Least Favorite Albums

Jazz Kat

Now I've always liked New Perspective, good feel about it, not groundbreaking stuff, but just feels nice.

My most pressing dislike is Kenny Dorham's 'Whistle Stop'. The compositions aren't much cop and the band sound stilted IMO. More reasons here on another Org post.

Possibly a dissapointment when lined up next to other KD recordings though?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larry Young - Of Love and Peace

Eddie Gale's playing here makes me want to kill myself.

When I listened to it the first time, I didn't hear anything that made me rush back to listen again...I'll have to pay attention to Gale and see if I get the same impression.

Man, I love most all of my Blue Notes, and I'm having trouble thinking of a bad one that isn't from the 70s.

I'm going with Kat on this one.

Byrd's A NEW PERSPECTIVE. I've personally never gotten through the whole thing.

Arrrrrghhh!

You guys are killing me. I love Byrd. A New Perspective was a bit of a shock to me because I started with so much bebop/hard bop. But I really love that album. Chant and Cristo Redentor are simply beautiful to me. I find myself whistling those tunes all the time.

Now if you had picked on the follow-up voices album, I'm Trying To Get Home I may not have been so quick to defend that one. I have a burned copy of that one. For me it didn't measure up to its predecessor.

Et tu BruceH? I've got to defend my man Byrd again on Slow Drag. The title track, Book's Bossa, and especially the ballad, My Ideal are all favorites of mine.

When the Duke Pearson Select came out I had fun comparing the versions of Cristo Redentor and Book's Bossa. I favor the Byrd versions, but those are two tracks that would probably sound good in anyone's hands.

I'm going with Kat on this one. 

Byrd's A NEW PERSPECTIVE.  I've personally never gotten through the whole thing.

Arrrrrghhh!

You guys are killing me. I love Byrd. A New Perspective was a bit of a shock to me because I started with so much bebop/hard bop. But I really love that album. Chant and Cristo Redentor are simply beautiful to me. I find myself whistling those tunes all the time.

Now if you had picked on the follow-up voices album, I'm Trying To Get Home I may not have been so quick to defend that one. I have a burned copy of that one. For me it didn't measure up to its predecessor.

Et tu BruceH? I've got to defend my man Byrd again on Slow Drag. The title track, Book's Bossa, and especially the ballad, My Ideal are all favorites of mine.

When the Duke Pearson Select came out I had fun comparing the versions of Cristo Redentor and Book's Bossa. I favor the Byrd versions, but those are two tracks that would probably sound good in anyone's hands.

I don't really remember dissing the album. I just said I don't get it. Weird. I'm not ready to mix voices with hard bop.

Im sorry for keep bringing this up. But everyone dislikes the Three Sounds? Wow, I'm sorry, this is just a complete shock. Anyone here actually like them?

I always thought they were great. Well, for a piano trio.

Back at the Blue Note Bulletin Board, I used the screen name "Gene Harris Fanatic" so you can guess how I feel about the Three Sounds.

And believe me, there are others here who are fans.

Now I've always liked New Perspective, good feel about it, not groundbreaking stuff, but just feels nice.

My most pressing dislike is Kenny Dorham's 'Whistle Stop'. The compositions aren't much cop and the band sound stilted IMO. More reasons here on another Org post.

aww, I love Whistle Stop. :(

aww, I love Whistle Stop. :(

I guess it shouldn't be all that surprising, but it really is interesting that one man's passion is another man's poison. Unfortunately my college roommate's passion was Poison. Sheeeeeesh! ;)

Palu Congo by Sabu Martinez is kind of a waste of time. I worked real hard to find this one cuz it was part of the 1500 Series, but when I finally tracked it down and listened to it, I had to wonder what I was thinking. I still have it but I think I've only heard it that one time. Lots of pointless pounding, whooping and hollering in an attempt to pungle up something akin to excitement, but with no discernable end in mind. Speaking of drum intensive albums, I'm not much of a fan of Blakey's Orgy in Rhythm Vols. 1 & 2 either. Way too much of an otherwise good thing, at least IMO.

Ditto on the two Byrd w/ voices albums. Never quite got the point of those.

There were more than a few Sidewinder-esque "funk" BN's in the '70's that I could live real well without. Can't think of any specific titles right now, but I sure know 'em when I hear 'em.

Up over and out.

Dude--don't mean to pry, but, shouldn't you be in school now? :blink:  Or is your birth year a typo? :rolleyes:

That is a good question.

JK, did you fake sick today? B-)

Today is mid term week. Today is the regents for 11 grade English. I have been off all week. I'll be in school on thrusday and friday for a half day. So now you can sleep at night! ;):P

Palu Congo by Sabu Martinez is kind of a waste of time. I worked real hard to find this one cuz it was part of the 1500 Series, but when I finally tracked it down and listened to it, I had to wonder what I was thinking. I still have it but I think I've only heard it that one time. Lots of pointless pounding, whooping and hollering in an attempt to pungle up something akin to excitement, but with no discernable end in mind. Speaking of drum intensive albums, I'm not much of a fan of Blakey's Orgy in Rhythm Vols. 1 & 2 either. Way too much of an otherwise good thing, at least IMO.

Ditto on the two Byrd w/ voices albums. Never quite got the point of those.

There were more than a few Sidewinder-esque "funk" BN's in the '70's that I could live real well without. Can't think of any specific titles right now, but I sure know 'em when I hear 'em.

Up over and out.

Didn't Blakey not like the Orgy In Rhythms album also?

Dude--don't mean to pry, but, shouldn't you be in school now? :blink:   Or is your birth year a typo? :rolleyes:

That is a good question.

Today is mid term week. Today is the regents for 11 grade English. I have been off all week. I'll be in school on thrusday and friday for a half day. So now you can sleep at night! ;):P

We're keeping our collective eye on you. :unsure:

Dude--don't mean to pry, but, shouldn't you be in school now? :blink:   Or is your birth year a typo? :rolleyes:

That is a good question.

We're keeping our collective eye on you. :unsure:

"You got the whole world watching me?"

"Son, that's what love is!"