What does everybody collect besides music?

Books -- but I don't collect them for their value, rarity, etc. I tell myself that I'm asembling a private library, to be used when needed to sustain a train of thought that I couldn't keep going in the right direction otherwise, and sometimes it does work that way. At least that's what I tell myself -- my wife thinks otherwise.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm beginning to think that I really should have been a graphic designer.  I just can't get enough of that stuff....  :tup

I'm a graphic designer and I wish I had your job. :lol::lol:

This field is pretty saturated right now.

I know. My younger brother is feeling the hurt. :(

Edited by Brandon Burke

Main collecting thing now is used Danish stamps and covers (envelopes, if you aren't familiar with the term).

Me too.

Don't collect covers but Presentation Packs.

Have a complete collection of Christmas stamps as well (full sheets only).

My most rare/prized possession: A "yearbook" (first one, if it can be called that at all) from Greenland (60s, as far as I recall without looking). It's actually a small plastic envelope containing all the stamps of the year, sealed by the postal authorities. I've never opened it and don't dare to either. It's such a small jam-packed envelope that I'm afraid the stamps might be sticking together.

Lots of unique items in my Danish collection. My wife's dad had collected extensively since the early 50s. I also "inherited" an extensive collection of Swedish and Norwegian stamps.

I stopped collecting all but the Presentation Packs because I needed my money for other things.

Antique telephones- mostly Western Electric (some Automatic Electric and Kellogg).....candlesticks, 102s, 202s, 302s, 500s (in all the different colors c. 1960) wall phones, subsets........ Il clean and rewire them- and use them periodically.

Anyone else collect telephones?

Oh, and DVDs. Never collected movies on VHS in particular, but DVD has become a form of cinematic crack for me... :ph34r:

If I were rich, like you :ph34r: I would have a huge honkin' collection of classic films on DVD. I do have quite the collection(Taped off TV) of 30's, and 40's films deteriorating quite nicely on beta and VHS .

I used to collect coins when I was a kid, but once silver went to 50 bucks an ounce in 80/81, that put an end to it......

I collect science fiction novels, though that's tapered off in the last few years. The part of the collection that I am proudest of is a complete set of first paperback editions of Philip K. Dick's SF novels and first hardcovers of his mainstream novels.

Along with my daughters, apparently I collect My Little Ponies and Barbies.

My oldest is only 5 and I kid you not we have 30+ Barbies. I didn't think the Barbie stage came until later. If this isn't the Barbie stage yet, we're gonna be in trouble when it gets here.

you gotta love SPARKLEWORKS!

My young girls (3 and 5) are way into the ponies ... especially those with the magnets implanted in their hooves ... my daughters stick them all over the fridge!

Oh, and DVDs.  Never collected movies on VHS in particular, but DVD has become a form of cinematic crack for me...  :ph34r:

If I were rich, like you :ph34r: I would have a huge honkin' collection of classic films on DVD. I do have quite the collection(Taped off TV) of 30's, and 40's films deteriorating quite nicely on beta and VHS .

Rich?? :blink: I'm just a hardworkin' double-jobbin' slob like yerself! If my wife & I ever decide to have children, my freespending habits will spiral downward even faster...

I'd love to see an old 1939 movie called FIVE CAME BACK show up on DVD. It was written by Dalton Trumbo and Nathanael West, among others, about a plane going down in a jungle... kind of a class-conflict/survival tale, with Lucille Ball as one of the passengers. Truly an obscurity, although my dad claims to have it on VHS in his own huge honkin' basement collection of flicks taped off the tube.

I'm beginning to think that I really should have been a graphic designer.  I just can't get enough of that stuff....  :tup

I'm a graphic designer and I wish I had your job. :lol::lol:

This field is pretty saturated right now.

I know. My younger brother is feeling the hurt. :(

I hope he finds something soon. :tup

I needed a vacation anyway. :g

In truth, the jobs are out there, but there's always someone who will work for much less. I realize the best way to be successful is to do the best work possible and to keep learning all the time.

Do you know of any websites that have cool examples of graphic design. I really dig those Mexico '68 posters and would like to see more like them.

Do you know of any websites that have cool examples of graphic design. I really dig those Mexico '68 posters and would like to see more like them.

Do you check Turntable Lab on a regular basis? It's a shop in NYC that sells mostly hip hop records and DJ equipment. But, like any good old schooler, they've got a hand in design as well.

Go to [books/mags/design shop] in the pull-down menu and check out the books and prints. They have detail pics of each book as well--at least a few pages, just to give you an idea what's inside. Cool stuff and (like me) they're all about Swiss School. I get my brother a couple of books from these guys every holiday season.

These in particular are very good:

buro2.jpg

Buro Destruct II

ego.jpg

Ego: The Difference Between Telling and Selling Book

loslogos.jpg

Los Logos

Edited by Brandon Burke

The shocker of all shockers is that I collect beer glasses from europe. I'm up in the 200 range or so but fast running out of shelf space. The gold-rimmed glasses are the ones I'm usually interested in but they're not as plentiful as they once were. I've been known to trade jazz cds in exchange for nice gold-rimmed ones that I don't have. ;) PM if interested. B-)

DVD's, classics and film noir are my preference but newer stuff is covered too.

Up to about 600 or so but have a l o n g way to go to catch up with the cds which have now spilled over to my office as we ran out of storage space at home( small Japanese condo). Crime paperbacks and WW2 books are also a milder obsession.