Mosaic Selects for $11?

John B

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I emailed customer service to see how one modifies their order. If I get any info I'll pass it along.

I've done the same.

I just looked at the customer comments on public eye a couple of minutes ago. They get a middling report. Some people are very happy, some real ticked off but no reports of credit card theft. Hopefully, that's the case.

Edited by Brad

Ah well, human nature strikes again. I did order the Brookmeyer and will let you know if it shows up. Mosaic has got a lot of my other money, and I wouldn't have paid $36+ for the Select, since I already have some of the albums on it.

VH1 has the Brookmeyer for $36.20 with free shipping.

http://vh1shop.vh1.com/product.aspx?sku=63...&search_store=6

Periodically I've called the customer service number they have listed. Like a couple customer comments on public eye......just got a busy signal. Maybe it's outsourcing problems....but if no one responds I don't comfortable volunteering my cc information.

Odd, though, that the Jack Johnson has a $55 price.

Ah well, human nature strikes again.  I did order the Brookmeyer and will let you know if it shows up.  Mosaic has got a lot of my other money, and I wouldn't have paid $36+ for the Select, since I already have some of the albums on it.

VH1 has the Brookmeyer for $36.20 with free shipping.

http://vh1shop.vh1.com/product.aspx?sku=63...&search_store=6

Thanks! Just ordered it. :tup

The company is Malaysian, so that may be a clue...though I couldn't for the life of me fathom why the Malaysian CD pirates would bother with copying Mosaic Selects!

I think that's the answer right there. They are pirated copies.

Yes, they would do that in SE Asia. They would do it in a heartbeat.

I doubt they're pirated copies. The company may be Malaysian, but isn't the company (its U.S. arm at least) in Delaware?

I'd bet this is just a pricing mistake, with them not realizing that it's a 3-CD set they're selling.

Whether we get these or not will likely depend on whether some wonk in the warehouse realizes the pricing error and/or cares enough to correct it in the computers.

After thinking about this, my feeling is you get what you pay for. If you try to get something cheap, that's what you'll get in quality. If these ever get through, I will be tossing them as I suspect they're frauds. There's not much money lost here (hopefully) and it will reinforce the old but time tested saying: you get what you pay for.

Has anybody brought this to Mosaic's attention?

The question: does it seem like a lot of work/hassle/worry to you?

Yes.

I'd much rather buy the merchandise directly from Mosaic. I'd rather spend the larger number of dollars for my peace of mind. To know I can return the product and/or obtain assistance from Mosaic if things aren't what were expected.

The Mosaic Select on their site have been at $11 for at least 6 months now because I remember seeing a bunch of them for the same price on that site last summer. After doing a little bit of research and noting that it is a Malaysian company I managed to dig up a bunch of very negative reviews on Google. I'm sure if it were a pricing mistake they would have changed by now so I can only assume that they are either pirated copies or some sort of credit card scam.

Did any of those negative comments mention pirate copies? Just curious...

To tell you the truth, I don't particularly remember reading anything about the items being pirated or not. I think what put me off were a bunch of the comments said that they didn't receive their items/it took six months and then the few positive feedbacks were so over the top that they raised suspicion.

The company is Malaysian, so that may be a clue...though I couldn't for the life of me fathom why the Malaysian CD pirates would bother with copying Mosaic Selects!

Yes, but they have a Dover Delaware address which makes them vulnerable to prosecution if they are a Pirate operation.

It's impossible for U S copyright holders to get their arms around and prosecute the Foreign operators who, legal in their own countries, are actually illegally shipping into thr States.

Chuck Nessa at one time covered the dilemma very well on the BNBB.

Actually, CD piracy is illegal in Malaysia, just as it is in most every other country. There's just some, shall we say, "inefficient" enforcement of the law in this regard. I met a 21-year-old kid there who was basically running his own DVD mafia, paying off customs officers and keeping a truck with all the merchandise waiting at the bottom of the mall where his store was, ready to split if the cops showed up.

What I don't understand is why they would bother to pirate specialty items like Mosaic sets, which don't sell more than a few thousand copies anyway. It makes no sense and I would be surprised if they were even aware of the demand.