if you were me.... and

got a $100 Mosaic gift card.. what would buy?

My choices are...

A) Cough up another $50 and get the Sonny Stitt

B) Get the Tal Farlow or Roy Eldridge (I have a few single Farlow discs and a Proper boxed set of Eldridge)

C) the columbia swing sessions

D) the Art Pepper and Andrew Hill select set...

Also got a question... I just got the Johnny Smith set... how does his and Farlow's playing differ???

thanks

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

option d--- art pepper is my favorite sax man. the unissued hill blue note sessions are a once in a lifetime release,probably never to see the light of day again. if you have any intrest in andrew hill, i would pick this up now. the sessions may be uneven, but definitely worth a listen.

Edited by mike casinghino

Option F--send ME the gift card.

:lol::lol:

The way I look at it is this, get the set now that will be the hardest to buy later.

My choices:

A) If coming up with $150 bucks is difficult, then I'd say get the Stitt set now because you're 2/3 of the way there with your gift card. That's only if you really want the Stitt set. If you're not sure about it, then I'd listen to more Stitt from that era so you'll know what you're getting.

B) Both the Farlow and the Eldridge will be very good, but they should be around for a while. Plus, you will need to cough up another $25 or so for these w/shipping. I have the Johnny Smith set also, but I wish I had the Farlow instead. I know I need to give it a chance, but it hasn't knocked my socks off.

C) The Columbia Swing Sessions are new, so they'll be around for a while, but I bet that's a really good set. You'll have to cough up another $40 or so for this also.

D) The Selects. My personal top priority Mosaic set right now is the Andrew Hill Select, only because I've been waiting a long time to hear this music. One advantage of the Selects is their lower price. It's much easier to come up with $50 to order a Select (especially if it starts to run low). I also believe they will sell out much quicker because of their lower price. Fortunately, these are new sets so they'll be around a while.

F) Don't send him the gift card, send it to me instead. :P:lol:

So...

If you really really really really want the Stitt, I'd say the answer would be A.

If not,

I'd go with option B or C - I'd get the Farlow or the Columbia set.

I know, I'm no help. :lol::P

I know, I'm no help.  :lol:  :P

You forgot to mention the Jim Nabors set. :blink: Especially the 3 discs of alternate takes of "Gawwwwwlee!" and "Shazam!" :wacko:

:lol::lol::lol:

It brought tears to my eyes and it brought up my lunch.

SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE!

I low-keyed (new word) my response to those covers in the other thread, but I get hysterical every time I look at them. Think there's a "Complete Lawrence Welk RCA Sessions" in the offing?

Well, I certainly like the Farlow, though I like the recent Farmer/Golson Jazztet even more (not on your list). They should both be around for a while. With $50 I might be inclined to go for one of the earlier Selects like Curtis Amy or Randy Weston. Or Randy Weston and Andrew Hill.

hmmmm....

thanks for the tremendous input.... I greatly appreciate it...

I pulled out some of the Sonny Stitt and Tal Farlow I have and gave them both a listen... I'm leaning toward the Farlow...

any other suggestions????????????? (Except Gomer Pyle type ideas :(((((((((

The Gomer Pyle was a joke I posted last night in the Mosaic thread. Sorry to hijack this one. Ron, I'll see about that Welk set. ;)

I don't know where your Mosaic collection stands, but do you have all the older sets (the ones that have been available the longest) that you want?

There are a lot of older sets that I consider essential that are probably close to extinction.

187-MD-CD: HRS Sessions

181-MD-CD: Hank Mobley

170-MD-CD: Capitol Jazz

169-MD-CD: J.J. Johnson

These would be the sets I'd consider first, if you haven't already.

Good luck!

I know, I'm no help.  :lol:  :P

You forgot to mention the Jim Nabors set. :blink: Especially the 3 discs of alternate takes of "Gawwwwwlee!" and "Shazam!" :wacko:

:lol::lol::lol:

It brought tears to my eyes and it brought up my lunch.

SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE!

I low-keyed (new word) my response to those covers in the other thread, but I get hysterical every time I look at them. Think there's a "Complete Lawrence Welk RCA Sessions" in the offing?

Lawrence Welk and swing. Now THAT belongs in the oxymoron thread.