2005 Connoisseurs

Late

That's quite a bunch of new covers they're gonna hafta design, ain't it??

By my count, the following three titles will all need new designs, right???

Booker Ervin - Tex Book Tenor - 5 tracks

Jackie McLean - Consequence - 6 tracks

Ike Quebec - The Complete 45 Sessions (2 CDs) - 26 tracks

Last time around, they could only do one Conn that needed new cover art ("Dance With Death"), because of the expense involved (and you might recall, that's why the Booker Ervin got pushed out another year -- they couldn't afford two new covers in the same batch/year).

Have I got that right?? -- these three (above) will all need new covers, and the other three won't -- correct??

Yes, unless they are going to use this one:

bl7%20178.jpg

and a variation of this:

B00004RFVL.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Elmo Hope is a weird one. Who thought this was a candidate? I never heard anyone asking about this one. It caught me off guard. Just goes to show what some people ask them for. I guess the people requesting this title missed out the other two times it was out?

Pardon, but I'm rather uninformed about quite a few BN titles that are pre-1955.

Have either or both of these Elmo Hope titles been on CD before?? If so, where?? Can't imagine in the U.S. - otherwise there's no chance they'd be Conns (or else this'd be the first Conn ever that'd been released stateside before).

I'm guessing they've been out in Japan before.

Those 20 tracks were on the BN 1991 'Elmo Hope Trio and Quintet' release (CDP 7 84438 2). Nothing new under the BN sun! The CD had digital transfer by Ron McMaster.

The photo on the cover of that one was the same as the Elmo Hope and dog that graced the BN 5044 ten-incher.

Indispensable for fans of this awesome piano player!

Pardon, but I'm rather uninformed about quite a few BN titles that are pre-1955.

Have either or both of these Elmo Hope titles been on CD before??  If so, where??  Can't imagine in the U.S. - otherwise there's no chance they'd be Conns (or else this'd be the first Conn ever that'd been released stateside before).

They came out on a regular CD in 1991, and then again in the Collector's Choice series in 1997.

Sonny Clark's Sonny's Crib, Stanley Turrentine's Blue Hour and Hank Mobley's Straight No Filter had all come out before, although the Mobley had different configuration, the Turrentine had extra material, and the Clark was in stereo for the first time (if I remember correctly). So at least there was something new about those.

The Elmo Hope is a weird one. Who thought this was a candidate? I never heard anyone asking about this one. It caught me off guard. Just goes to show what some people ask them for. I guess the people requesting this title missed out the other two times it was out?

Have either or both of these Elmo Hope titles been on CD before?? If so, where?? Can't imagine in the U.S. - otherwise there's no chance they'd be Conns (or else this'd be the first Conn ever that'd been released stateside before).

I'm guessing they've been out in Japan before.

Those 20 tracks were on the BN 1991 'Elmo Hope Trio and Quintet' release (CDP 7 84438 2). Nothing new under the BN sun! The CD had digital transfer by Ron McMaster.

The photo on the cover of that one was the same as the Elmo Hope and dog that graced the BN 5044 ten-incher.

Indispensable for fans of this awesome piano player!

.... and then that CD was re-released as a limited edition in the Collector's Choice Series.

Is it too late for an organissimo poll to change the title of the Booker Ervin? I really dislike it. Hell, even Back From The Gig would be better!

Bertrand.

Let's start another (new) thread asking for ideas. If we can all get around one or two, maybe we can get Kevin to plant the idea(s) in Michael's ear.

Can't imagine "Tex Book Tenor" is set in stone yet, though who knows? :huh:

PS: I would think we'd need to get something decided on this within the next few weeks, at the very latest.

I'm happy to see the Elmo Hope material available again. Any complaints about that one are voiced under the impression that most people (1) go out of their way to buy Japanese reissues and (2) were hip to Hope's records eleven-or-so years ago. As it turns out, that's not very many people.

For October 2005:

Don Cherry - Where Is Brooklyn? - 5 tracks

Booker Ervin - Tex Book Tenor - 5 tracks

Andrew Hill - Andrew!!! - 8 tracks

Elmo Hope - Trio and Quintet - 20 tracks

Jackie McLean - Consequence - 6 tracks

Ike Quebec - The Complete 45 Sessions (2 CDs) - 26 tracks

Hi All,

Agreed that this is a great list, and I will be first in line to pick up the Ike Quebec!!!

However, I do wish at least a couple of the Connoisseur titles would have been albums that had never before been reissued on CD (e.g., the Kenny Cox stuff, or how about the Three Sounds - Vibrations... or several of the 4300 series?).

As it stands now, 5 of the 6 titles have already been out on CD.

Still, I'll be upgrading (hopefully) the Cherry, McLean, Hope, and Hill sets, and am pleased as hell to see the Quebec and Ervin sets!!! I just wish we had more "never before on CD, even in Japan, stuff"...

Cheers,

Shane

Edited by Indestructible!

Does anyone have a list of what BN titles (released on LP at least) that have yet to come out on CD (anywhere)?

Hi Ray,

Here's a shot at that list... I don't claim it to be exact, but it's pretty close. Anyone, feel free to amend/add/delete!

Cheers,

Shane

BLUE NOTE UNISSUED ON CD IN THE U.S. or JAPAN - 4000 SERIES

4248: The Three Sounds - Vibrations (10/25/66)

4278: Frank Foster - Manhattan Fever (3/21/68)

4285: The Three Sounds - Coldwater Flat (4/11/68, 4/12/68, 4/15/68)

4298: Stanley Turrentine - Always Something There (10/14/68, 10/28/68)

4300: Blue Mitchell - Collision in Black (9/11/68, 9/12/68)

4301: The Three Sounds - Elegant Soul (9/19/68, 9/20/68)

4302: Kenny Cox - Introducing Kenny Cox (12/9/68)

4308: Duke Pearson - Now Hear This! (12/2/68, 12/3/68) [Note: 3 Tracks not issued on CD]

4309: Horace Silver - You Gotta Take a Little Love (1/10/69, 1/17/69)

4316: Frank Foster (unissued) (1/31/69)

4324: Blue Mitchell - Bantu Village (5/22/69, 5/23/69)

4328: Jack Wilson - Song for My Daughter (9/28/68, 12/16/68, 4/23/69)

4339: Kenny Cox - Multidirection (11/26/69)

4341: The Three Sounds - Soul Symphony (9/26/69)

4348: Brother Jack McDuff - To Seek a New Home (3/23/70, 3/24/70, 3/26/70)

4354: Jeremy Steig - Wayfaring Strangers (3/??/70)

4355: Joe Williams - Worth Waiting For (5/5/70)

4364: Jimmy McGriff - Something to Listen To (9/??/70)

4365: Reuben Wilson - A Groovy Situation (9/18/70, 9/25/70)

4370: Lou Donaldson - Cosmos (7/16/71)

4374: Jimmy McGriff - Black Pearl (2/??/71)

4376: Bobby Hutcherson - Head On (7/1/71, 7/3/71)

4377: Reuben Wilson - Set Us Free (7/23/71)

4378: Gene Harris - The Three Sounds (7/26-27/71, 8/2-3/71)

4413: Grant Green - Shades of Green (11/23/71, 11/24/71)

4421: Bobbi Humphrey - Dig This (7/20/72, 7/21/72)

4422: Marlena Shaw - Marlena (8/10/72, 8/11/72, 8/16/72)

4423: Gene Harris - Gene Harris of the Three Sounds (6/29/72, 6/30/72)

Edited by Indestructible!

Bertrand,

Ah yes, I forgot about the dreaded Applause label. I'll take those off the list (and I knew there was one Turrentine on the Mosaic box, but I couldn't remember the name off the top of my head). Thanks!!!

Also, I read in Ruppli's BN discography that two more on the list, the Three Sounds - Soul Symphony and Elegant Soul were released on CD in South Africa. Anyone have these?

Cheers,

Shane

You can scratch McDuff’s Who Knows What Tomorrow's Gonna Bring? off the list, since it was recently reissued by Water.

As for LPs recorded before the 70s, these can be added to the list:

5036: Urbie Green - New Faces, New Sounds (12/27/53)

LT 1057: Harold Land - Take Aim (7/25/60)

GXF 3057: Kenny Burrell - Freedom (3/27/63, 4/2/63, 10/22/64)

LT 993: Stanley Turrentine - New Time Shuffle (2/17/67, 6/23/67)

4295: Reuben Wilson - On Broadway (10/4/68)

McCoy Tyner - ’Cosmos’ (4/4/69) [half of the double album BN-LA 460-H2]

- this has not been on CD yet, but will come out on an upcoming Mosaic Select.

There were six Turrentine tracks from 1967 on his ”Best Album” (BN-LA 394-H2) that haven’t been anywhere else. There are also unissued Turrentine tracks from that period. A CD combining them all would be nice.

From the 70s there are plenty of other titles of course – Lou Donaldson, Horace Silver etc.