Book of Poems

Late

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are Laura Riding & Mary Butts in the antho?

Riding is ("Helen's Burning," "The Map of Places," and "The "World and I"), but Butts isn't.

Lorine Niedecker and George Oppen get the fairer chunk of the "Open Form" section (though Creeley, Levertov, and Snyder figure in, as would be expected ... ). Samuel Menashe (who I'm not familiar with) also's there, along with a host of others.

Butts is British not American, so there's no reason for her to be in the Gioia et al book. Plus most of her poetry remains unpublished I believe (unless there's a recent edition I missed? I haven't read Butts for a little while). There's a longish poem of hers in Keith Tuma's Oxford anthology, FWIW.

MOTHERfuck Jorie Graham

Have you read Jorie's first book? (Hybrids of Plants and of Ghosts.) It's actually pretty damn good. I can't get with her work from then on, but that first one, at least for me, is a keeper.

Say, you might want to purchase a copy of that anthology!

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I just had the fine privilege of having my book reviewed in the most recent Notre Dame Review. The author of the review, Bob Archambeau, is a professor at Wake Forrest. I don't know if anyone here reads NDR, but the recent issue just came out this week.

Since this thread was initially started, Leaving won the Stafford-Hall Oregon Book Award. Mark Doty judged.