200 car pile-up on Michigan's I-96

We had some weird weather the last few days here in Mid-Michigan. First we get dumped on by snow. Then it warms up and all the snow melts but causes massive fog. Now it's raining like crazy and by tomorrow it's supposed to be freezing again.

Anyway, I'm glad I didn't take to the highway yesterday. I travel this route constantly when I go to Ann Arbor to do freelance work.

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...EWS01/501130352

This is literally 10 miles from my house! It is also the route that my wife takes 99% of the time to go to and from her work. I guess I can be thankful she's on disability!

We did get on northbound I-127 to go to the grocery store and I couldn't believe how fast some people were going. It's 55mph through Lansing and people were going 75mph in the dense fog.

I saw a documentary on cable where it's proven that people drive faster in fog. The reason is that in really dense fog, you can't tell how fast you are going because you can't see trees, road signs, etc. They are what give you your sense of velocity (frame of reference) so people, without meaning to, drive faster.

And that's bad...

We did get on northbound I-127 to go to the grocery store and I couldn't believe how fast some people were going. It's 55mph through Lansing and people were going 75mph in the dense fog.

I saw a documentary on cable where it's proven that people drive faster in fog. The reason is that in really dense fog, you can't tell how fast you are going because you can't see trees, road signs, etc. They are what give you your sense of velocity (frame of reference) so people, without meaning to, drive faster.

And that's bad...

Funny, I thought your sense of speed came from that round guage below the dashboard.

I'd suggest the real reason is that the vast majority of dingbats on the road haven't the common sense to recognize when conditions do not allow them to drive as fast as they normally do, so you have idiots going 75 in fog-bound conditions, and then you get 200 car pileups.