New Member Welcome!

The Forest Cafe is still there and it's still great food... and usually good beer too. They always have at least one German beer on tap. During the summer is Franziskaner Hefe Weiss too. Yum.

75e4fcxf339647af0xx7ffe.gif

Forest Cafe? Some Harvard yuppie joint? :lol: Shame on you Kevin....you KNOW that the place to go for good brew is Jacob Wirth? ;) ....140 years and still going strong (well, last Dec. they were anyway. :unsure: ). Look at that bar setup w/the porcelain taps, Catesta....and that mammoth well-aged & smoked chunk-o-ancient oak behind the bar. No suds sitting in that line for 10 days and getting stale like at so many other joints......those lines flow like a fountain.

238016xe9d5123418xx7ffb.gif

http://www.jacobwirth.com/index4_1.html

IMPORTED DRAFT BEER pint pitcher

Spaten Lite, Germany $4.25 $17

Spaten Optimator, Germany $4.25 $17

Hoffbrau Original, Germany $5 $16

Warsteiner Pilsner, Germany $4.25 $17

Ayinger Celebrator, Germany $6.50 $28

Hoegarden White, Belgium $4.25 $17

Stella Artois Lager, Belgium $4.25 $17

Bass Ale, England $4.25 $17

Frankenheim Alt, Germany $5 $20

Fransiskaner Double Bock Weissbier, Germany $6 $19

Paulaner Hefeweizen Wheat, Germany (20 oz. / pitcher) $6.50 $20

Warsteiner Premium Dunkel Dark, Germany (20 oz. / pitcher) $5 $20

Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, England $5 $20

Guinness Stout, Dublin, Ireland $5 $16

Clausthaler Premium Non-Alcoholic, Germany (12 oz. bottle) $3.75

Martens Low Carb Lager, Belgium(12oz. bottle) $3.75

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

The Forest Cafe is still there and it's still great food... and usually good beer too. They always have at least one German beer on tap. During the summer is Franziskaner Hefe Weiss too. Yum.

Forest Cafe? Some Harvard yuppie joint? :lol:

absotutely not. just the best real live south of the border chow (yet i have not been in a couple years but the best IMO these days is Cafe Azteca in Lawrence right by the courthouse and closer to Kevin). half of the Forest was an Irish bar, split right down the middle long ways. Yuppie must be the Border Cafe your thinking of.;) just don't let Joe Christmas know.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Forest Cafe?  Some Harvard yuppie joint?  :lol:  Shame on you Kevin....you KNOW that the place to go for good brew is Jacob Wirth? ;)  ....140 years and still going strong (well, last Dec. they were anyway. :unsure:  ).    Look at that bar setup w/the porcelain taps, Catesta....and that mammoth well-aged & smoked chunk-o-ancient oak behind the bar.    No suds sitting in that line for 10 days and getting stale like at so many other joints......those lines flow like a fountain. 

http://www.jacobwirth.com/index4_1.html

IMPORTED DRAFT BEER  pint  pitcher

Spaten Lite, Germany  $4.25  $17

Spaten Optimator, Germany  $4.25  $17

Hoffbrau Original, Germany  $5  $16

Warsteiner Pilsner, Germany  $4.25  $17

Ayinger Celebrator, Germany  $6.50  $28

Hoegarden White, Belgium  $4.25  $17

Stella Artois Lager, Belgium  $4.25  $17

Bass Ale, England  $4.25  $17

Frankenheim Alt, Germany  $5  $20

Fransiskaner Double Bock Weissbier, Germany  $6  $19

Paulaner Hefeweizen Wheat, Germany (20 oz. / pitcher)  $6.50  $20

Warsteiner Premium Dunkel Dark, Germany (20 oz. / pitcher) $5  $20

Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, England $5 $20

Guinness Stout, Dublin, Ireland  $5 $16

Clausthaler Premium Non-Alcoholic, Germany (12 oz. bottle)  $3.75

Martens Low Carb Lager, Belgium(12oz. bottle)  $3.75

Weizen, only one hefe-weiss? Nah, I wouldn't go there before I went to Ed Miller's Wirtshaus in Metheun. Ed pours about 6 or 7 hefes, depending on what he can get any week. The last time I was in there, I had a choice between Ayinger, Tucher, Weihenstephaner, Franziskaner, Julius Echter, Schneider-Weiss and Paulaner.

BTW, have you ever used this website to find good German restaurants. I was surprised to find it. Seeing it list the Wirtshaus as well as my favorite, The Student Prince in Springfield, I'm going to have to investigate this more. :D

Later,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Weizen, only one hefe-weiss? 

Julius Echter,

Well, two --- that Franziskaner Doppelbock is like a Schneider Weisse on steroids. Interesting link you posted....definitely not familiar with that place in Methuen. Has it been around for eons? I've never seen Julius Echter on tap and assume you're talking bottles? If not, consider yourself a very lucky man! ...and get the guest room all fixed up 'cause I'll be right up! :g

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen