God, Keanu Reeves is horrible...

When I mention how bad he is usually at least someone there defends him.

Damn...I didn't get here quick enough; looks like I'm stuck with the job.

I think his greatest strength is his wide range of facial expressions, with which he can display an incredible variety of emotions ranging from "confused" to "stupified". His "puzzled" is particularly good, though his "unsure" admittedly needs a bit of work. But all is forgiven when he unfurls his prize-winning "what the fuck".

The title of the thread says it all.

I can't take five minutes of the guy without getting pissed off.

I don't think much of Nicolas Cage, but even he looks like Brando compared to Reeves.

AARGH! I despise Nicholas Cage!!!! The only good movie he's ever done is Raising Arizona. Again, because his character is a moron, which is the only facial expression he can convey.

:angry:

Before I say this, let me make it clear that I'm no Keanu Reeves fan. I think he pretty much sucks as an actor. That said.....

Has anyone here seen Sam Raimi's "The Gift"? It stars Cate Blanchett (whose been my favorite actress for years) and is a really well done, creepy supernatural thriller. Keanu has a small role as a redneck accused of killing a local debutante. I must say that he did pull this role off, as he is genuinely creepy in several of his scenes. This is probably his high water mark as an actor.

That said, its the only role he's ever taken that has convinced me.

Yes, he stinks.  The only time I thought he was okay was in "Leaving Minnesota".

Keanu Reeves is "Ted" (Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey) ! He should've left it at that!

EDIT: To quote Jazzmoose: "Damn, I should have read further -- you guys (Ron S, Big Al, B3-er) are onto him!"

Edited by maren

Let's take it to the little screeen as well.

My top 3 worst TV actors (don't know their real names)

The father from ALF

Little sister Dee from WHAT'S HAPPENIN'

Sabrina the teenage witch.

Never watched WHAT'S HAPPENIN'

Agree about Sabrina (Melissa Joan Hart?)

But the father from ALF? Max Wright? I think he's great!!! His voice is totally annoying (I always thought SNL should get him to play Sen. Joe Lieberman -- they are aural dead ringers -- whine for whine!) so he needs to be in a sharper setting than ALF was -- did anybody ever see a very short-lived NBC sitcom called "Buffalo Bill" ??? 1983. Ahead of its time. Too biting for network TV. Dabney Coleman as a local TV star you love to hate, Max Wright as his terrified, cringing "boss" -- plus Joanna Gleason and a very young Geena Davis. Anyway, loved Max Wright in that, so I have a soft spot for him.

The fact that people keep putting him in movies is beyond me.

The simple fact is that he can open a movie. Can't fathom why, but the dude's successful - people (kids?) seem to really want to see anything that he's in. And that's gold in H'wood.

And Sal, you're right about The Gift. The thing is, Keanu can actually be good (or at least "not bad" if he really wants and/or needs to be. Usually in smaller roles, when the pressure's not on him to carry a film.

He's kinda like Stallone, who was a joke for so many years then really put together a fine performance in Copland.

AARGH! I despise Nicholas Cage!!!! The only good movie he's ever done is Raising Arizona.

I must beg to differ. "Adaptation" is one of the best movies of recent years. Of course, its mainly the screenplay and the direction that make it such an important work, but Nick Cage gives a fantastic performance as Charlie/Donald Kaufman. He deserved his Oscar nomination for that one.

He was fine in the first Matrix, but by the end of the 3rd movie I was rooting for destruction of the earth.

My vote for worst Keanu Reeves performance has to be "Much Ado About Nothing". What on earth was Kenneth Branaugh thinking?

I always give Reeves performance in this movie as an example of how not to do Shakespeare.

Everything he says sounds just like "This is what the teleprompter says."

--eric

Has anyone here seen Sam Raimi's "The Gift"? It stars Cate Blanchett (whose been my favorite actress for years) and is a really well done, creepy supernatural thriller. Keanu has a small role as a redneck accused of killing a local debutante. I must say that he did pull this role off, as he is genuinely creepy in several of his scenes. This is probably his high water mark as an actor.

I'll go along with you there. And I definitely agree about Cate Blanchett. Fantastic actress!

He was fine in the first Matrix, but by the end of the 3rd movie I was rooting for destruction of the earth.

My vote for worst Keanu Reeves performance has to be "Much Ado About Nothing".  What on earth was Kenneth Branaugh thinking?

I always give Reeves performance in this movie as an example of how not to do Shakespeare.

Everything he says sounds just like "This is what the teleprompter says."

--eric

I thought that was part of the idea. The whole movie was just a play, wasn't it?

Anyone ever see "River's Edge"? It's hard to imagine the Keanu Reeves in that movie turned into what he is now ...

You beat me to the punch. River's Edge was good. I always wondered what made Thek weed so special...

Beat me to the punch as well... the one film in which I've liked him. And Crispin Glover... Mr. Slayer!! :lol:

Edited by ghost of miles