New Member Welcome!

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls - put your hands together for the hardest working man in Cambridge, Mass., the owner and operator of the world-famous Stereo Jack's at 1686 Mass. Ave. - a *real* *live* *independent* record store -

http://www.stereojacks.com/

(I regret that I've never personally ever handed over my paycheck to him, but I know there are some folks here who have. Please step forward and testify.)

You've seen his name in liner note credits (Koch label springs to mind). Those in the Boston listening area may remember him from his 18 years doing radio shows on WMBR and WGBH. He's a wealth of knowledge - not just jazz, neither.

He was recently up for discussion here for his outstanding work compiling the jazz musicians pseudonyms list hosted on my website. Jack has been one of the good things about the Internet for a long time. He's well-known to many of us here already. If you don't know him yet, treat him nice and you'll go far.

(And remember, he's got his own store, so he won't be trying to sell you stuff here......not until he's made the requisite 10 posts.)

Mike

Jack probably can't post today as it's the last day of his one-week, annual sale! :)

Stereo Jack's is my favorite place to go. I try like heck to buy most of my CDs and LPs there because I would never want to see this place close. As I mentioned on Jazz Corner, the Boston are has been losing brick & mortar stores left and right. Just last week, Disc Diggers in Somerville closed its doors. Jack's place can't close.

I think one of the best things about shopping at Jack's is the "shopping conversations". I've had some great ones there. Bob Blumenthal is in there and when Jack and him get going... watch out. :) There have been a couple of good ones with Peter Wolf (of J.Geils Band fame). A few of my CDs are a direct result of just asking Jack about it. Barry Harris's "Illumination" is one I remember Jack extolling. I do dig it. I also remember Bob Blumenthal telling me the one Johnny Griifin date that everyone "must have" is "Jazz Studio Party". Well, now I have it. It's just a great place to shop.

Later,

Kevin

Former Bostonian and, yes, a regular Stereo Jack's customer back in the day. I still make a pilgramage to Jack's whenever I visit Boston/Cambridge (once or twice a year. Hope to make a trip later this coming spring, in fact). Welcome to the board! It's like having a little piece of home...(snif) :(

and for Chris' interest what used to be the best Mex in town is right next door. :tup please advise if that is still the case!?

welcome to the O

Are you referring to the Forest Cafe? I think it was under construction for several months last year...haven't checked it out yet as I seem to remember the food was a bit expensive for a student (at least compared to the dirt cheap taquerias around Harvard and Porter Squares--Anna's, Boca Grande, and Felipe's). Will have to check it out sometime.

Also, one of my very favorite restaurants, Chez Henri, is about a block and a half down the street.

and for Chris' interest what used to be the best Mex in town is right next door.  :tup  please advise if that is still the case!?

welcome to the O

Are you referring to the Forest Cafe? I think it was under construction for several months last year...haven't checked it out yet as I seem to remember the food was a bit expensive for a student (at least compared to the dirt cheap taquerias around Harvard and Porter Squares--Anna's, Boca Grande, and Felipe's). Will have to check it out sometime.

Also, one of my very favorite restaurants, Chez Henri, is about a block and a half down the street.

The Forest Cafe is still there and it's still great food... and usually good beer too. They always have at least one German beer on tap. During the summer is Franziskaner Hefe Weiss too. Yum.

I like the Burritos Tres Marias.

FWIW, there are also a couple of good Thai restaurants nearby. One in Harvard Square and another up the road near Porter Square.

Later,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan