Art Pepper Select

Ron S

. . . and even if it is possible, it can be a royal pain. :wacko: But Brad, I know alternates can be great to have, especially with people like Bird, but I was more curious about these particular alternate takes. E.g., it's possible Pepper's solos vary little from take to take on this particular CD, making listening to 3 or 4 in a row a bit tiresome. Any feelings on that?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any feelings on that?

Ron — for me, I can live without those alternate takes. This period of Pepper's playing (for me) just doesn't generate the excitement as do later periods. The music is fine, of course, but I don't find myself returning with any specific eagerness to check out the alternates. Instead of sleuthing out the Japanese edition, unless you're a fanatic or completist — which is perfectly allright in my book — I'd save the money and spend it on other recordings.

2¢

Having all the alternates is NOT essential. They do differ from track to track but listening to all these in a row can be tedious.

This is among my favorite Pepper however, so I'm glad to have them myself; what I do often with collections like these is program the first alternates to listen to one time, the masters another time, the second alternates the next time, etc. But you may well be served by the one cd from Atlantic/Savoy. Or those two separate older cds, which have slightly better sound (in my opinion at least).

Is it worth the extra money to go out and have these when you can have the US version (which is what I have) and save the money for something else. Probably not. They are, after all, alternate takes of the same song. So I agree with Late and Lon.

If the question gets into the philosophy of pro and con on the idea of alternates take in general, I'm definitely on the pro side but I know others feel quite passionately on the con side, and it was either on this board or the BNBB that this very issue generated a lot of passion.

I think McMaster's 2002 remastering work on the Peppers for the Japanese market isn't so bad. I have all three SBJCs, and they sound pretty good to me. Nothing Addey-spectacular, but better than the original 80's U.S. reissues. More tape flaws are surfaced, but the drums (to my ears at least) are presented with more clarity. Some of those Omega tracks, remember, had fairly dubious sound to start off with. (Just my opinion, of course.)

Some of the tracks — those with Perkins, for instance — will have perhaps been remastered more recently (2003?), as they weren't included in the Japanese reissues.

I agree with Late on this. I thought the McMaster japanese versions were better sonically than the previous US releases.

But you may well be served by the one cd from Atlantic/Savoy.  Or those two separate older cds, which have slightly better sound (in my opinion at least).

Are we all agreed that the 2 older CD issues ("Surf Rides" and "Two Altos") have better sound than the later "Discovery Sessions"? If so, I may end up with that bitchin' "Surf Rides" cover after all. :g

Ron, yes I'm that Lon (that spent years 2 to 11 in Philly!) from the BN Board.

What? All of us agree on the sound of a cd? ^_^ Not bloody likely! I do confess that I MYSELF however prefer by an edge the sound of the Savoy Denon series to those by Atlantic/Savoy. Personal preferrences, system differences etc. make that just my choice.

Ron — if you can find them, I'd go for the Denons. (The ones with the yellow print on purple background for the spines.) That's a great series. Whenever I see that yellow-on-purple at a record store, I always do a double-take, and then check to see if I already have it. If you ever see Ronnie Ball's Savoy/Denon reissue, snag it! It's a good one.

Just to make sure we really beat the crap out of this poor dead horse beatdeadhorse.gif I'd like to make sure we're all talking about the same CD's. The later Savoy "Discovery Sessions" CD, which I think is the one Lon calls the Atlantic/Savoy CD (BTW, why?), is this one. And the so-called Savoy Denon CD's are this one and this one. Notice the negative comments on AMG about "Surf Ride" and the positive comments about the sound on "Discovery Sessions." Damn, this is confusing. :wacko:

I call it the Atlantic/Savoy because it is an Atlantic distributed and parent copy Savoy reissue. . . . Don't mistake me, the sound on this one is fine, I just happen to like the remastering of the Japanese Denon engineers a bit more than that of Paul Reid III for Atlantic/Savoy. . . .

Just to make sure we really beat the crap out of this poor dead horse beatdeadhorse.gif I'd like to make sure we're all talking about the same CD's. The later Savoy "Discovery Sessions" CD, which I think is the one Lon calls the Atlantic/Savoy CD (BTW, why?), is this one. And the so-called Savoy Denon CD's are this one and this one. Notice the negative comments on AMG about "Surf Ride" and the positive comments about the sound on "Discovery Sessions." Damn, this is confusing. :wacko:

You're killin' us (or trying to run up your post count). Get the bloody thing already or we'll be forced to take severe action :rsmile:

Live dangerously......get the Japanese 2-cd jobber w/all the alt. takes and be done with it. Don't make Brad mad. I wonder how long disc 9 on that forthcoming Stones "Singles 1968-71" box set will be?

DISC 9:

1. Sympathy For The Devil

2. Sympathy For The Devil

3. Sympathy For The Devil

4. Sympathy For The Devil

lick.gif

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

Live dangerously......get the Japanese 2-cd jobber w/all the alt. takes and be done with it. Don't make Brad mad. I wonder how long disc 9 on that forthcoming Stones "Singles 1968-71" box set will be?

DISC 9:

1. Sympathy For The Devil

2. Sympathy For The Devil

3. Sympathy For The Devil

4. Sympathy For The Devil

lick.gif

While you're at it, get both and then compare :Plick.gif

Looks like Pepper will soon be on its way:

We are in receipt of your Mosaic Records/True Blue Music order for which we

thank you very much.

The following items will ship within the next 24 hours:

Item Qty Qty Qty