don't feed your chocolate-engorged mouse to a cat or dog! ^_^

for dog-owners that feel guilty about denying their dog chocolate, there are many treats made of carob, such as the collie-eclair below.

collieeclairs.jpg

P.S. my cat Nica, who turned 14 a few days ago, LOVES cheese...and ham...and spaghetti sauce...and butter...and cold cuts...and roast pork yaka mein soup...and pretty much everything else that's edible in the apartment. And of course, she really digs jazz.

Edited by jazzshrink

just don't feed your chocolate-engorged mouse to a cat or dog! ^_^

for dog-owners that feel guilty about denying their dog chocolate, there are many treats made of carob, such as the collie-eclair below.

collieeclairs.jpg

P.S. my cat Nica, who turned 14 a few days ago, LOVES cheese...and ham...and spaghetti sauce...and butter...and cold cuts...and roast pork yaka mein soup...and pretty much everything else that's edible in the apartment. And of course, she really digs jazz.

Yeah, I give my Chihuahua little imitation chocolate kisses.

But, I give her only REAL cheese. ;)

I don't know if it will help in catching the kittens but many cats who live outside love polysterene packing boxes. I'm pretty sure they would go inside and at least it would protect them from the cold. There is also a kind of stick that cats are crazy about, apparently chewing or even licking it gets them really stoned really quickly, even lions and tigers can't resist resist it. Ask your pet shop. Some food and a stick or two inside a polysterene case should do the trick.

Dave

Tuna, even the suggestion of the possibility of tuna, used to bring both my cats at a gallop. To clarify, even an EMPTY tuna can, placed on the floor would have them battling over which one got to lick it so vigorously that it would travel all over the kitchen. WARNING. If you don't get the can off the kitchen counter immediately, you'll have the cats on the counter. :blink:

To be fair, cheese works too and, in my cats' case, CANTELOUPE!!

Edited by patricia