Time To Ditch VHS

Thanks for the suggestions.

I hadn't really thought of the DVD/VHS combos

because I've gotten used to doing those transfers

thru a desktop setup. Could be easier, but

I wonder how easy it is to actually edit the stuff tho...

Anyway, I've put off getting this Panasonic unit

that has a 400 GB HD. I figured the price would come down

in a few months, but the Pansies have taken it off the market.

That one and the other 2 or 3 top models of theirs are now gone

and probably are to be found on eBay only. Maybe there's not

much need for 400, 160, and/or 120 GB HDs.

Some retailers have a bad habit of not updating their websites,

so I've been getting "not-in-stock-anymore" answers from about

6 different places, so I'm at nearly square one again.

Yes, the 14 hours on a disc idea is at very low resolution on

double-sided discs. These companies tell you grand stories

but they're based on the low end of the hardware.

The 400 GB HD unit that I mentioned above can record 709 hours

of stuff, but it'll look like VHS at EP setting.

At various settings your single-sided disc will hold either

1/2/4/6 or 8 hours. Double-sided: 2/4/8/12/ and 16 hours (double-natch ;) )

I've got a discount coupon, so off to Best Buy...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Edited by rostasi

I think Hard drive recorders would be the way to go, like Lon said. I'm not going back to video tape, VHS, beta, or S-VHS. Ever. I have been very happy with the quality of dvds in general. For every Criterion there are companies who skimp on mastering quality, which is no different than the vcr days, with the exception (and this is important for me) being that the tapes don't deteriorate after being played many times. I can back up my movies and have no loss of quality.

They are out there. You also could just get one of the burners with the hard drive. And patch in the VHS to the burner (or the hard drive section, and then from there to the burner) if your machine can hold up long enough to do the transfers. . . .

This JVC unit seems to fit the bill......a bit pricey though. I must say, some of the supposedly 'helpful' online reviews out there just make me wharp out. Even something as elementary (to some) as:

On DVD players, the progressive scan signal is sent via component video connections, which are labeled Y, Pb, Pr. Component video connections labeled Y,Cb,Cr transfer only interlaced signals. In addition, standard AV and S-Video connections do not transfer progressive scan video images. If you hookup a progressive scan output to a non-progressive scan TV input, you will not get an image. In addition, in order to view progressive scan with reverse 3:2 pulldown, either the DVD player or Television need to have 3:2 pulldown detection. The preference would be for the DVD player have the 3:2 pulldown detection and actually perform the reverse pulldown function, with a progressive scan capable television displaying the image as fed from the DVD player. There are menu options in both a progressive scan DVD player and a progressive scan capable television that will assist you setting up a progressive scan capable DVD player and television or video projector.

......just drives me insane. :crazy: Like having to decipher a squirrel's chatter.

Jump Past the Commercials

SO, you recorded your favorite TV shows and you included the commercials. When you play your shows back, “Commercial Skip” lets you jump past the ads, 30 seconds at a time. Just press the CM Skip button on the remote.

The best of all features. I'd superglue my finger to that CM Skip button on the Pioneer. On these hard drive units -- can you record 2 programs at the same time and watch a DVD during?

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

I bought a Panasonic ES-10 DVD recorder from Best Buy a few months ago and I love it. It was an open box item, so it only cost me 80 bucks, which is WELL worth it. (Especially for a history teacher.)

The hard drive recorder would be pretty sweet too. I'm probably gonna upgrade to a DVR when my cable special runs out in February, though.

Technology is cool.

Jump Past the Commercials

SO, you recorded your favorite TV shows and you included the commercials. When you play your shows back, “Commercial Skip” lets you jump past the ads, 30 seconds at a time. Just press the CM Skip button on the remote.

The best of all features. I'd superglue my finger to that CM Skip button on the Pioneer. On these hard drive units -- can you record 2 programs at the same time and watch a DVD during?

What do you want, egg in your beer??? :huh:

I don't know about the Hard drive DVD units, but with the DISH network DVR thingy, I have recorded two programs at the same time, while watching something I have previously recorded on it (remember that we have one unit working two TV's) I also have a DVD player hooked up into my VCR, so I could record 2 programs, while watching a DVD, but probably wouldn't want that many devices! :wacko:

What sounds better with the DISH recorder, is that you can skip thru commercials at X4, X15, X60 and X300! I usually use X60 which seems clearer than X15 for those 4-5 minute commercial breaks. I can see no reason for X300 except if I want to record a program after watching it for an hour...if I haven't changed channels, I can run back up to 2 hours hit record, then hit live TV to get back to present action.