The Columbia Reissue Program

Late

Up from the depths.

The recent Brubeck/Columbia thread got me thinking about Columbia reissues in general. We get Connoisseurs from Blue Note at least once a year ... but how long does it take Columbia to reissue individual titles from their vaults?

Since this thread was originally started, we have seen, among many others, Woody Shaw's Stepping Stones and Mulligan's Jeru. Yeah!

But what is still lurking in the vaults?

I see that Fresh Sounds has gotten around to Something New, Something Blue as well as to some of Teo Macero's 50's work. I would much rather purchase these titles as a Columbia product ... but am getting tempted by Mr. Pujol's offerings.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These releases on Columbia/Legacy are listed on Jazzmatazz(to fall 2006):

Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame & Mahavishnu Orchestra: Live in Cleveland 1972 - 2 CDs (Columbia/Legacy)

Tony Bennett - Live At The Sahara: The Moment Of Truth (Columbia/Legacy)

Tony Bennett - When Lights Are Low (Columbia/Legacy)

Preservation Hall Jazz Band - Volumes 1 & 2 - 2-CD set (Columbia/Legacy)

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness and Eternity (Columbia/Legacy)

Duke Ellington - A Drum is a Woman (Columbia/Legacy) 2005?

- Jostein

Joann Brackeen's great albums for Tappan Zee

Frustration Item #27843 -

I have an LP of Keying In, near mint, that I don't hardly ever play because it's a trio session and Brackeen's playing by itself doesn't engage me enough to sit through an entire trio album. She sounds nervous to me, like she's wiggling on the piano bench because she's gotta go pee, but can't because the tape's running.

I have a cassette copy of Ancient Dynasty that I can no longer play because I wore it out in my car's cheap-ass tape player listening to all the Joe Henderson solos . That was one of his finer dates from those days.

I see used copies of Keying In fairly often, but never of Ancient Dynasty. I can have what I don't want, but I can't have what I do want. Is this fair? Is this America?

I wrote my congressman, and he said, quote - "I'd like to help you son, but you're too young to vote."

Sometimes I wonder what I'm gonna do.

Edited by JSngry

• 2 years later...

Side one of What's New ? has already been reissued twice ( once on Macero's own label , and once by Stash ) , leaving the five Bob Prince compositions on side two as orphans . Max Harrison wrote a favorable review of them , and that , in conjunction with the personnel , is enough to have me hoping they will somehow find their way onto CD at some point . For now , we'll have to make do with the Prince arrangements to be found on Lonehill's reissue of Saxes Inc. .

Is the Columbia reissue program dead?

Aside from budget re-reissues, and what Mosaic can license?

Man, I hope not, but it seems so. Those 'budget reissues' are not really 'reissues' but current stock that's been marked down from midprice. I ordered a copy of Rosewood from a local store and it came with barcode covered up with a new barcode on the shrinkwrap and the barcode on the label wrapper on top of the cd case had the barcode magic markered out. It also came in resealed.

Yeah, why reissue anything when no one is buying CD's anymore?

Good point. Maybe Columbia could digitize their vault like Verve? And sell (hopefully lossless) files through iTunes or eMusic? That's probably setting hopes too high.

Probably Mosaic is the most realistic route.