Spanish Blues Notes

BbM7

and they seem to be simplistic transfers of the japanese works series (which most folks refer to as the TOCJ series)...

Not all are TOCJs, maybe half of them are McMaster transfers. I think there was a list of the TOCJs among the spanish Blue Notes in an earlier thread.

The Curtis Fuller Vol.3 sounds great indeed.

Edited by Claude

you're right, it's not the best adjective to describe the fact that blue note licensed these titles to time-life for a limited time to be sold only in europe. the fact that distributors have violated that agreement and made them available to retailers in the u.s. makes them, shall we say, illicit? regardless, they're a guilty pleasure that many of us here have enjoyed. B-)

I agree with everything said. I reluctantly purchased one of the Leo Parkers, knowing that I'd probably never have another opportunity. (By the way, I purchased mine in a basement record store in Downtown Madrid about two years ago.) Today's discussion of the situation regarding sale in the US was news to me, not that I didn't suspect...

Regarding the issue of "legitimacy" I have to agree with this post from the earlier thread:

"I'm with Rooster here - EMI is making their money on the sales of these through the licensing agreement with Time-Life, so screw 'em. If they want to garner profits from US sales, then release 'em in the US. If Time Life felt they could market these successfully as some sort of club then why doesn't Blue Note or Mosaic do the same thing right here in the good old USA. Many on the board have been saying that for years.... I can tell you that if BN or Mosaic had the vision to create such a marketing plan then the sales would have been theirs - not Freshsounds."

Regarding the issue of "legitimacy" I have to agree with this post from the earlier thread:

"I'm with Rooster here - EMI is making their money on the sales of these through the licensing agreement with Time-Life, so screw 'em. If they want to garner profits from US sales, then release 'em in the US. If Time Life felt they could market these successfully as some sort of club then why doesn't Blue Note or Mosaic do the same thing right here in the good old USA. Many on the board have been saying that for years.... I can tell you that if BN or Mosaic had the vision to create such a marketing plan then the sales would have been theirs - not Freshsounds."

Yep, agreed. My copies of Think, Detroit/NY Junction, Cliff Jordan and a few others are ugly as all get-out. But they sound sweet, and I couldn't by 'em as domestic product.

Having said that, I plan to replace my True Blue when the RVG is available...

I've yet to buy any of those Spanish BNs. I already have whatever they put out and the colors they use for their covers hurt my eyes and my memories of the original BN covers colors!

brownie - you kill me! so french. and so very very true!

acclamations à vous ami,

-e-

It's often the sound of remasters that's giving me headaches, but in this case it's the color... Yuk! ;)