Howard Riley

Swinger

I haven't heard Angle, but The Day Will Come is a marvelous record — deserving, I think, of the crown the Penguin Guide awards it.

To my ears, the album is very structured while still improvisationally free (if that makes any sense). I sometimes wonder if Marilyn Crispell (slightly pre-ECM) listened to Riley, or if Riley ever heard Don Friedman when they were both developing their own respective approach to playing. At any rate, Riley, in my book, is a rare breed of pianist: forward-looking, but never without a sense of control. I love Cecil Taylor, but Riley is an altogether different branch of the Free Tree, and a branch that probably is a lot less commented upon.

• 3 years later...

Searched high and low for a thread on Riley and this is all I found. I'm shocked!

The man is stunning.

I've just struck it lucky with the following on vinyl, £8 for the pair:

Riley and Tippett - In Focus

Riley and Byard - Live at the Royal Festival Hall

Nearly at the end of In Focus and I'm blown away. It is incredibly musical and not as abstract as I assumed it would be. There are even a few jolly moments thrown in.

Late's perception of Riley is spot-on, especially the Crispell connection (I think I made the same reference in a review of a disc by the Guy/Crispell/Lytton trio).

It's interesting to hear the progression of his music across the trios in the '60s/early '70s - always with Barry Guy, and Jon Hiseman, Alan Jackson and Tony Oxley occupying the drum chair. The electro-acoustic improvisation of the Oxley years is great, but I have a fondness for the structures of The Day Will Come (Guy wrote a lot of the pieces there) and the supple-yet-agitated swing of Discussions, his first as a leader.

Listening to Gyroscope by the Gordon Beck trio featuring Oxley earlier...I have to say, I like Oxley a lot better when not playing 'time' (p.s. a comment not meant to sound barbed in any way - I like his 'time' just fine, but don't think it's nearly as exceptional as his 'free' playing).

Edited by Red

That Gordon Beck record is pretty good.

Oxley's a fine "time" player, sort of reminiscent (to me) of Joe Chambers or a young Tony Williams. Certainly, his more "sound"-oriented structural work in improvised music is of a piece, and quite unique. I think they have to be taken differently, and the latter within the context of either his own compositions or frameworks that allow him to work in "abstract" areas.

Edited by clifford_thornton

• 4 years later...

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that.

As a side note, this seller has been pissing me the fuck off for the last year and a half clogging up my Anthony Braxton and Cecil Taylor searches with their ludicrously overpriced CDs. The price for the Oxley, obviously, is a shade more reasonable. But if no one has paid $150 for your Dortmund (Quartet) 1976 CD in the other 50 times you've listed it, what makes you think they would now? And why are you asking $80 (initially $200!!) for Willisau 1991 when you admit your copy is missing a slipcase and disc 3 is unplayable?

End rant, sorry. I spend too much time on ebay.

Thanks for posting that clip, Alex. On the strength of it I went straight to Emanem and purchased Synopsis - what a terrific album. Don't know how this trio passed me by.

Whilst I agree that "Synopsis" and the trio with Tony Oxley is excellent, I still prefer Howard's two albums with Alan Jackson on drums - "Angle" and in particular, "The Day Will Come". Unfortunately, as mentioned above, both are now OOP and pretty hard to find at a reasonable price.

Edited by Head Man

• 8 months later...

I first posted in this thread ... eight years ago! Finally found, and purchased, the CD of Angle. I must say, I think it's just as good as The Day Will Come. The later record likely has more memorable compositions — melodically, that is — and it feels more cohesive as a whole, but the earlier record is a little wilder, and in a good way. Barry Guy's playing is just phenomenal. The stand-alone duo track on Angle (Riley on piano, and Barbara Thompson on flute) is not a distraction, as I initially thought it might be. In fact, it's a very nice reprieve from the high energy of the proceedings. It's through-composed, and very short, even though it's in three movements. Sounds very much like contemporary classical, which isn't actually surprising given Riley's education and interests.

What's especially nice about both Angle and The Day Will Come is that they were so well-recorded. Guy's bass is a joy to listen to. It's a small crime to humanity that these two CDs aren't out in the marketplace — at least readily and affordably. The CDs were initially issued in 1999. I remember when Dusty Groove sold them. (I think their price was $12.99.) I can't see Sony (unfortunately) issuing them again, but who knows?

Searching for Howard Riley (without quotation marks), I hit upon this recording. Never have heard it, don't know who the artist is, but the title (given the thread here) struck me as humorous.

post-282-0-41981200-1366865286_thumb.jpg

I recently listened to Angle and The Day Will Come again and oh man they sound really nice :) They were indeed very well recorded and I still enjoy every minute of them. It's a crying shame they are not anymore easily available (the same goes with Tony Oxley: The Baptized Traveller which came in same serie). I recently bought the 6CD boxset The Complete Short Stories 1998-2010 mentioned above and although I like his playing very much, I still prefer those those early albums.

I recently listened to Angle and The Day Will Come again and oh man they sound really nice :) They were indeed very well recorded and I still enjoy every minute of them. It's a crying shame they are not anymore easily available (the same goes with Tony Oxley: The Baptized Traveller which came in same serie). I recently bought the 6CD boxset The Complete Short Stories 1998-2010 mentioned above and although I like his playing very much, I still prefer those those early albums.

I agree with you that these are his two most enjoyable albums. I think it has lot to do with the drummer on the two dates. At that time Alan Jackson was probably the best jazz drummer in London and it's always been a mystery to me as to why he's not better known.