2005 Connoisseurs

Late

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weizen,

I was at the Roney show tonight - I thought it was fabulous.  And Geri Allen sounded great on that Fender Rhodes.  Different strokes...

Really? I was at the 8....you? I was sitting at the table for three right next to the stairwell up (I like that table). Roney was great...but did you notice (assuming you were at the 8 show) how he suddenly started frowning at the end of the first number? No question about..pointing to his ear and shaking his head....he was clearly unhappy at the way things were 'gelling' and I figured it was that turntable biz gone bad. I really thought that turntable was an annoying distraction, as did the other two seated at my table. Then again, that woman in the red top (back facing me) with the silky blonde hair who kept slowly stroking it all night long was a 'berry, berry good' distraction. :g Say, you weren't the guy w/shaved head & leather jacket next to her, were you? :D As for Allen, when she was playing the piano, she was her usual magnificant self.....I just don't like the fender rhodes. The bass player was tremendous. All and all, the last 2 numbers (w/that lovely ballad) was what I'd really hoped to see when I walked through the door.

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

The "Consequence/High Frequency" two-fer looks unlikely. Michael reply to this was, "I was thinking about that, but they are not a real match in terms of personnel or approach." In the past, when he's said this, it didn't happen. It was a nice thought though.

Of course, he's also changed his mind about these kinds of things too. :)

Kevin

Thanks for trying!

Weizen,

I was at both shows (no cover in the second, so why not). I was sitting against the middle partition (so I got to hear all the dropped dishes - I think last night was a record). I was with a friend who mans the 'unofficial' Roney website. We got to talk to Wallace and Geri afterwards.

I think his frustration in the first tune was either because the arrangement fell apart, or because the sound was screwed-up (the tenor sounded weird to me). The turntables were used throughout both sets, so I don't think that was the problem. This is something that he has been doing for a while.

My friend has the whole setlist (except for some confusion in the second set, when they suddenly launched into Bitches' Brew). I'll post it when I can.

I agree that Val Jeanty, the turntablist, was quite a good looker. What silky blonde hair? She wore a knit cap the whole night! Turns out she's worked with Braxton and Wadada Leo Smith as well.

I had apprehensions about the turntable, but it worked for me.

Bertrand.

Weizen,

I was at both shows (no cover in the second, so why not). I was sitting against the middle partition (so I got to hear all the dropped dishes - I think last night was a record). I was with a friend who mans the 'unofficial' Roney website. We got to talk to Wallace and Geri afterwards.

I think his frustration in the first tune was either because the arrangement fell apart, or because the sound was screwed-up (the tenor sounded weird to me). The turntables were used throughout both sets, so I don't think that was the problem. This is something that he has been doing for a while.

My friend has the whole setlist (except for some confusion in the second set, when they suddenly launched into Bitches' Brew). I'll post it when I can.

I agree that Val Jeanty, the turntablist, was quite a good looker. What silky blonde hair? She wore a knit cap the whole night! Turns out she's worked with Braxton and Wadada Leo Smith as well.

I had apprehensions about the turntable, but it worked for me.

Bertrand.

<<<<I was sitting against the middle partition (so I got to hear all the dropped dishes - I think last night was a record). >>>>

Yes, that's for sure!! :lol::lol:

<<<I agree that Val Jeanty, the turntablist, was quite a good looker. What silky blonde hair? She wore a knit cap the whole night! >>>>

Yes, she was a looker...........but I was actually talking about a patron who was seated directly in front of me at another table. :)

That would be great if you could post any setlist info that you get from your friend.

Absolutely. All the tunes (except 'Brew') were from his last two records. There may have been a snippet in the second set from the forthcoming one (as announced), but nothing that really stood out.

The dishes thing was amazing - happened in both sets. We're grooving to Wallace, then suddenly 'crash'.

By the way, I called Friday AFTER the first set and they couldn't tell me who was in the band. Of course, Wallace only announced it at the beginning and end of each set. Blues Alley is a fucked-up joint in many ways.

I love the way we totally derailed this thread.

Bertrand.

By the way, I called Friday AFTER the first set and they couldn't tell me who was in the band. Of course, Wallace only announced it at the beginning and end of each set. Blues Alley is a fucked-up joint in many ways.

I love the way we totally derailed this thread.

<<<By the way, I called Friday AFTER the first set and they couldn't tell me who was in the band. Of course, Wallace only announced it at the beginning and end of each set. Blues Alley is a fucked-up joint in many ways.>>>

I know what you mean. During the Curtis Fuller show it took some 30 minutes for someone to pass me a note with the name of the trumpet player scribbled on it (Donvonte McCoy). I wasn't expecting 'snap too' service or anything but the funny thing was that she said she'd had a difficult time finding anyone in the 'back' who actually knew. I dunno, maybe that's not all that odd?

<<<<I love the way we totally derailed this thread.>>>>

Too true......I suppose we should bug out & refrain from offering up thorough critiques of the chips & salsa and assorted beverages that they serve in there. :)

pointing to his ear and shaking his head....

Under noraml circumstances, this is Universal Musician Sign Language to tell the sound technician that one is not able to hear one's self the way that oine would like to, and could you, misterormissus soundperson, please remedy the situation by brining me up in the monitor mix. Please.

This is inevitably followed by an intricate pantomime on the part of the sound technician in which the brow is furrowed, furious knob turning/slider adjustments appear to be made, a series yearning and sincere looks are thrown to the bandstand, and everything stays exactly like it was. :g:g:g:g:g

In my opinion "Hi Frequency" is more enjoying than "Consequences", which seems to suffer a bit from placing McLean to much in the BN formula of the day (one groove-type-tune etc.), but I appreciate Consequences bein reissued anyway. Hopefully "Hi Frequency" will come out too, either this time or in the future.

Re: the Cox albums. I don't think we'll see a twofer anyway near the 80 minute mark again, as I believe then there wouldn't be room for the Copy Control extras on the discs for the European market.

Re: the Cox albums. I don't think we'll see a twofer anyway near the 80 minute mark again, as I believe then there wouldn't be room for the Copy Control extras on the discs for the European market.

Michael Cuscuna is not a big fan of copy protection. This "limitation" might just make[/] him do this two-fer! :)

Michael Cuscuna is not a big fan of copy protection. This "limitation" might just make him do this two-fer! :)

Now when you mention it - wasn't there an album a year ago where this was the case, album length forcing BN to drop Copy Control from the European version?

about this copy control issue: please buy an Apple because it copies all the copy control cd's without any problem.

you don't need an Apple for that. On the contrary, from what I have read Apple machines are more likely to run into problems with some of these disks. This may only apply to older models of course.

The thing I'm most concerned about is not the possible unability to make copies, but the risk of slight scratches making the discs unplayable, plus the mentally discomforting fact that deliberate data errors have been introduced.

I have still not bought any copy controlled discs of any kind. I order my CDs from the US if I want a BN title, but I can definitely say that I'm buying less BN CDs nowadays.

I never had any problems with playing back Copy Controlled Blue Note's up until the recent "Dial S For Sonny" re-issue, as mentioned in the another post. However I never play them via a PC or Car Stereo.

Could it be that there is just a problem with the Euro version of "Dial S For Sonny" ? Maybe Kevin Bresnahan, with his "Cuscana Connection" could find out ?

And just for the record, you don't need any special type of PC or Software to copy these so called "Copy Controlled" CDs.

Are any of those european ZYX Fantasy 20-bit titles copy controlled? Reason I ask is that it took a good 8+ minutes (each) for Nero to 'fight' its way through the Adderley 'SF' and Monk 'Himself' digipaks. Normally, the data extraction stage would take 2 min. or thereabouts.

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

And just for the record, you don't need any special type of PC or Software to copy these so called "Copy Controlled" CDs.

Perhaps not a special PC, but the success of copying - or sometimes even playing - such a disc is higly dependent on CD/DVD drive of the PC, or, for that matter, DVD player.

Here's a couple of earlier threads on the subject:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...3&hl=protection

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...3&hl=protection