Stefano di Battista - Parker's Mood

bluesForBartok

I saw this young player Live on jazz club in Paris , an outstanding performance !!

Some recommandations of this Italian Artist ( from Roma )

VOLARE

A PRIMA VISTA

ROUND ABOUT ROMA

PARKER'S MOOD

If you don't know what is a "as fast a possible tempo" , play "Donna lee" from "Parker's Mood" Dibatista cd ;)

Edited by bary01

I have listened to "Round About Roma" many times. In fact, I spun it over the Christmas holidays at my in-laws house. They're the smooth jazz fans that I gave it to. To my ears, and theirs, it sounds like a smooth jazz date. It does not sound like any "with strings" jazz date that I have.

My favorite strings date is Stan Getz "Focus" but Art Pepper's "Winter Moon" is also up there. Cannonball's is a good one too... and no, I have to admit, I do not have Charlie Parker with strings. I should rectify that some day.

EDIT - BTW, this does not mean that "Round About Roma" is "bad", it's just not my style. I like DiBattista's other US release and I will try to get his latest.

Later,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin......how can you make such a statement. I guess you didn't listen too closely because it's a suberb CD not in the least because of Vince Mendoza who I admire greatly.

---

t h a n k you!

-e-

hold on just a minute fellas! someone politely disagrees with your opinion of a recording, so they must not be listening to it properly? it's a superb cd because you say it is? according to amg, round about roma features a "silky smooth jazz touch." they go on to say, "some jazz aficionados may view this production as being a tad synthetic or more conducive to department store music." while i'm sure you don't agree with their assessment, it's an apt description to some people's ears, including my own. the sound clips i've heard of parker's mood, on the other hand, are much more to my liking. still, i wonder why di battista chose the same title as roy hargrove's 1995 tribute to bird?

Edited by jazzshrink

I only know Vince Mendoza from Joni Mitchell's BOTH SIDES NOW album, but I enjoyed his work therein. Sort of a fsuion between Nelson Riddle & Gordon Jenkins, which although not especially "original" in and of itself, is still quite skillful (and perhaps even evolutionarily necessary) in reconciling the opposite tendencies of those two men in the creation of a kind of "collective memory sound" of two of the most prolific/influential arrangers of the era.

Nice to see a thread on di Battista! I consider him one of my favourite alto saxophonists of late. His sound is big and beautiful, and he's beyond being a virtuoso, it seems. I heard several live gigs of his quartet with Rosario Bonaccorso (b), André Ceccarelli (d), and Eric Legnini (p). They must be one of the best hard-/post-bop units around, with VERY open ears, interacting in a way that goes far beyond the usual bop band.

I just picked up Parker's Mood in a used copy-crap version this week and didn't yet have a time to listen, but it seems to be more of an all star affair, with Barron and Riley replacing his bandmates. I wish his quartet (which is, or probably was, sometimes expanded to be a quintet with the addition of Flavio Boltro, another italian Blue Note or ex-Blue Note recording artist) would do a record (or even better: a live record)!

Besides the Parker disc I have "Round About Roma" and have to admit that I didn't yet really warm to it. It's a very subtle record, thus I understand it might sound like smooth jazz to some ears, but I think there IS more to it than that. Will have to spin it again.

Whatever: big :tup to di Battista!

(by the way: the Elvin connection: Elvin called him up to play in his band, which seems - if Battista's interviews are to be believed - to have been of crucial importance for di Battista's musical growth and evolving)

ubu

hold on just a minute fellas! someone politely disagrees with your opinion of a recording, so they must not be listening to it properly?

yeah, i'd say that's an accurate deduction... -_- no, not at all. don't take my comments to mean anything of the sort.

still, i wonder why di battista chose the same title as roy hargrove's 1995 tribute to bird?

my money's on the odds that batitista's not even aware of that recording...

hold on just a minute fellas! someone politely disagrees with your opinion of a recording, so they must not be listening to it properly?

yeah, i'd say that's an accurate deduction... -_- no, not at all. don't take my comments to mean anything of the sort.

"I guess you didn't listen too closely because it's a suberb CD..."

it's this remark, and your quoted agreement of it, that prompted my response. my point is this: music appreciation is all a matter of opinion, isn't it?

He is really burnin. I got into him throguh Mike Weil who sent me his playing with that great scatter Gege Telesforo. He has the type of chops and stylistic motivations that can go two ways - one he can sound all metallic and smooth doing all the altissimo acrobatics that guys like Brecker sound like when you put them in a pop setting. But the other side of Battista just wants to blow hard-bop with the new things that people like Hargrove and Kenny Garrett and a host of others put in for flava.

It's really all about what setting (with what supporting players) this guy is in. He can swing hard and he can play "to the swooning crowd" too. He's just versatile - only one way we purists take it as an affront against our straight-ahead values and principles.

I found "Parker's Mood" to be one of the most pointless records I have ever heard. Virtuosically played, of course, but I fail to see the interest of slavish recreation (note-for-note at times). Why buy this when the originals are available cheaper?

I'm also in the '"Round About Roma" is dull' camp.